Methods to Move to Other ROMs

Search This thread

burowyako

Sep 12, 2007
What methods are recommended to move from one ROM to another? I know how to backup and flash, but configuring everything all over again, from Gmail accounts, WiFi networks, ringtones and so on is a hassle which causes me to hesitate to explore other ROM's.

For those of you who stay on top of the latest and greatest, do you have any tricks that you can share? I'm familiar with root and some of the gates it opens, but I don't have any programming background whatsoever and I'm only good at following a how-to guide.

I've heard of Titanium but I'm confused what it does. I've heard arguments that variables of ROM's, odexed versus deodexed, and so on cause Titanium to not always work.

Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app

ethomas94

Feb 22, 2011
Florissant
Before I switch ROMs, I usually use Titanium Backup to backup all user apps + data. I don't back up system apps because I don't know if that would be the best move when switching to ROMs that don't have cetain system functions of the previous ROM. While I'm backing up the user apps + data, I make a nandroid backup with TWRP. Then I flash the ROM, restore my apps, then play with the settings for about 10 minutes getting everything to where I want. It all takes me about 15 minutes to backup apps + data and nandroid backup, then about an hour to do everything after.

Reactions: megan23247

megan23247

May 22, 2010
Texas
Samsung Galaxy S10e
I do something similar. I backup my apps using Titanium Backup, and I to ONLY back up apps not system data ive done both ways and when I backed up the SYS Data I would sometimes get force close issues etc. I also use SMS backup/restore and backup my text messages (make sure u are backing up all this stuff to the external SD card not internal SD), I also use a file manager to make sure I got everything off internal memory an move it to external SD. Then I boot into Recovery Mode, wipe data, wipe dalvik, cache etc, ill flash my new ROM and then wipe dalvik and cache again (maybe pointless but I always have succes so Im not changing my ways now lol) after all that then I reboot and wait for it all to settle in, then sign into everything etc, and then for good measure, after its all done I power off and take batt out for 30 sec and then put it back in and power on and im good!

Been doing it this same way for years now and this is what works for me.

If u need help just let me know. :)

Sent from my Sexy Samsung S5

Reactions: gotjnco

seattleal

Aug 10, 2014
What methods are recommended to move from one ROM to another? I know how to backup and flash, but configuring everything all over again, from Gmail accounts, WiFi networks, ringtones and so on is a hassle which causes me to hesitate to explore other ROM's.

For those of you who stay on top of the latest and greatest, do you have any tricks that you can share? I'm familiar with root and some of the gates it opens, but I don't have any programming background whatsoever and I'm only good at following a how-to guide.

I've heard of Titanium but I'm confused what it does. I've heard arguments that variables of ROM's, odexed versus deodexed, and so on cause Titanium to not always work.

Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app

I'd like to know as well; on my Samsung Moment I could backup and restore data when flashing a new ROM, which quickly restored ringtones, call and message logs, etc. But this doesn't seem to be an option with current generation recoveries?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before I switch ROMs, I usually use Titanium Backup to backup all user apps + data. I don't back up system apps because I don't know if that would be the best move when switching to ROMs that don't have cetain system functions of the previous ROM. While I'm backing up the user apps + data, I make a nandroid backup with TWRP. Then I flash the ROM, restore my apps, then play with the settings for about 10 minutes getting everything to where I want. It all takes me about 15 minutes to backup apps + data and nandroid backup, then about an hour to do everything after.
    I do something similar. I backup my apps using Titanium Backup, and I to ONLY back up apps not system data ive done both ways and when I backed up the SYS Data I would sometimes get force close issues etc. I also use SMS backup/restore and backup my text messages (make sure u are backing up all this stuff to the external SD card not internal SD), I also use a file manager to make sure I got everything off internal memory an move it to external SD. Then I boot into Recovery Mode, wipe data, wipe dalvik, cache etc, ill flash my new ROM and then wipe dalvik and cache again (maybe pointless but I always have succes so Im not changing my ways now lol) after all that then I reboot and wait for it all to settle in, then sign into everything etc, and then for good measure, after its all done I power off and take batt out for 30 sec and then put it back in and power on and im good!

Been doing it this same way for years now and this is what works for me.

If u need help just let me know. :)

Sent from my Sexy Samsung S5