Battery problem, try this.

Search This thread

kooks05

Feb 7, 2010
Sacramento
Trying this now! Will report back.

I also have the 100% to 90% issue in a matter of a couple minutes off the charger.

Edit: Can confirm this works. Battery hasn't dropped from 100 yet and its been 5 minutes.

Nice Find Thanks!

Last edited:

mongoose8p

Jun 3, 2010
Chicago
can you post this over at the other android forums so ppl know?

VERY TRUE everything he says !!! Li-Po batteries in RC/CARS, Planes, ETC. need to be balanced and most lipo chargers for such batteries have a balancer in them! So, what I'm saying is this makes total sense, someone should build an app that would be awesome or somehow integrated into firmware.

Krynj

Jun 6, 2010
I noticed something like this the other night. I had been doing things around my house and needed to charge my Evo before I went out. After charging it in the AC outlet, then to USB, then back to AC, I noticed my battery lasting much longer before dropping the 10% it usually drops within minutes. Sometimes it drops from 100 to 99 within seconds of being off the charger, but last night, it stayed at 100% for at least an hour.

This definitely works.

darvondoom

Oct 8, 2009
Anyone know if we have to do this each time we charge the phone, or what?
-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

amallama

Mar 22, 2010
Yea I've noticed also that as soon as my "fully charged" phone was taken off the charger, the battery would go to 98% I found that very odd. Its now been at 100% for about 30 min, so I hope it works! Thanks a bunch

driguez

Oct 8, 2007
O-Town
Anyone know if we have to do this each time we charge the phone, or what?

Doubt it, I think it could b done as needed, once a month or so.? If over done I feel it could do more bad than good. Don't quote me on that though, could b wrong.

Aug 8, 2009
Over the weekend, I spent several hours tinkering with root, custom roms etc. I was plugging in, and unplugging quite a bit while I already had the phone charged at 100%. Without knowing it, I had actually done these steps. At about 24 hours off the charger, I finally plugged it in at 38%. Awake time was about 7 hours. It dropped quite a bit at the end because I watched a handful of youtube videos. Either way, based on this, I think I can potentially confirm that it works.

However, this morning, it dropped 10% in the first hour. So I'm trying it again to see how it goes. I'll update with my results..

leeh41

Aug 29, 2006
Worked for me! Great post.

My battery used to drop from 100-90 almost instantly after I pulled it from the charger. It now hangs around 98 for quite some time. Still doing this, since I didnt get a full 10 plug/unplugs in the first time.

Proof of not, I feel like I'm just "topping off" the battery... whatever it is, I'm pleased. this method + damage control rom has been working great. Poor battery issues are gone.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2009
Question - does this procedure require exactly 10 cycles of steps 1-3? Or are we repeating the cycle until some kind of indicator such as the light starting out green (instead of orange) when plugging it back in?

Last edited:

icantdrawanime

Jun 14, 2010
I did this last night after flashing the "buglessbeast" rom onto my phone. The combination of the two seems to making a huge difference.

My phone stayed at 100% for ~50 minutes on standby after taking it off the charger.

I watched a few youtube videos on 3g and fiddled with it for around an hour, the battery is currently at 80% 5 hours off the charger

Not sure if this method is the exact reason why my battery improved so much, but thats my experience.

Before I did these things, my battery would drop around 4% per hour on standby...

roybotnik

Jun 10, 2010
Mode edit: removed spam. keep on topic, thx

Android users are unbelievable...

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Preparing...
    With the phone in the on position.

Fully charge the battery with the phone on... (until the led turns green.)

Once the led turns green, unplug the charger until the led goes off.

After the led goes off, plug the charger back in. When the led turns green , power off the phone.

now.... with the phone fully powered off...

1. Unplug the charger.

2. Wait until led goes off.

3. Plug charger back in until the led turns green. When it turns green, unplug the charger again and go to step 1.

4. repeat steps 1 and 3, 10 times. This may take anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 mins per cycle. Typically only about 1 minute. though.

DO NOT DRAIN THE BATTERY. The goal is not to empty the battery and recharge like ni-cads (those have memory, these don't). These are lithiums, so we need to do the opposite...
    OK, let me add some facts to this thread. LiIon batteries are charged with a constant current (e.g. 1 A) till they reach the maximal voltage, typically 4.2 V per cell. Once this point is reached, the charger switches from constant current to constant voltage mode, meaning it decreases the current, maintaining the voltage. Typically, if the current drops below 1/10 or 1/100 of the initial current (eg. 10 mA), charging is stopped. So, if you disconnect the charger, the voltage will drop slightly and next time you connect it, the charger will start its cycle. There is no magic, this is physics and chemistry. A lot of discussion here focuses on subjective observations and placebo effects. Until you take the battery out and measure its capacity with dedicated equipment, arguments are more for entertainment purpose...

you're arguing solid science to people who want to squeeze more life out of their batteries and are willing to try anything and everything to do so! good luck ;-)

thanks for the sanity check, nethopper. :D
    Charge the phone normally until green, remove charger, turn it off and charge to green again, unplug and charge again, about 6 times then turn on to see voltage. If necessary, do it again.

Then make sure it says 100%, boot to recovery, and wipe battery stats.

Sent from my HTC EVO via Tapatalk
    Hi i have a new htc desire (leedroid rom), the battery doesnt last very long at all, i have just purchased a new battery, but i want to get the charging cycle correct before i start using it, i saw the post above, where the author knows the exact voltage of his battery, please can i ask, where did this app/widget come from please, i would like it.

tim

Download BatteryTime by Molaten - I believe that's what shows me my battery information on my EVO (temp/voltage). Have the option to show the battery life percentage in your notification bar - when you drag the bar down it'll show you the voltage and temperature of the battery.