★ Note 2 Development Thread ★ *Kernel/Rom/Mod/Recovery/N2 Chat* - reopened

Search This thread

dooku77

Jan 17, 2011
Although I was excited to see the launch date for note 3 with 32 and 64gb flavors, that faux leather battery cover kills it for me. Note 2 seems to be a keeper for as long ad people keep making roms for it

Obsidian...

Feb 29, 2012
Bloomfield Hills
I agree. I don't have a good feeling about that Qualcomm love the 3 is getting. Hopefully when we get 4.3 and KK they don't do any crazy voodoo crap with the exynos securities.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dooku77

drew_p

Feb 26, 2013
Kitkat will be the next version of Android after JellyBean. As you may or may not know new versions of Android are named by dessert/sweets and in alphabetical order. The order goes as follows:

A was Astro
B was Bender

(The first two were never released to the public)

C was Cupcake
D was Donut
E was Eclair
F was Froyo
G was Gingerbread
H was Honeycomb
I was Ice Cream Sandwhich
J was Jellybean
And finally K will be Kitkat

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Awesome answer!!!!! I like how you broke it down.......ALL the way down lol appreciate it. Well I have to say I agree with some others on here, kitkat does sound better than key lime pie. Will just take some getting used to lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Obsidian...

Feb 29, 2012
Bloomfield Hills
Awesome answer!!!!! I like how you broke it down.......ALL the way down lol appreciate it. Well I have to say I agree with some others on here, kitkat does sound better than key lime pie. Will just take some getting used to lol

And it's 4.5 not 5.0 like everyone thought. I wonder what 5.0 "L" will be? Any thoughts

drew_p

Feb 26, 2013
Next question........

What are the differences between the Note 2 on Verizon (my current) and the Note 2 on T-Mobile. Easily rooted? Boot loader? Any missing features like the Verizon variant??

Also anyone who is currently with T-Mobile, how is the coverage and data speeds for you? Yes I know the last one is subject to location but I'm just looking for a blanket outlook. Thanks in advance.......

nicwall01

Feb 22, 2011
Crazy question that I hope is off topic enough to meet the standards of this thread. So, is there a way to flash multiple roms and access the different roms on startup? Like having Linux and Windows on the same machine and choosing one or another on startup?

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Crazy question that I hope is off topic enough to meet the standards of this thread. So, is there a way to flash multiple roms and access the different roms on startup? Like having Linux and Windows on the same machine and choosing one or another on startup?

You can dual boot with devil kernel and recovery. Here's the link for that: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2299261

Or, this is the method I prefer, if you have an external sd card you can technically save nandroids (full OS backups) and switch to them from recovery. It's a lengthier process, but you can speed it up by automating the steps using the ROM toggler by eboody: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2376860

freddy0872

Dec 26, 2010
Lowellville
Here is some helpful stuff for you guys. Yes this is random and thats how it is here! :) Once the format and material is gathered Obsidians OP will be gloated with links, info, news, whatever! Have a look at the Bionic thread for more details!

Any who! Found this toolkit by @mskip for our Galaxy Note 2 devices! Here is the original thread! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2052788
I do recommend all users to familiarize themselves with ADB and fastboot. Because a toolkit wont always work and sometimes wont be able to save your a$$ all the time! This is solely for those who want to save some key strokes and get things done faster. However please know what your doing before pressing buttons! Then again if your a total NOOB and just want the easy way out then have at it! LMAO!

I found it useful as it downloads images for you with no effort. Check it out and be sure to thank mskip for his hard work! :good:

Last edited:

BoostedB18C

Sep 19, 2012
San Jose
Any who! Found this toolkit by @mskip for our Galaxy Note 2 devices! Here is the original thread! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2052788
I do recommend all users to familiarize themselves with ADB and fastboot. Because a toolkit wont always work and sometimes wont be able to save your a$$ all the time! This is solely for those who want to save some key strokes and get things done faster. However please know what your doing before pressing buttons! Then again if your a total NOOB and just want the easy way out then have at it! LMAO!

I found it useful as it downloads images for you with no effort. Check it out and be sure to thank mskip for his hard work! :good:

I have to say that I do not encourage anyone to use that toolkit. It has been quoted several times that it includes a prerelease version of software that makes it impossible to do anything with. Once installed you cannot odin to another version. You cannot use vzw otas to upgrade version. Casual will fail to unlock device. You are stuck on that software version.

If you are going to use that toolkit, you have been warned.

Sent From My Sticky Note, Too?

Reactions: freddy0872

freddy0872

Dec 26, 2010
Lowellville
I have to say that I do not encourage anyone to use that toolkit. It has been quoted several times that it includes a prerelease version of software that makes it impossible to do anything with. Once installed you cannot odin to another version. You cannot use vzw otas to upgrade version. Casual will fail to unlock device. You are stuck on that software version.

If you are going to use that toolkit, you have been warned.

I do agree that it is a little behind the times. As with anything on this site that you can use to modify your device the statement "You have been warned" always applies! lol

Some of the features like logcat functions and some miscellaneous settings work just fine.

As always know what can happen if something were to go wrong.

Reactions: BoostedB18C

BoostedB18C

Sep 19, 2012
San Jose
I do agree that it is a little behind the times. As with anything on this site that you can use to modify your device the statement "You have been warned" always applies! lol

Some of the features like logcat functions and some miscellaneous settings work just fine.

As always know what can happen if something were to go wrong.

I don't remember what the software version is. I also don't remember what you have to do to cause it to install. I know, I'm being a lot of help :D I'm going to try to find it and I'll give an update.

cmo220

Aug 26, 2010
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Fantastic!
Sorry i should have been more specific on my first post. I usually tend to use things like this for simplifying a push or pull, or say a logcat. Anything that will make my busy life easier im all about it! :p

***Off Topic***

Has anyone tried Moon Rom? I am sure most of us are Beans' fans as i am as well. Ive ran a total of 2 ROMs on my Note2. I just cant get away from JellyBeans! I feel running AOSP would be disastrous! Im currently downloading Moon ROM to give it a shot and see whats up. I noticed they have a ton of Add-Ons for it as well. The download is going to take a while as its throttled very low!

I used it for a day. It was pretty good. People who like things like AOKP that have tons of somewhat useless options will love it. It had an option where you can see the data speed in the status bar which I loved. I asked Beans if he could add it and he said he loved it too and would look into it. Other than that nothing I use that I can't get on Beans' ROM, but I think there were things on Beans' ROM I like that it didn't have.

Last edited:

freddy0872

Dec 26, 2010
Lowellville
I used it for a day. It was pretty good. People who like things like AOKP that have tons of somewhat useless options will love it. It had an option where you can see the data speed in the status bar which I loved. I asked beans if he could add it and he said he loved it too and would look into it. Other than that nothing I use that I can't get on beans, but I think there were things on beans I like that it didn't have.

Thanks! Yea i did hear he was implementing the network speed into the status bar in B22. Just waiting to see what he has cooking for the next build! Very anxiously of course! LOL. I think i just need to flash something and ill be okay for a whlie! :victory:

Reactions: npainter7

cmo220

Aug 26, 2010
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks! Yea i did hear he was implementing the network speed into the status bar in B22. Just waiting to see what he has cooking for the next build! Very anxiously of course! LOL. I think i just need to flash something and ill be okay for a whlie! :victory:

I look around occasionally at the other ROMs too but usually don't bother flashing anything. I used to be the everyday crackflasher type but it's nice to stay on the same setup for a few weeks now. I also have no interest in trying AOSP on this phone, and that's even with me never using multi window or any of the motion or page buddy touchwiz features.

I do miss real AOSP on my phone though, but this is quite close. I might end up holding on to this phone for another year and switching carriers to get the nexus phone that comes out next year.

freddy0872

Dec 26, 2010
Lowellville
I look around occasionally at the other ROMs too but usually don't bother flashing anything. I used to be the everyday crackflasher type but it's nice to stay on the same setup for a few weeks now. I also have no interest in trying AOSP on this phone, and that's even with me never using multi window or any of the motion or page buddy touchwiz features.

I do miss real AOSP on my phone though, but this is quite close. I might end up holding on to this phone for another year and switching carriers to get the nexus phone that comes out next year.

To be honest i enjoy having something so stable and rock solid like Jelly Beans. Sometimes i think i just like change. So i try icon packs. Some themes. Coming from a Bionic im not used to a ROM running for days on end and not causing any issues! Sure once and a whlie it seems like my phone is out to get me but it clears its self up! LOL

drew_p

Feb 26, 2013
Fantastic!
Sorry i should have been more specific on my first post. I usually tend to use things like this for simplifying a push or pull, or say a logcat. Anything that will make my busy life easier im all about it! :p

***Off Topic***

Has anyone tried Moon Rom? I am sure most of us are Beans' fans as i am as well. Ive ran a total of 2 ROMs on my Note2. I just cant get away from JellyBeans! I feel running AOSP would be disastrous! Im currently downloading Moon ROM to give it a shot and see whats up. I noticed they have a ton of Add-Ons for it as well. The download is going to take a while as its throttled very low!

I've tried it and trans nebula. They both are well made and have tons of options. The floating windows are a nice touch but I honestly couldn't get over the overall size of everything. I have pretty good vision and at times it was a little hard to read. But that's just my 2 cents. Again, they are both very well made roms. I just seem to not be able to get away from beans. It's like an ex girlfriend that you just can't seem to leave alone.......but this time in a good way lol

T4rd

Jun 15, 2010
Is there a way to get Mass Storage Mode working on the Note 2? I tried using USB Mass Storage Enabler, but my PC recognizes it as an optical/CD drive and doesn't let me write to it, which seems to be an issue on the Verizon Note 2, but I'm running Beans v21 ROM at the moment.. Copying many files over using MTP is painfully slow for me.

Thanks!

bladerealm124

Mar 24, 2011
I'm not sure if this is a beans ROM issue because there was one member that posted who was able to get this to work on another ROM (specifically by using the lte on/off app which force closes on beans). Here is the issue:

I'm looking for a way to "lock 4g" by most likely toggling off 2g/3g temporarily. I know I would not be able to use voice or text while off but this feature would be incredibly helpful. The problem is that I'm in a low 4g area frequently which works fine for a few minutes with great speeds but my phone frequently decides to switch back to 3g. It will sometimes switch back to 4g again on its own but occasionally the only way to get it back is to toggle airplane mode on/off. It appears that sometimes it "prefers" the slightly stronger 3g signal but the speeds are so slow with 3g that I get frustrated trying to load a web page. Another member confirmed this "3g preference" as well.

I used to be able to easily accomplish this on my Thunderbolt with the 4g lte on/off app but it appears it is not compatible with beans and force closes when attempting to open, other users confirmed this as well. However, one user on a different ROM tested this app and it worked perfectly for him, leading me to believe that it is a beans compatibility issue.

If anyone has any other solutions or a way to make the 4g lte on/off app work properly it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nothing is off topic here!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

If nothing is off topic, then here is the best iphone commercial ever.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpH4hrV38J0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

First off, gotta give props to Obsidian for this thread. Always nice to have a classy thread on XDA created by a class act gentleman..

Obsidian wanted me to share this link here so decided to stop by and create my 1st post here..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmvrydlpzdc6rgf/Beans21_NoToggle_Header.zip

For anyone that is trying to make beans look completely like an AOSP rom, i made a mod that gets rid of the time/date in the pulldown bar and you can have whatever widget, app, quick setting/toggle app from the playstore you want to be up there, as long as you make it a persistant notification. Im using mappz from the play store, where it looks like this when you pull it down and has quick toggles when you swipe down on the right side of the status bar. See this link for a screenshot.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45769137&postcount=20856
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45715742&postcount=102
    I have a feeling we're going to need Hash for the Note 3. Also had I not went back to a Note 2 I would have got the S4 since you guys got Hash on board. Now those S4 guys need to get DHacker a phone to get AOSP going through SS. Another person who will probably develop for S4 SS is nitroglycerine since he is very familiar with Moto SS using his Eclipse ROMs. Sorry for OT but it was a good thing you and others did for the S4 guys. In a sense glad they get to taste what us Moto lovers have been dealing with for a while now. I think most moto haters/Sammy lovers thought it would never come to locked BL's on their devices.

So true. Tons of hate from the Sammy community in the past. But I still understand their pain. That's why I got Hash involved.

So I have this iphone...

J/k great idea to start a "random" noob friendly thread. Hopefully it says civil :D

Lol... Yeah it worked in the past and there's no one to ***** about what gets discussed but me. Which won't happen unless some db troll comes here

Thread Stuck...

EFM

Have a great day!
    Re-opened...I recommend users read the second post for conduct expectations from here on out.

Let's be nice and contribute respectfully, shall we?