Pratically given up on m8 with windows 8.1. What can I do?

Search This thread

unbroken

Jun 19, 2008
I cant get adb drivers to work with 8.1. I've tried every driver in the book. Followed a few guides , erased drivers , reinstalled , even at one point tried reinstalling windows , different USB port, different cable . now I am no means a novice , but is there something simple I'm missing ? Any help appreciated

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

rbouza1

May 16, 2013
Google Pixel 6
I cant get adb drivers to work with 8.1. I've tried every driver in the book. Followed a few guides , erased drivers , reinstalled , even at one point tried reinstalling windows , different USB port, different cable . now I am no means a novice , but is there something simple I'm missing ? Any help appreciated

perhaps uncheck mtp and select camera and turn off debugging ? boot into recovery while connected ? that installs a driver also. have you installed a "naked driver " ?

mr.dj26

Oct 31, 2010

been in your place it sucks @@

anyways, i dont exactly remember what was the solution but I think it was pdanet.

download it from here http://pdanet.co/a/ it should install the adb

hope it works

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013

Need more info about your problem. what happens when you type adb devices?

Crazypinoy9

Jun 19, 2010
If I'm not mistaken there were a few people that had the same issue and it turned out to be a bug when trying to use a USB 3.0 port on their computers. If you are using a USB 3.0 port for your cable you might wanna try plugging it into a USB 2.0. FYI I could be remembering completely wrong :p

DeathmonkeyGTX

Oct 15, 2007
Little Rock, AR
I did everything but an engineering hboot with USB 2.0 port on an Intel x79 chipset motherboard on Windows 8.1.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
I had this problem too but got around it. I had no problem getting the device detected in Fastboot mode, but ADB was a problem. What I did was download and begin installation of the latest HTC sync manager with the phone already connected. It seems the first thing it does is install updated drivers then asks if you want to continue with the installation. I didn't want to install sync manager, so I cancelled the install. However the drivers remained. After a reboot I checked Device manager and sure enough Android 1.0 device was there with working drivers.
Checked the device was recognised with the ADB command ADB DEVICES, but showed no device connected. I then unplugged the USB cable and plugged in to another USB 2.0 port and voila device gets deteced by ADB.
I also had to use this version of ADB http://www.mediafire.com/download/e5mieo2vxjd71ws/android-tools.zip and it had to be the original HTC USB cable and USB debugging enabled in Developer options.

Now for some reason I have to swap USB ports each time ADB doesn't detect the device and pretty much works each time.

Last edited:

shuaibalali

Mar 31, 2011
Sharjah
I think it's usb3 issue , adb doesn't work on usb3 ports,
there was a subject on how to convert usb3 port into usb2 search the forums

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012
USB 3.0 worked fine for me on 8.1. I used Sooner ADB drivers and manually picked them.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW

Crazypinoy9

Jun 19, 2010
Ya usb3.0 worked for me too on two systems but I do know others had issues so I wanted to point it out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
I have no issues on win 8.1 I use the Google USB drivers that are with the sdk. The first time, I do have to go into device manager and update the driver. When it asks do you want to locate the driver or pick it from a list select pick from a list. There should be an Android entry if you installed the USB driver. Select that and then select adb interface. You'll also have to do the same for fastboot mode the first time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

optiknerv

Aug 30, 2008
Ellesmere Port
www.facebook.com
I couldn't find a working version of ADB for 8.1 however I installed HTC Sync from the virtual CD and that installed all the drivers. Uninstalled sync manager cos I don't use it and the drivers remain and work fine.

dazbutler1

Jun 14, 2010
boosbeck
I have no issues on win 8.1 I use the Google USB drivers that are with the sdk. The first time, I do have to go into device manager and update the driver. When it asks do you want to locate the driver or pick it from a list select pick from a list. There should be an Android entry if you installed the USB driver. Select that and then select adb interface. You'll also have to do the same for fastboot mode the first time.

check your usb 3 controller. Is it intel 3.0 usb controller. if you see intel xtensible controller in device manager this could be the issue, it can break adb on all ports. here is a link to a fix for this usb problem i can confirm it works as i have had this issue myself. Hope this helps

http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

Reactions: exad

Rosch89

Jun 1, 2009
Kellyville Ridge, Sydney
Had the same issue when trying to achieve root. Booted Windows to advanced start up and disabled the driver enforcement and everything just went smooth from there. Drivers installed just fine and everything just worked.

navid0308

Oct 14, 2012
Dhaka

search for all-in-one-toolkit for the M8. it has links to installing drivers, u can use that toolkit to flash RUU, kernel, recovery, unlock bootloader and even run commands.

mr.loverlover

Jun 23, 2014
I used pdanet to install drivers for fastboot, you might wanna try it.

Sent from HTC One m8, or maybe not anymore

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Had the same issue when trying to achieve root. Booted Windows to advanced start up and disabled the driver enforcement and everything just went smooth from there. Drivers installed just fine and everything just worked.

This is likely the issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

check your usb 3 controller. Is it intel 3.0 usb controller. if you see intel xtensible controller in device manager this could be the issue, it can break adb on all ports. here is a link to a fix for this usb problem i can confirm it works as i have had this issue myself. Hope this helps

http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers