NexTheme for DroidX

Search This thread

hacku

Aug 7, 2010
Arizona
This is a copy/paste from here.

This is a port of Manup456's NexTheme for the Motorola Droid X. It is meant to be run on the .604 update to Android 2.1.

This installation will require some work, though it is not too difficult. You just need to follow the instructions.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that may go wrong in this process - Though with the SBF file now, it is almost impossible to brick a Droid X.

That being said, I didn't even need to restore while I was porting and testing this, so there should be minimal chance of any major mess-ups.

Instructions:

1. Download 'MetaMorph' from the market. Run it once and grant it root permissions.

2. Download the following file:

NexTheme.zip

3. Extract the file. Put the MM.zip file in sdcard/AndroidThemes and the other two in /sdcard/nextheme

4. We will first need to push framework-res.apk and services.jar to the system. Do not use root explorer to copy the files! Open up your terminal emulator or adb (preferably) and type:

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/nextheme/framework-res.apk /system/framework/
reboot
after this reboot, you should notice a different status bar, but the clock and time will still be black.

open up terminal emulator (or adb) again and this time we'll push services.jar

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/nextheme/services.jar /system/framework/
reboot

The following reboot will take between 3-5 minutes!

Now the clock and time, etc. will be white.

5. Now, fire up MetaMorph and choose unzip/extract new theme, select nextheme, and let it do it's thing extracting. Once it's done extracting, you can apply all the themes (for the apps), or apply only the ones you want.

6. Enjoy your new theme

Screenshots:

nexthemehome.png
neXtheme.png

nexthemesettings.png
nexthemebrowser.png

xDanVitox

Jan 13, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
do you have to use the status bar and services.jar provided or can you use any? i really like teenfaces ver. 9 but also would love this theme with it

hacku

Aug 7, 2010
Arizona
do you have to use the status bar and services.jar provided or can you use any? i really like teenfaces ver. 9 but also would love this theme with it

From what I understand the only change to the services.jar is so that the text shows up white. Other than that everything else is changed in the framework-res.apk (aside from the settings icons and such).

Irishpride

Dec 15, 2009
Emerald City

I was wanting to do the same thing, but don't want to deal with going into a bootloop in the chance it does cause that. Does anyone know if this would be OK?

How did you get the Android in your pull down menu?

The Android in the pull down is great! Can someone post some instructions for us to put that on as well?

quadjacks

Mar 10, 2008
UpState NY
Get this error when I atttempt to launch the latest paid verision of MetaMorph...
Anyone ever seen this? Is so, what's the fix, I've searched all over the place!

6f438354.jpg

BB2DX

Jul 24, 2010
Coolest so far

This is the coolest thing a noob like me has learned for my X. Please keep these coming. And if there are any other mods that I need to learn, please PM me or share openly. I am so happy I switched from Blackberry to Android now that I have learned some of the tricks.

evilkal

Jul 14, 2010
Will this theme work in 2.2? Because I want it lol. I'm too lazy to go and single handedly edit all of the images xD

byproxy

Apr 29, 2010
No it wont. Framework is different in Froyo - some have tried and bricked their phones.

well i really wish i hadn't tried this at the same time you posted the warning. hehehe.

i certainly hope i'm not bricked. downloading the files to sbf now. will post results.

1st post should REALLY be updated with that warning.