How to Tether using WiFi Tether- TrevE Mod (ROOT NEEDED)

Search This thread

The Apostle

Jan 27, 2012
Saint Louis
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8T
hi i am usin the Google edition Rom from this post
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2539361
i tried the above method and it didnt workbut i manged to make it work using the following method.

1. Install FoxFi from Google Play
2.Then on your laptop , open your browser -i use Chrome- and install the extension called "user agent switcher"
What this does is to spoof your laptop so it thinks is a mobile :)
With the default settings on user agent you dont have many option , so you can import the xml file that i have in the topic.You can do it by going to the settings of chrome or firefox.
You can use firefox also with a similar addon "user agent and import the same xml file"

You don't need foxfi on Dan's ROM. It works with the built in WiFi Tethering option.

BoboBrazil

Apr 5, 2009
You don't need foxfi on Dan's ROM. It works with the built in WiFi Tethering option.

Doesn't work for me with PIA. The hotspot works. It just doesn't show me using the vpn when I check my ip online...I'm trying the built in tether on 4.4.2 danvdh

peachepe

Jan 31, 2014
I've finally managed to figure it out, thanks to the threads here on XDA.

How to enable WiFi Tethering with all traffic routed through VPN

Current setup
Galaxy Note 2 (T-Mobile), Rooted, Android 4.1.2, stock TW ROM

Applications needed
- WiFi Tether Widget "Tethering Widget" from the Play store (I'm using the one by Hi-Develop)
- RootExplorer with root access
- adbd Insecure (by Chainfire) from the Play Store or from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1687590
- APN Backup and Restore from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1962752
- Shell script to forward traffic from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1766020&page=4
(I named the script ipforward.sh)
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
iptables -t filter -F FORWARD
iptables -t nat -F POSTROUTING
iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE

Steps for PC Setup
1. Root your phone
2. Install WiFi Tether Widget
3. Install RootExplorer
4. Install adbd Insecure
5. Extract files from APN Backup and Restore thread to your PC
6. Install Android Commander on Windows PC
7. Copy the new APN .xml file to phone in folder "ApnBackupRestore"
8. Copy the shell script to any folder you want (I just put it in the Downloads folder)
9. Run adbd Insecure on phone (needed to allow Android Commander install apks)
10. Run Android Commander on Windows PC (make sure root is OK, see the above thread for details)
11. Install APN Backup and Restore as a System App
12. Close Android Commander
13. Open APN Backup and Restore on your phone
14. Dismiss the warning
15. Click on the menu and disable ICS check
16. Close APN Backup and Restore (fully close)
17. Reopen APN Backup and Restore
18. You can choose to backup the original APN now
19. Click on Delete APN
20. Click on Restore APN and choose the new t-mobile.xml from WarlockW
21. Enable tethering from tethering widget (supposed stock app will overwrite APNs, so don't use it)
22. Enable VPN
23. Open Root Explorer and go to the directory you copied ipforward.sh
24. Clock on the ipforward.sh and choose Execute
25. Output should be 0 and nulls

You now have tethering enabled and all clients tethered to your device will also be tunneled through VPN.

Now every time you want to tether, you need to:
1. Run tether widget
2. Start VPN
3. Run shell script from root explorer to forward traffic to VPN tunnel

Background
It seems like the stock T-mo tethering app would route all client traffic through the phone's default IP address and not use the VPN. This probably helps them monitor the type of traffic. TrevE mod also did not work for me after 4.1.2 update, and I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. Somehow, the hidden APN used for tethering was preventing tethered traffic to go through a VPN tunnel. I did not want to mess with the APNs, but in the end this was the only solution that worked for me. I triple checked my IP address on the phone before and after VPN and also on the clients before and after VPN. This method seems to do the trick.

Routing client traffic through VPN is useful for many reasons, so I hope this solution works for others as well. Thanks to all the authors of the threads above as they were key to making this happen. The setup is somewhat involved, but the final solution is not too cumbersome.

Hi, I'm doing everything as you listed here, and my computer always get the tmobile ip, I tried turning the tether first, then the vpn, and the vpn first, then the tether. Therefore I ended up using the VPN on the computer and user angent switcher just to be sure, and it seems to be working, all my traffic is listed as normal, and not as hotspot traffic. However, I would like the phone to handle the vpn part. I'm guessing my phone needs different iptables config?

I'm on a rooted tmobile galaxy note 3 (SM-N900T) with android 4.3

m69k69

Jul 2, 2012
I've finally managed to figure it out, thanks to the threads here on XDA.

How to enable WiFi Tethering with all traffic routed through VPN

Current setup
Galaxy Note 2 (T-Mobile), Rooted, Android 4.1.2, stock TW ROM

Applications needed
- WiFi Tether Widget "Tethering Widget" from the Play store (I'm using the one by Hi-Develop)
- RootExplorer with root access
- adbd Insecure (by Chainfire) from the Play Store or from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1687590
- APN Backup and Restore from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1962752
- Shell script to forward traffic from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1766020&page=4
(I named the script ipforward.sh)
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
iptables -t filter -F FORWARD
iptables -t nat -F POSTROUTING
iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE

Steps for PC Setup
1. Root your phone
2. Install WiFi Tether Widget
3. Install RootExplorer
4. Install adbd Insecure
5. Extract files from APN Backup and Restore thread to your PC
6. Install Android Commander on Windows PC
7. Copy the new APN .xml file to phone in folder "ApnBackupRestore"
8. Copy the shell script to any folder you want (I just put it in the Downloads folder)
9. Run adbd Insecure on phone (needed to allow Android Commander install apks)
10. Run Android Commander on Windows PC (make sure root is OK, see the above thread for details)
11. Install APN Backup and Restore as a System App
12. Close Android Commander
13. Open APN Backup and Restore on your phone
14. Dismiss the warning
15. Click on the menu and disable ICS check
16. Close APN Backup and Restore (fully close)
17. Reopen APN Backup and Restore
18. You can choose to backup the original APN now
19. Click on Delete APN
20. Click on Restore APN and choose the new t-mobile.xml from WarlockW
21. Enable tethering from tethering widget (supposed stock app will overwrite APNs, so don't use it)
22. Enable VPN
23. Open Root Explorer and go to the directory you copied ipforward.sh
24. Clock on the ipforward.sh and choose Execute
25. Output should be 0 and nulls

You now have tethering enabled and all clients tethered to your device will also be tunneled through VPN.

Now every time you want to tether, you need to:
1. Run tether widget
2. Start VPN
3. Run shell script from root explorer to forward traffic to VPN tunnel

Background
It seems like the stock T-mo tethering app would route all client traffic through the phone's default IP address and not use the VPN. This probably helps them monitor the type of traffic. TrevE mod also did not work for me after 4.1.2 update, and I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. Somehow, the hidden APN used for tethering was preventing tethered traffic to go through a VPN tunnel. I did not want to mess with the APNs, but in the end this was the only solution that worked for me. I triple checked my IP address on the phone before and after VPN and also on the clients before and after VPN. This method seems to do the trick.

Routing client traffic through VPN is useful for many reasons, so I hope this solution works for others as well. Thanks to all the authors of the threads above as they were key to making this happen. The setup is somewhat involved, but the final solution is not too cumbersome.

So when I try to run the iptable script, I get the following message: "Warning-Errors: iptables: No chain/target/match by that name". I am using android 4.3

idlemen

Jan 24, 2014
Not sure of right thread but seems most active concerning the treve wifi mod

I tried multiple Treve apk versions and a bunch of device profiles and cannot get this thing to work on my phone sgh t679 running android 2.3.5 using Tmobile 30 dollar plan

The only reason I am super frustrated is because FoxFi DOES work the free version disconnects me quickly like at 30mb or about but i can just reconnect immediately . BTW I am using tether to connect to my Nexus 7.

I don't know much about these things, but I am just curious what foxfi is doing right that I can't quite figure out to emulate in treve wifi tether by choosing different device profiles and choosing different parameters... Been trying to trouble shoot but got tired tonight, will continue tomorrow.

Last edited:

axel2589

Feb 1, 2014
What configuration are u referring to from op to set up for Tethering mod

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Kachupi502

Feb 12, 2014
Help?

Hey guys. I just came from using a Galaxy Note 2. Since my school does not have the greatest network available, I like to tether my laptop through my phone. With the Galaxy Note 2, I used the settings in this thread in the Note 2 section to allow me to tether more than the 500mb included with my data plan.

When I got the GS4, those same settings didn't work. I did some tinkering with the settings with this app on my GS4, and I've managed to get it working again.

In order for it to work, I highly recommend using a VPN on your phone so that all data is encrypted, hiding it from T-Mobile's sniffing to see if you're using a desktop browser. I use Private Internet Access to accomplish this, and have had no problems using their app running on my phone while tethering. I'm sure you can use other free alternatives, such as Hotspot Shield VPN, but I prefer PIA.

The settings I'm using are as follows:

• Device-Profile: Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Setup-Method: Hostapd (master)
  • Wifi Encryption Enabled
  • Wireless Channel 1
  • MSS clamping enabled
  • Routing fix enabled
  • Disable Wake-Lock enabled (aka, check the box)

You need root access for this to work

I've attached the version of the mod I'm using, I'm using Version 3.2-beta2-modv5 ***Synergized***, which I pulled straight from my Note 2 and installed on my GS4. If you want to download it yourself, the Note 2 post I mentioned above directs here as the place to get the mod.

Step by step instructions:

1. BE ROOTED.
    If you have not updated to the May 7th OTA update, rooting takes about 5 minutes and just a couple clicks. Follow the steps in this post.
    If you have updated to the OTA, it's a few more steps. Root the OTA update using the steps here
  2. Install and configure Hotspot Shield VPN, or your VPN service of choice
  3. Download and install the tether mod (either download attached file in OP, or follow the link to download from the other post)
  4. Open tether mod, press menu, settings
  5. Configure the options mentioned in original post
  6. Run your VPN app before starting the tether.
  7. Start tethering

Hi All-
I followed these instruction exactly but I get errors when booting the TreMod wifi app. And therefore the tethering doesn't appear to be broadcasting.

My devices stats:

SGH M919
Android 4.2.2
Baseband Version: m919uvuamdl
Kernel 3.4.0-453951 se. infra@SEP-133 #1 Fri Apr 26 16:55:54 KST 2013

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 AM ----------

Hi All-
I followed these instruction exactly but I get errors when booting the TreMod wifi app. And therefore the tethering doesn't appear to be broadcasting.

My devices stats:

SGH M919
Android 4.2.2
Baseband Version: m919uvuamdl
Kernel 3.4.0-453951 se. infra@SEP-133 #1 Fri Apr 26 16:55:54 KST 2013

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

At the risk of speaking to soon I flashed a different Kernal per post 130 and it seems to be working. I'm using VPN 1 Click as I did on the s3. Awesome.

Thanks!!!!!!

JonathanC2017

Feb 12, 2014
Start Up On Boot

Is there any way that i could start up the wifi hotspot with my phone like say starting my phone up with the hotspot already on? because i use my hotspot alot and when ever i want to restart my phone i want the hotspot to be turned on automatically

ibrahim0512

Feb 18, 2014
Just tried this on my gs4 running cm11, when I started the tether, it said tethering started with errors and in the log, everything was fine except it said that starting hostapd failed... I really wanna get this to work since there are no charges.:( is this normal and/or if I keep using it like that, will I still get charged?

James62370

Feb 22, 2007
Go to settings in the app and select the option that states, might be needed for Roms 4.2 and above. This worked for me. Good luck.

JonathanC103

Mar 18, 2014
Hot Spot On Startup

is there anyway that i could make the Trev-E mod hotspot startup along with the startup itself , like say if i were to restart the phone the phone will power up with the hotspot on , or am i just going to have to do that manually?

Don164

Nov 22, 2013
I have also encountered a problem. I installed the app through an APK and it looked to be fine, I clicked on the tether button and it essentially said it worked but with errors, check the error log to find out more, so I did but the file doesnt exist.
I have a rooted Note 3 which has the stock ROM 4.3

normanx

Nov 25, 2011
Lakeland Florida
www.dropbox.com
I have also encountered a problem. I installed the app through an APK and it looked to be fine, I clicked on the tether button and it essentially said it worked but with errors, check the error log to find out more, so I did but the file doesnt exist.
I have a rooted Note 3 which has the stock ROM 4.3

Did you adjust the settings like it says in the OP?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys. I just came from using a Galaxy Note 2. Since my school does not have the greatest network available, I like to tether my laptop through my phone. With the Galaxy Note 2, I used the settings in this thread in the Note 2 section to allow me to tether more than the 500mb included with my data plan.

When I got the GS4, those same settings didn't work. I did some tinkering with the settings with this app on my GS4, and I've managed to get it working again.

In order for it to work, I highly recommend using a VPN on your phone so that all data is encrypted, hiding it from T-Mobile's sniffing to see if you're using a desktop browser. I use Private Internet Access to accomplish this, and have had no problems using their app running on my phone while tethering. I'm sure you can use other free alternatives, such as Hotspot Shield VPN, but I prefer PIA.

The settings I'm using are as follows:

• Device-Profile: Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Setup-Method: Hostapd (master)
    • Wifi Encryption Enabled
    • Wireless Channel 1
    • MSS clamping enabled
    • Routing fix enabled
    • Disable Wake-Lock enabled (aka, check the box)

You need root access for this to work

I've attached the version of the mod I'm using, I'm using Version 3.2-beta2-modv5 ***Synergized***, which I pulled straight from my Note 2 and installed on my GS4. If you want to download it yourself, the Note 2 post I mentioned above directs here as the place to get the mod.

1. BE ROOTED.
      If you have not updated to the May 7th OTA update, rooting takes about 5 minutes and just a couple clicks. Follow the steps in this post.
      If you have updated to the OTA, it's a few more steps. Root the OTA update using the steps here
    2. Install and configure Hotspot Shield VPN, or your VPN service of choice
    3. Download and install the tether mod (either download attached file in OP, or follow the link to download from the other post)
    6. Run your VPN app before starting the tether.
    7. Start tethering
    I've solved the CM tether-VPN compatibility in a secure fashion. I'll probably post a flashable zip (containing an init.d script that, thanks to addon.d, will persist with updates) tomorrow.
    I'm confused, could you post step by step instructions?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium

1. BE ROOTED (I forgot to include that in OP, I've edited it to show that it's needed).
      If you have updated to the OTA, it's a bit more complicated. Root the OTA update using the steps here
    2. Install and configure Hotspot Shield VPN
    6. Start tethering
    Guys WiFi tether in play store was updated to include s4 support. If you have root it works perfectly without any further steps needed.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta