[Q] Nexus 7 (2012) Shutting Down for no reason

Search This thread

Legobricke

Aug 10, 2010
Jupiter
Ok.... A brief description....

Nexus 7 is on..... Sometimes it's in the dock..... Sometimes it's in the case.....

All seems fine and running.....

Then.... When not in use (in the case) or sometimes charging in the dock, It just shuts down and will only restart with a loooong press on hold of the power button. In all cases, the battery is 90% > 100% charged.

Now.... I have reset the cache and factory reset a few times.... Yet the problem is still there.

Last few times, I have reset the cache and then the factory reset.... The reset of cache works fine, but if I reset the cache prior to factory reset, the factory reset shows a bunch of errors trying to access the cache....

Am I doing something incorrectly or does it have to go back to Asus for a second time?

These issues didn't start occurring until after the last system update to 4.4.2

Lego.

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Ok.... A brief description....

Nexus 7 is on..... Sometimes it's in the dock..... Sometimes it's in the case.....

All seems fine and running.....

Then.... When not in use (in the case) or sometimes charging in the dock, It just shuts down and will only restart with a loooong press on hold of the power button. In all cases, the battery is 90% > 100% charged.

Now.... I have reset the cache and factory reset a few times.... Yet the problem is still there.

Last few times, I have reset the cache and then the factory reset.... The reset of cache works fine, but if I reset the cache prior to factory reset, the factory reset shows a bunch of errors trying to access the cache....

Am I doing something incorrectly or does it have to go back to Asus for a second time?

These issues didn't start occurring until after the last system update to 4.4.2

Lego.

Hi, Legobricke...

...but if I reset the cache prior to factory reset, the factory reset shows a bunch of errors trying to access the cache...

How are you resetting the cache? Do you mean clearing the cache? Are you referring to Dalvik cache? Are you doing this via a Custom Recovery (CWM or TWRP)?

What error messages do you see? Can you post a screenshot of these error messages?

Sorry for the barrage of questions... but the more information you can provide, the more likely you are to acquire a diagnosis, and a possible solution.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Legobricke

Aug 10, 2010
Jupiter
Hi, Legobricke...

How are you resetting the cache? Do you mean clearing the cache? Are you referring to Dalvik cache? Are you doing this via a Custom Recovery (CWM or TWRP)?

What error messages do you see? Can you post a screenshot of these error messages?

Sorry for the barrage of questions... but the more information you can provide, the more likely you are to acquire a diagnosis, and a possible solution.

Rgrds,
Ged.

I am clearing the Dalvik cache..... This is done in stock recovery on an unrooted Nexus 7.

I can't take a screen shot unless I do a full factory reset again... But if I remember right it was trying to access E drive and the at least on error said it could access the cache...

Legobricke

Aug 10, 2010
Jupiter
Hi, Legobricke...

Rgrds,
Ged.

This is what I get after clearing Dalvik and then trying a Factory Reset:

Formatting /data...
E: failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install
E: Failed closing /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tega.3/by-name/MSC (I/O error)

Anyone?

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
This is what I get after clearing Dalvik and then trying a Factory Reset:

Formatting /data...
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install

Anyone?

Hi, Legobricke...

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, but I've been really busy this past week with work.

And if truth be told, I've also been finding excuses not to write this post... because I hate delivering bad news. And your above quoted output, I think, is very 'bad news'.

Everything about it suggests you have either a bad eMMC/NAND chip (hardware failure)... or a partition corruption.

There is very slim possibility you **might** get your Nexus 7 working again, by fastboot flashing a Google factory stock image... but given your previous descriptions of random shutdowns, and this sort of thing...

Code:
(...and which is something I've never seen or heard of before...)

Well... I'm not optimistic fastboot flashing anything will work, to be honest.

I think your best bet, is to return it back to Asus and hope they'll fix it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Rgrds,
Ged.