Read All About it: WP7 SD-card format working.

Search This thread

safeburn

Jul 19, 2005
i go stuck with every installation and trys, and to format i used a mac :) to break partitions and reformat to FAT

Reactions: Neolo

stef2000

Oct 5, 2009
Format sd after win mo 7 - easy!

Easy and working way to "get back" your sd (if you have backup...):
Install the sd card into a camera (I have Canon sx1) and do a "Low level Format" - you will got your original sd again.

jaethos

Jan 10, 2011
Springdale, UT
Most cards aren't seen at all, not even being recognized as a card. In these cases that tool won't do anything, as it relies on Windows being able to see the card.

Micho

Dec 21, 2007
GOOD NEWS TO EVERYONE!!

I had the same problem like you. I just came back from my friends.

We put my microsd card into Nokia E52. Device asked us for the password, we clicked "Cancel" then we went to NORMAL file menager and we formatted my card.

Im so happy!

Good luck

pkayrat

Sep 7, 2009
Shymkent
HDDGURU.com it helps "Hard disk low level format"

Yeap, dude thanks a lot. It helped without any problem. I got my 16GB Flash back

ppsravan

Oct 1, 2010

Yeap, dude thanks a lot. It helped without any problem. I got my 16GB Flash back
well, I formatted my SD card using my HD2. After loading the WP7 on my HD2, I've gone back to WM6.5 and used the built-in Format SD Card app on WM6.5 and it worked like a charm :)

pauloviegas

Dec 7, 2006

I confirm, best tool for those who do not have MAC. I just wonder if we can have android installed after the WP7 ... I was reading and can't find it :) maybe is so evident that it just miss it in front of my eyes,lol

AzmanIshak

Dec 9, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
no, it simply gives me the name of my sandisk micromate that carries the card. I have tried other usb card readers too though, same result

Hi there, I already try to takeout my sdcard HTC HD7 (16GB) and read it using memory card reader. computer found that the sdcard was separated into two partition or can say it bricked?

the 1st partition its about 120MB - read and write (FAT16 if i not mistake)
and the second partition around - 14GB - unknown partition and unable to format and etc.

so I've no idea what to do next. FYI, the second partition is only visible when u're using disk management tools.

krishan2207

Oct 28, 2006
Delhi
All of u who r hvng trouble to format their cards plz use PANASONIC SD FORMAT TOOL (Google it.). I hv format my WP7 card to get the 16Gb instead of 200mb after flashing WP7 on my HD2.

tuskooo

Mar 23, 2009
If Windows can't see it this program can't see it either. To be sure, I tried.

Last edited:

gcianc

Feb 14, 2010
Easy and working way to "get back" your sd (if you have backup...):
Install the sd card into a camera (I have Canon sx1) and do a "Low level Format" - you will got your original sd again.

worth a try but... "card not recognized" is what i get" using a newer canon elph. Format option is dimmed.

fabio__sousa

Apr 15, 2010
well, i formatted my sd card using my hd2. After loading the wp7 on my hd2, i've gone back to wm6.5 and used the built-in format sd card app on wm6.5 and it worked like a charm :)

;) this is all you need.... An hd2 back to wm6.5

don't look outside!!! Look inside!!!!

We do not have a cellphone we have a master piece!!! :d:d:d

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
There appears to be two types of locked SD cards from WP7: one from phones like HD7's internal microSD card which will show two paritions and otherwise normal card; the other is from Samsung Focus's microSD card slot where the special SD security is enabled and the card won't even showup in any PC card reader.

Low level format and other specialty tools on PC or Mac work for 1st type of cards but won't work for cards locked down by Samsung Focus. That requires a driver level support for SD card security which does not exist in any of the card reader today. The only confirmed solution for 2nd type of cards is to use Nokia/Symbian phones to format it

Reactions: mgarvo and tuskooo

zoebo1

Jan 23, 2011
Hey guys im new to the site. I just flashed my phone to wm7 and i was getting the same problem. But i think i found a quick and easy solution that will format your sd for people like me who don't know the ins and outs about programming.

Well lets just say i was starting off with the whole 200 mb problem, so i tried everything to see if the new oson my phone can recognize my memory card. Then all of a sudden it hit me. Of course it won't recognize the card because the hd7 doesn't use one. I then started to think if maybe i format the phone with my micro sd card in it then that would work.

Well long story short it did. Now im reading over 14 gb with the memory card that came with my hd2. Idk if this helped anyone its just my $0.02

Reactions: blushrts and retlem

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pretty sure this is the one I used to recover a "dead" flash drive previously.

http://hddguru.com/software/2006.04.12-HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

I don't know if it'll work but I would think that it should.

this tool does not work to reformat wp7-used cards :(
    Hey guys im new to the site. I just flashed my phone to wm7 and i was getting the same problem. But i think i found a quick and easy solution that will format your sd for people like me who don't know the ins and outs about programming.

Well lets just say i was starting off with the whole 200 mb problem, so i tried everything to see if the new oson my phone can recognize my memory card. Then all of a sudden it hit me. Of course it won't recognize the card because the hd7 doesn't use one. I then started to think if maybe i format the phone with my micro sd card in it then that would work.

Well long story short it did. Now im reading over 14 gb with the memory card that came with my hd2. Idk if this helped anyone its just my $0.02
    There appears to be two types of locked SD cards from WP7: one from phones like HD7's internal microSD card which will show two paritions and otherwise normal card; the other is from Samsung Focus's microSD card slot where the special SD security is enabled and the card won't even showup in any PC card reader.

Low level format and other specialty tools on PC or Mac work for 1st type of cards but won't work for cards locked down by Samsung Focus. That requires a driver level support for SD card security which does not exist in any of the card reader today. The only confirmed solution for 2nd type of cards is to use Nokia/Symbian phones to format it
    So I was in the same boat you are in. Nothing could read the card except for my Nokia n97 mini. It recognized the card as "locked" and prompted for a password. I bypassed the prompt and went to the file manager. From there it let me format the card and it is back to normal. See, Symbian is good for something after all!

PS: I tried the same process with an E71 and had the same successful results. All recent Symbian phones should work as it appears they can handle the encryption and password. The card is now happily back in my HTC EVO.

This is the best news of the day .
    If WP7 locks the SD card to the hardware according to the SD hardware spec (h**p: w w w sdcard . org/ developers/tech/sdcard/pls/Simplified_Physical_Layer_Spec.pdf ... chapter 4.3.7) i suspect you'd need to issue a Forced Erase command to reset this (see 4.3.7.3 in the spec above).

I _suspect_ that the Windows SD driver does not support that command... so i am not sure that would be possible to do from Windows Vista/7.
    But again: I am speculating here :)