Failed at Odin

Search This thread

johnny quest

Jul 2, 2010
Port Saint Lucie
Hey gang, I'm stuck. I wanted to start my phone up back from stock to sell it to my friend and he wanted it not rooted. So I went to Odin and did all the steps correctly but it keeps failing. Ok last night I was able to use it and I did all the set up and even installed the update on my phone and now its on 4.3 over the air.
I wanted to put the S3Rx rom to show my friend what you can do with the phone but I can't install it because Odin keeps failing. The only thing I've noticed different was that the phone has now this "knox" app. I don't know if samsung made it harder to root your phone or what with this 4.3 upgrade.
Can someone help me solve this? what I want to do is just root my phone again. Any clues?

johnny quest

Jul 2, 2010
Port Saint Lucie
And what method is it? Use cf-auto root

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I don't know what you mean about cf-auto root. I even tried the other method up the installing the twrp.tar file and using Odin trying to flash the Knox removal zip, and nothing seems to work.
I don't understand I used to do this all the time and it never gave me problems. I used to do this to clean out my phone with so much junk that it was chewing up my storage space.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
If all you want to do is remove Knox then flash a recovery with Odin, and flash a stock ROM like stockmod 4.3, its also pre-roooted.. You cannot do that with Odin

Edit: also if you ever want to restore to stock or use root66 you need to flash the 4.3 tar versions, nothing below or it will fail everytime.. Things changed with the 4.3 official update

Last edited:

johnny quest

Jul 2, 2010
Port Saint Lucie
If all you want to do is remove Knox then flash a recovery with Odin, and flash a stock ROM like stockmod 4.3, its also pre-roooted.. You cannot do that with Odin

Edit: also if you ever want to restore to stock or use root66 you need to flash the 4.3 tar versions, nothing below or it will fail everytime.. Things changed with the 4.3 official update

Thats what I'm trying to do, is to flash a 4.3 rom but I keep getting "Failed" when I try to run a odin, I hit "pda" and pick a stock rom

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
The firmware is already installed on your phone, you don't need to flash it again.. now just flash a recovery with Odin and then flash your rom

Reactions: johnny quest

johnny quest

Jul 2, 2010
Port Saint Lucie
The firmware is already installed on your phone, you don't need to flash it again.. now just flash a recovery with Odin and then flash your rom

ok, I give it a shot, thanks again.

I'm using rom manager and I keep getting "an error occurred while flashing your recovery" but then I was looking into TWRP and it says that I must root my phone. I thought I was rooted after using a recovery in Odin

Last edited:

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
If you already flashed a recovery in Odin then just flash your ROM in recovery.. If you haven't flashed a custom recovery, flash it in Odin, then reboot to recovery and flash your rom

johnny quest

Jul 2, 2010
Port Saint Lucie
If you already flashed a recovery in Odin then just flash your ROM in recovery.. If you haven't flashed a custom recovery, flash it in Odin, then reboot to recovery and flash your rom

I'm down loading a custom recovery now, I'll give it a try.

keep trying to upgrade my rom manager app but keep getting that error. but I'm going to try to flash a rom

Last edited:

johnny quest

Jul 2, 2010
Port Saint Lucie
Ok, I am trying hard to get this and all I'm getting is frustrated with x amount of attempts. This is where I am: I'm on 4.3 Device status: Custom
Build: JSS15J.T999UVUEMJC
with this I can't get to flash a rom. I was trying to flash the S3Rx 3.0 aroma but whenever but it just won't and whenever I try to go to recovery through Rom Manager theres an era.
I guess I'm stuck with this so called stock 4.3 without any special features. I'm going to give it another try with another rom and see.

johnny quest

Jul 2, 2010
Port Saint Lucie
What error did you get in twrp?

I've never used TWRP. I don't even know how to get it. If I do go to Rom Manager it says "you must root your phone for Rom Manager to function. Superuser was not found at "/system/bin/su" or "/system/xbin/su".
thats what I get when I go into Rom Manager.

when I pick ClockworkMod Recovery it asks for either 2.x or 3.x+ I pick either one and it says that it has been set up to use your existing recovery installation. then I tap OK and when I get out of app and go back into it, it says there is an update available for CWM I click at it and then it does the installation at 100% then I get "an error occurred while trying to flash your recovery"

So basically I have no recovery that can flash any roms. I really appreciate your help and patience. I'm just going insane here I honestly believe its that upgrade I got OTA to 4.3 because all along before I had 4.1.2 and gave me no problems. I think what it was is that when I used Odin to unroot my phone I did all the installation to get back to stock, then I was wondering about updates so I went to the menu and tapped on the Software upgrade and then it was upgrading (500 and something megabytes) then it reboot and it was 4.3

johnny quest

Jul 2, 2010
Port Saint Lucie

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You need to download the recovery from http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/d2tmo and flash it with Odin.. Keep in mind that this will trip the warranty counter just to let you know, and you cannot reset it.. After that you can flash the ROM

Reflash twrp, but uncheck the reboot option, after it passes remove battery, and enter straight into recovery.. That should get you the correct recovery

Reflash twrp, but uncheck the reboot option, after it passes remove battery, and enter straight into recovery.. That should get you the correct recovery

It worked!!! I just have to get used to the TRWP instead of CWM. I was able to install Superuser and now I'm HAPPY, thank you so much for all your help. it took the whole day for this. I couldn't even study for my class. Excellent. now I can flash other roms if need to, thank you