[Q] LTE on Ting

Search This thread

ocarinaz64

Jul 1, 2013
Crete, IL
Hey @fizbanrapper, I know how to get internet (3G and LTE) and SMS on this device via your APN edits. However, I do not have the ability to receive MMS pictures on Ting. I have put up with it forever, and I just hate it. Are there any settings that I could / should fool with so that it will work? I don't know where else to turn. Ting support gripes about using AOSP...

What I mean is, all I ever get is a message that says I need to download it. When I click download, it does nothing, and I never get the picture. It makes for awkward social situations...

Last edited:

fizbanrapper

Jan 19, 2014
Hey @fizbanrapper, I know how to get internet (3G and LTE) and SMS on this device via your APN edits. However, I do not have the ability to receive MMS pictures on Ting. I have put up with it forever, and I just hate it. Are there any settings that I could / should fool with so that it will work? I don't know where else to turn. Ting support gripes about using AOSP...

What I mean is, all I ever get is a message that says I need to download it. When I click download, it does nothing, and I never get the picture. It makes for awkward social situations...
Try plspictures instead of sprintpcs in the apn url. That should fix it. Let me know if it doesn't.

ocarinaz64

Jul 1, 2013
Crete, IL
Try plspictures instead of sprintpcs in the apn url. That should fix it. Let me know if it doesn't.
No. I was already doing that before. It was part of your instructions a long time ago. According to Ting, it shouldn't matter whether you use plspictures.com or sprintpcs.com. Even so, I have tried everything I can think of. Toggle airplane mode, reset, clean flashes, reset apns, try IPV4 / IPV6, 3G only, LTE only... Nothing sticks.

For extra info, I reset to stock and verified that it works. So I know it's not a carrier problem. It sounds like it's an AOSP and/or AOSP+carrier problem. But I swear I've got all the APN settings right. I tried to view my APN settings on stock, but I can't see how to get to that screen.

Last edited:

ocarinaz64

Jul 1, 2013
Crete, IL
No. I was already doing that before. It was part of your instructions a long time ago. According to Ting, it shouldn't matter whether you use plspictures.com or sprintpcs.com. Even so, I have tried everything I can think of. Toggle airplane mode, reset, clean flashes, reset apns, try IPV4 / IPV6, 3G only, LTE only... Nothing sticks.

For extra info, I reset to stock and verified that it works. So I know it's not a carrier problem. It sounds like it's an AOSP and/or AOSP+carrier problem. But I swear I've got all the APN settings right. I tried to view my APN settings on stock, but I can't see how to get to that screen.

Is there a way for me to find the APN.conf file from Sense 4.3 and then place it directly into AOSP 5.1? Like, where would it be located in each?

UPDATE - I answered my own question... I didn't actually "fix" my MMS, but I did find an app that will let me use WiFi to download my MMS messages in the future. So it's a doable workaround. It's called 8SMS, but there are probably others out there.

Last edited:

fizbanrapper

Jan 19, 2014
Is there a way for me to find the APN.conf file from Sense 4.3 and then place it directly into AOSP 5.1? Like, where would it be located in each?

UPDATE - I answered my own question... I didn't actually "fix" my MMS, but I did find an app that will let me use WiFi to download my MMS messages in the future. So it's a doable workaround. It's called 8SMS, but there are probably others out there.
If I still had my jewel activated, I could do more to fix the actual problem, but it's a WiFi device at this point. Glad you found a workaround, but sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To get LTE working on Ting AOSP 4.4+ HTC EVO 4G LTE

If the above does not fit your situation 100%, read no further or your device will get more bugs than Miley Cyrus's....

Even if the above fits you 100%, try this at your own risk. I'm by no means an advanced user and certainly wouldn't call myself a developer.

A. The APN menu

Download & install the Google Gesture Search app from the Play Store. Open it, say yes to the defaults and wait the 20 seconds it takes to index your system. Once all of that is done, use your finger to draw "A", "P", "N" on the screen. This will bring up a list of search results. Choose APNs settings. If there is a list of APN's already there, one of them says something about LTE internet. You can modify the existing values to match those shown below. Otherwise, in the APNs screen, hit the plus to add a new APN. Give it the following values:
    Name: LTE
    APN: n.t8.ispsn
    Proxy: Not set
    Port: Not set
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Not set
    MMSC: http://mms.plspictures.com
    MMS proxy: 68.28.31.7
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 120
    Authentication type: Not set
    APN type: default, mms
    APN protocol: IPv4
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4
    Bearer: Unspecified
    MVNO type: None

Save the APN. Touch the radio button to the right of the APN to select it. Hit the home button. Cycle airplane mode. You should be able to connect now. I think this alone will get your LTE working, but...

B. If you're not connecting yet:
    You might want to play around with some of these settings. The APN protocols can probably just as easily be IPv4v6 instead, but it defaulted to v4, so that's where I left it and I'm not messing with it now. Also when I first connected, I had the MMSC set to http://mms.sprintpcs.com and changed it to plspictures later. I doubt that was important, but like I said already, I'm in over my head here. It's entirely possible that when LTE goes to connect for the first time, that it gets pissed if it doesn't see sprintpcs in that URL. I don't know...

If there were APNs already listed when you performed step A, but LTE doesn't work yet, modify all instances of n.ispsn to ad the t8 in n.t8.ispsn. Also if you show pamsn, modify it to show t8.pamsn. These are all correct values for Ting.

There shouldn't be a need to do this, but you could also try setting your MCC to "310" and your MNC to "00". I haven't personally tried that MCC or MNC, but I've seen those values for Ting elsewhere. If you're still having trouble change the MCC and MNC back , then proceed to step C.

C. If you're still not connected:

Attached is the Ting APN zip file you can flash to help restore Ting LTE. Note that if you perform this step, you will most likely have to go back and redo step A before LTE will work, though you might not if you're adventurous and want to take a risk and flash the zip after first boot. Either way, make a nandroid backup before flashing this.

It should be flashed after the ROM & kernel, but prior to first boot (though it could still work even when flashed after first boot). This overwrites the existing apn-conf.xml file.

D. Last resort:

Ok, if you haven't made a nandroid yet, you really really need to do so now. This works with some ROMs, but causes others to bootloop (even if you follow all of the instructions exactly) and essentially does the same thing as step A but is a bit more forceful about it.

This should only be flashed after first boot. Additionally you want to go through steps C and A before this step will work. This flash overwrites the data file you populated from step A.

Going through step A is still necessary because some additional files get changed when you access the APN settings menu and when you save a new APN. Most ROMs use those additional files to call BS and either bootloop or throw enough system errors to force you to restore the nandroid that you wisely made as was suggested several times before.

Those additional files work differently from ROM to ROM, so I can't make a zip file that works nicely with all ROMs. Or at least I haven't figured it out yet, anyway.
    I have an idea...stop using AOSP.

But seriously, you could try installing the firmware again. See how that might help.

============================================================
    current setup
    htc evolte
    hboot:1.19 s-off
    twrp 2.5.0.0
    anthraxed digital bath
    Ting APN

Not sure if you still need this, but you have to update the APN info for LTE to work.

In AOSP rom, go to voice dialer and say "Open APNs". Next, open the LTE internet APN. Update the APN value to n.t8.ispsn. Press menu > commit modifications. Do the same thing for EHRPD internet APN. This should activate LTE for you.
    No, unfortunately. I ended up switching to the Nexus 5 on TM shortly after. I'd highly recommend it, especially if you use a lot or end up on L or XL on Ting.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app