[Q] Flashed ROM and Phone Died

Search This thread

Icetray

Aug 28, 2008
Hi Guys,

I did the following

1. Was on 2.6.3.3 -> Nandroid backed up my ViperRom
2. Downgraded to 2.6.3.0 and reboot recovery
3. Flashed MIUI rom and gapps after removing 2 lines in the updater script (as suggested by the developer)

Everything seemed to flash fine and when I clicked "Reboot Device", my phone switched off and nothing happened. No vibration no nothing. Plugging in the charger does nothing.

Strangely enough, while pressing "Power + Volume Down" seems to do nothing to the phone, when I plug in the phone to my PC, it detects an unknown device. I tried "Fastboot devices" to see if I'd get a response but nothing happened.

I also tried the bright light trick but it doesn't work. :(

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

P.S. My signature is outdated. I am using a HTC One M7.

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
Hi Guys,

I did the following

1. Was on 2.6.3.3 -> Nandroid backed up my ViperRom
2. Downgraded to 2.6.3.0 and reboot recovery
3. Flashed MIUI rom and gapps after removing 2 lines in the updater script (as suggested by the developer)

Everything seemed to flash fine and when I clicked "Reboot Device", my phone switched off and nothing happened. No vibration no nothing. Plugging in the charger does nothing.

Strangely enough, while pressing "Power + Volume Down" seems to do nothing to the phone, when I plug in the phone to my PC, it detects an unknown device. I tried "Fastboot devices" to see if I'd get a response but nothing happened.

I also tried the bright light trick but it doesn't work. :(

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

P.S. My signature is outdated. I am using a HTC One M7.

1- If you press and hold power + voldown do the buttons start to blink?
B) Force reboot
Press and hold POWER + VOLDOWN (under a bright light, not kidding!!), after about 5 seconds or so buttons should start blinking, and after 30 seconds or so, the phone will reboot, let go of POWER, but keep holding VOLDOWN to get back to bootloader.
(you may need to try 2 or 3 times to get it right)​

2- what shows in device manager, does it show up as QHSUSB_DLOAD?

Icetray

Aug 28, 2008
1- If you press and hold power + voldown do the buttons start to blink?
B) Force reboot
Press and hold POWER + VOLDOWN (under a bright light, not kidding!!), after about 5 seconds or so buttons should start blinking, and after 30 seconds or so, the phone will reboot, let go of POWER, but keep holding VOLDOWN to get back to bootloader.
(you may need to try 2 or 3 times to get it right)​

2- what shows in device manager, does it show up as QHSUSB_DLOAD?
I tried both but neither seem to do anything. No blinking lights even under bright light. Seems weird but I find it hard to believe that this has anything to do with a bad flash. Even stranger is that my PC knows that something is connected to it while the phone has shows no signs of life. ):

Icetray

Aug 28, 2008
I missed out on your second question but this is what I see in my device manager. And thanks for your help thus far! :)

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
I tried both but neither seem to do anything. No blinking lights even under bright light. Seems weird but I find it hard to believe that this has anything to do with a bad flash. Even stranger is that my PC knows that something is connected to it while the phone has shows no signs of life. ):

Have you tried this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2481211

And maybe you should try a linux system to see what it shows as using 'dmesg' in linux, if it's in qhsusb mode then you could try this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2770684

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

I missed out on your second question but this is what I see in my device manager. And thanks for your help thus far! :)

Don't see anything special there, but try USB 2 port... USB3 is known to have problems.

Icetray

Aug 28, 2008
No serial number :crying: :crying:

looks like you corrupted your mfg partition :(

check the output of "fastboot getvar all"

This is what I get:
>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.44.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: N/A
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: UNKNOWN
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei: I REMOVED THIS
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product:
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: *********
(bootloader) cidnum:
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3664mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: UNKNOWN
getvar:all FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 0.036s

Is this good? While I'd like to fix this myself, I'm more concerned if HTC will find out that I unlocked my bootloader or in anyway know that I voided my warranty. :(

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
This is what I get:
>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.44.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: N/A
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: UNKNOWN
(bootloader) serialno:

(bootloader) imei: I REMOVED THIS
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product:
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: *********
(bootloader) cidnum:

(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3664mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: UNKNOWN
getvar:all FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 0.036s

Is this good? While I'd like to fix this myself, I'm more concerned if HTC will find out that I unlocked my bootloader or in anyway know that I voided my warranty. :(

Unfortunately this is not only bad, it's very bad :(
Looks like you corrupted p6 [mfg] , and that's as bad as it gets

what were you flashing and which recovery did you use?
can you upload the updater-script (found in the ZIP file, under /META-INF/com/google/android/) for the things you flashed... compress and attach, or upload to pastebin.com or anywhere you like.

Though I think it's going to be a futile effort :(

Icetray

Aug 28, 2008
Unfortunately this is not only bad, it's very bad :(
Looks like you corrupted p6 [mfg] , and that's as bad as it gets

what were you flashing and which recovery did you use?
can you upload the updater-script (found in the ZIP file, under /META-INF/com/google/android/) for the things you flashed... compress and attach, or upload to pastebin.com or anywhere you like.

Though I think it's going to be a futile effort :(

Thanks for your help so far. Really appreciate it. :)

Pasted it here: http://pastebin.com/vncjefXP

Now my next question is, can I get away with pretending that this was never my fault and get HTC to repair the phone? =X

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Thanks for your help so far. Really appreciate it. :)

Pasted it here: http://pastebin.com/vncjefXP

Now my next question is, can I get away with pretending that this was never my fault and get HTC to repair the phone? =X

Oh boy, you certainly didn't flash anything good for your M7:
Code:
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p12", "/data");  [B][COLOR="Red"]<- hboot[/COLOR][/B]
format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p9", "0");      [B]<- SBL3 i think[/B]
package_extract_file("boot.img", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p5"); [B]<- HTC-BOARD-INFO, but [I]similar to p4, so [U]maybe[/U] restorable[/I][/B]

you messed up hboot !!!!

I don't know if this will work, but you might as well try: get http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407580580

fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip 1.29.401.12_hboot_1.44.zip

copy/paste your command prompt output (instead of screenshot), stay where you are, no reboots, nothing

digitalism

Oct 21, 2011
You certainly have a bad situation here, close enough to being a hard bricked device without it being truly bricked.
I'll pray for you lol.

:(

Icetray

Aug 28, 2008
You certainly have a bad situation here, close enough to being a hard bricked device without it being truly bricked.
I'll pray for you lol.

:(
Thanks for the help so far guys! Here's the output:
>fastboot oem rebootRUU
(bootloader) Start Verify: -1
OKAY [ 0.062s]
finished. total time: 0.062s

>fastboot flash zip 1.29.401.12_hboot_1.44.zip
< waiting for device >

Can I send this to HTC and pretend I don't know what happened?

Icetray

Aug 28, 2008
Thanks for the help so far guys! Here's the output:
>fastboot oem rebootRUU
(bootloader) Start Verify: -1
OKAY [ 0.062s]
finished. total time: 0.062s

< waiting for device >

Can I send this to HTC and pretend I don't know what happened?
This is an update:
sending 'zip' (501 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.025s]
writing 'zip'...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.028s

*Edit* I only get this if I reboot the "bootloader" and try this but if I follow the steps above, it get stuck at waiting for devices"

Last edited:

digitalism

Oct 21, 2011
This is an update:
sending 'zip' (501 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.025s]
writing 'zip'...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.028s

*Edit* I only get this if I reboot the "bootloader" and try this but if I follow the steps above, it get stuck at waiting for devices"

I believe that you are getting this because you are not S-Off. But then again, I don't know how you will get S-Off when the majority of your partitions look corrupt.

Also, make sure you're in fastboot under the bootloader. It should say Fastboot USB highlighted in red.

Icetray

Aug 28, 2008
I believe that you are getting this because you are not S-Off. But then again, I don't know how you will get S-Off when the majority of your partitions look corrupt.

Also, make sure you're in fastboot under the bootloader. It should say Fastboot USB highlighted in red.
There is nothing on the screen when I do this. My screen is completely blank.

digitalism

Oct 21, 2011
There is nothing on the screen when I do this. My screen is completely blank.

Your HBoot image looks fine, it's showing your version and technical version. You should still be able to access bootloader. Are you positive you are holding down the power button and pressing down volume at the same time?

Sometimes you might have to hold power first, wait about 5 seconds, and then press down on volume button. If it really doesn't work, then HBoot is corrupt and there's not much else you can do as you don't know whether or not it corrupted more than the UI.

Icetray

Aug 28, 2008
Your HBoot image looks fine, it's showing your version and technical version. You should still be able to access bootloader. Are you positive you are holding down the power button and pressing down volume at the same time?

Sometimes you might have to hold power first, wait about 5 seconds, and then press down on volume button. If it really doesn't work, then HBoot is corrupt and there's not much else you can do as you don't know whether or not it corrupted more than the UI.

Pretty sure I'm doing it right but like I said earlier, the phone doesn't show any visible reaction so I'm not really sure if it's actually booting up the bootloader "internally". It could just be "switching on" and not doing anything.

My main concern now is, if I send it in for servcing, will HTC know that I tampered with the device?

digitalism

Oct 21, 2011
Pretty sure I'm doing it right but like I said earlier, the phone doesn't show any visible reaction so I'm not really sure if it's actually booting up the bootloader "internally". It could just be "switching on" and not doing anything.

My main concern now is, if I send it in for servcing, will HTC know that I tampered with the device?

Possibly, but HTC will fight against you just like any other company. Just give them the story that you tried doing an OTA update and the update failed in the middle of it. That usually does the trick.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Please do not advise to commit a crime on this site. Advising to send to back to HTC after what happened is fraud and not to be talked about here.

Please be careful on what you flash. Mainly MIUI

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just use this on ununtu:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

were you bricked @clsA ?

Yes I did .. I flashed the 5.12.502.2 AT&T firmware and the when I rebooted it went to QHSUSB_DLOAD ...scared the crap out of me and then I saw you posted the Fix and it worked !!!