How to downgrade to 4.1.1 from 4.3 Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M

Search This thread

Sinyk

Jun 10, 2014
If I have already done the free unlock in the past and since upgraded to 4.3, but now I want to downgrade because 4.3 is terrible, will I lose the unlock that I already applied?

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Something tells me I didn't have the 4.3 bootloader if you're all asking about it. How do I tell?
Boot into download mode. If you see something about warranty bit, you had the 4.3 bootloader.

If I have already done the free unlock in the past and since upgraded to 4.3, but now I want to downgrade because 4.3 is terrible, will I lose the unlock that I already applied?

Do you have the stock 4.3 bootloader on your phone? If you do, you cannot roll back to an earlier ROM as 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 modems don't work on the 4.3 bootloader.

pinter83

Sep 27, 2012
Toronto
Boot into download mode. If you see something about warranty bit, you had the 4.3 bootloader.
Do you have the stock 4.3 bootloader on your phone? If you do, you cannot roll back to an earlier ROM as 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 modems don't work on the 4.3 bootloader.

Oh ok I get it. I do not have the 4.3 bootloader then. I was wondering why people were having issues when I could do it without issue. Thanks for clearing this up for me :good:

santij07

Jan 23, 2014
Yes I flashed stock 4.1.1 from samfirmware following instructions exactly....I successfully get to 4.1.1 BUT with NO IMEI on my phone and no way to restore it with EFS pro.....it claims the restore works but it never does...
I had to flash 4.3 from samfirmware back to my phone and my imei came back thankfully! Than I had to get it out of factory mode back into user mode...what a mess....I do not reccommend anyone try this unless you find another way besides EFS pro to backup your info and restore it on 4.1.1 because that program sure did not even tho it said success over and over.....reboots - battery pulls nothing helped!
Strange thing , no matter how many times i flash 4.3 with odin I never get knox back...where did it go that it cannot show up anymore? lol

You need the NON-HLOS.bin from stockrom 4.3 to have imei and network because the bootloader is 4.3, I explain that in the first post, just flash the NON-HLOS.bin from 4.3.

macasus76

Jan 25, 2012
Saint Louis Mo
I was wondering if I possibly have a custom bootloader and can downgrade to carrier unlock?
Odin mode reads as follows

Product Name: SGH-I747
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
Qualcomm Secureboot: Enable
Warranty Bit: 1
Bootloader RP SWREV: 3

OP? Anyone?
Thanks! !!!!

macasus76

Jan 25, 2012
Saint Louis Mo
Didn't know I asked multiple times. And if someone else asked it wasn't explained and or I wasn't understanding what I was reading in Odin mode. My bad Doc

ocarela

Nov 27, 2013
Yes, I just used Odin (not Kies) and flashed the 4.1.1 image I had and once it rebooted, it came back up. Only thing I did before hand was format /data /system /cache and the dalvik and I had no issues. Only thing I can say was I was runnin CM and not OEM images.

I did this once, if you updated from 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 to 4.3 with custom rom you may be able to downgroade to 4.1.1 as i did, but if OEM 4.3 rom is installed its kind off impossible!

REGARDS!

wnb_jr

Aug 30, 2013
HELPPPP

I just installed an android software update. Now my phone is hard bricked. How do i uninstall the update and revert back to my last OS?

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
If the phone is bard bricked, you'll have to use try using the debrick thread to fix it. Hopefully, the debrick will work for a 4.4.2 bricked phone.

So your phone has zero signs of life?

Reactions: mrrocketdog

xisle35

Sep 30, 2015
dowgrade bootloader

no urls. great. that's helpful. xda-dev boards has a thread at forum xda-developers /showthread.php?t=2502464 a method for downgrading from the 4.3 bootloader to an unlocked knox free wifi working version. I'm wondering if this was discussed and if it would overcome the bootloader problem in downgrading to 4.1.1 and getting free carrier unlock. I do not know enough about this stuff to just willy nilly try it, wondering if it's been discussed and i missed it.
yes, i used the search function.

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Once you have the MJB or newer bootloader on the phone, the bootloader cannot be downgraded, unlike the some versiond of the Note 2 (e.g.sgh-i317m).

Attempts to downgrade the s3 bootloader from 4.3 or newer may hard brick the s3.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, a month ago I did something wrong with my Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M for not read here before do an upgrade that the new bootloader are locked and have a new counter called Knox but I upgrade to 4.3 from Rogers because I don't want to wait for the official 4.3 Claro Network, then I want to downgrade but Odin FAIL Oh noooo and trip the new counter to 1, when I knew what the problem was, I do a mixed Rom and works Very good on Claro Puerto Rico Network and I want to share my knowledge and what I do to this Model of S3 variation, I want to help and to be helped too. Just follow this simple instruction:

JUST FOR GALAXY SGH-I747M DEVICES

I don’t know if works with other variant of S3 or Samsung Devices.

I want to Share the way to downgrade your S3 Canadian Version to previous version, I do it with 4.1.1 no network or Wi-Fi problems, and you don’t need any patch for this.

1- From Sammobile download your Rom 4.3 JB version.
    2- From Sammobile download your Rom 4.1.1 JB version.
    3- Download Odin307.zip and extract.
    4- Only Windows users, download this program and install it Cygwin.
    5- To extract Tar file you need 7zip or Winrar, then extract from 4.3 JB the following file: NON-HLOS.bin. I know you’re asking why NON-HLOS.bin, because this is the modem and network file and the 4.3 bootloader installed in you’re phone don’t work with the older, we need the newer from 4.3 for the phone works correctly.

6- Extract from 4.1.1 JB all the files except aboot.mbn and NON-HLOS.bin.
    7- Go to C:/cygwin/home/'win_user_name' just cut & paste all the extracted file there without making any folder.

8- Open Cygwin Terminal cut & paste the following codes:

First Code:
    tar -H ustar -c boot.img cache.img.ext4 NON-HLOS.bin recovery.img rpm.mbn sbl2.mbn sbl3.mbn system.img.ext4 tz.mbn > S3ModedRom.tar

When Finish

Second Code:
    md5sum -t S3ModedRom.tar >> S3ModedRom.tar

Then

Third Code:
    mv S3ModedRom.tar S3ModedRom.tar.md5

9- Run Odin, go to PDA bottom and Find new Rom called S3ModedRom.tar.md5.
    10-Restart you’re Phone and after it vibrate press Volume Down + Menu Button will show Download Mode press volume up and connect your device through usb cable to PC.
    11- On Odin Hit start, when it’s complete and say PASS you’re done!!

If this helps please hit Thanks :good:
    It has been suggested that downgrading stock 4.3 ROM to stock 4.1.1 may be possible as long as there is no attempt to downgrade the 4.3 bootloader otherwise, this would result in a brick. The good news is that I was able to successfully downgrade from 4.3 to 4.1.1 on my i747 (AT&T) without ending in a brick by flashing with Mobile Odin. Although it initially appeared to get stuck in reboot, booting into recovery and doing a reset worked and the phone is now running fine on 4.1.1. The bad news, however, is that going this route for the purpose of free unlock may not work as the hidden menu appears unsupported. After typing in *#197328640# in the dial pad, ServiceMode popped up but the usual menu items didn't show and the screen was otherwise blank. All other normal functions of the phone appear to be OK.

Has anyone else tried this or could there be something I didn't do right?

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

I have unlocked three phones (all of them were i747m ) using the free method but none of them had been upgraded to 4.3 so we'll have to wait for someone to try using the free unlock method on a phone that is running a 4.1.1 ROM with a 4.3 bootloader.

Looks like that was what I answered in my last post. The downgrading from 4.3 ROM to 4.1.1. ROM without altering the 4.3 bootloader is possible. I just did it by flashing with Mobile Odin and my i747 AT&T is still running fine on 4.1.1. The free unlock didn't work, however, as the hidden menu appears unsupported. When I entered the code to the hidden menu, all I had was a blank screen.
    NV files and IMEI Restore

To let you know, besides having the problem for upgrade from 4.1.1 to the version 4.3 and then downgrade to the previous version apparently I deleted with the CWM-Recovery the EFS folder and NV files, but I had read a post about it and it worked, of course this is for the one who wipes these files, but since I had made a backup of the EFS folder, so what I needed was to rewrite the NV files, but I did not have a backup of my NV Files and now WHAT, but thanks to God my wife has the same phone and I copy their NV Files and everything worked fine following the steps here: (FIX)(SOLVED) Deleted or Injected IMEI and No signal or stock on Edge :good::D:highfive:
    ??

Does this work for i747 att? I mean doing this file change with the 4.3 att to 4.1.1 att..
    Yes, trying to downgrade to 4.1.1, assuming you get past the Odin bootloader check, could hard brick the phone.