HELP-Problem With System.img when using recovery tool.

Search This thread

Kagari_

Mar 11, 2014
I bricked my Fire HD (red triangle), so I downloaded the Kindle Fire HD System.img recovery tool onto my Samsung laptop.
Then I decided to unbrikc it using using my other laptop, so I copied the unzipped file over through USB.
Now whenever I try and execute option one, I get-
error: could not load images/system.img
Everything that should be in there is in there. I tried deleting the files and copying them back over but still the same.
Help before I throw the goddamn thing out of a window?

Oh, one more thing. I don't have TWRP /2nd bootloader. I gave up wrestling with it to get it to install at 5am this morning.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I bricked my Fire HD (red triangle), so I downloaded the Kindle Fire HD System.img recovery tool onto my Samsung laptop.
Then I decided to unbrikc it using using my other laptop, so I copied the unzipped file over through USB.
Now whenever I try and execute option one, I get-
error: could not load images/system.img
Everything that should be in there is in there. I tried deleting the files and copying them back over but still the same.
Help before I throw the goddamn thing out of a window?

Oh, one more thing. I don't have TWRP /2nd bootloader. I gave up wrestling with it to get it to install at 5am this morning.

Try kindle fire first aid instead then, it will download the images off the net and should work. If you need any advice with installing 2nd bootloader + twrp after you get it restored feel free to post back.

Kagari_

Mar 11, 2014
How long does the system.img file take to download? Seems like its taking a while, even though it is a large file.

Yep, pretty sure something's gone wrong along the way as I've had it running for a few hours now.
Something I noticed was when I ran the System.img tool as a non-administrator account, it gave me a slightly different message:

load_file: could not allocate 929038336 bytes
error: cannot load 'images/system.img'
Not sure if that means anything.

Kagari_

Mar 11, 2014
Yep, pretty sure something's gone wrong along the way as I've had it running for a few hours now.
Something I noticed was when I ran the System.img tool as a non-administrator account, it gave me a slightly different message:

load_file: could not allocate 929038336 bytes
error: cannot load 'images/system.img'
Not sure if that means anything.

How long does the system.img file take to download? Seems like its taking a while, even though it is a large file.

Update again, sorry. I just tried manually flashing the .imgs and get both of the errors.
Im running windows vista home edition at the moment.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Update again, sorry. I just tried manually flashing the .imgs and get both of the errors.
Im running windows vista home edition at the moment.

ewwww vista.....

I can't stand uac, i disable it in windows 7. As long as the image is in the same folder as the fastboot command, and you cd into that folder from a administrative command prompt, you shouldnt being getting that error, that error means it cant find the file you specified.

edit: Wait, that was a error for size being too big probably, wth? gimme a sec

edit2: ok that doesn't make sense thats about 886mb.
if you wonder how i get a number in the 800's when the number starts with a 9 its because a mb is technically 1024kb etc. computers operate in base 2 whereas we operate in base 10. Yay math!

Last edited:

Kagari_

Mar 11, 2014
ewwww vista.....

I can't stand uac, i disable it in windows 7. As long as the image is in the same folder as the fastboot command, and you cd into that folder from a administrative command prompt, you shouldnt being getting that error, that error means it cant find the file you specified.

if you wonder how i get a number in the 800's when the number starts with a 9 its because a mb is technically 1024kb etc. computers operate in base 2 whereas we operate in base 10. Yay math!
Think that anything can be done? Or should I start ebaying for a new tablet?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I don't think there should be a reason to get a new tablet, I mean this should work, maybe someone else has some ideas? I'd be willing to try to fix it remotely myself because this is weird. This scenario is just weird in general, haven't run into this problem before to the point I have a definite yes it is fixable or no its not.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
ewwww vista.....

Are you sure you are using a KFHD7 and not a KF2? I ask because that file to big error was common with that. You will want to use option 3 of the Kindle Fire restore tool.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Kagari_

Mar 11, 2014
Are you sure you are using a KFHD7 and not a KF2? I ask because that file to big error was common with that. You will want to use option 3 of the Kindle Fire restore tool.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Definitely a KFHD7. Fixing it remotely sounds like my only option right now, because I'm stumped. Also, sorry it took me so long to reply. Vacation.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Definitely a KFHD7. Fixing it remotely sounds like my only option right now, because I'm stumped. Also, sorry it took me so long to reply. Vacation.

Edit: You said definitely a KFHD, I misread. Does it have a camera and HDMI output or no? Did you check the images you downloaded to make sure they are there and that the download did not get corrupted.

Edit2: The 2013 KFHD will not work with the 2012 system restore but will with the 2012. This problem never really happened with the KFHD7 far as I can remember.

Last edited:

Kagari_

Mar 11, 2014
Edit: You said definitely a KFHD, I misread. Does it have a camera and HDMI output or no? Did you check the images you downloaded to make sure they are there and that the download did not get corrupted.

Edit2: The 2013 KFHD will not work with the 2012 system restore but will with the 2012. This problem never really happened with the KFHD7 far as I can remember.

Yep, front camera and hdmi.
It's definitely the 2012 edition, as I got it for Christmas in 2012. Unless the 2013 version was released in 2012, like they do with the guiness world records books.
I've been trying to flash them manually but I keep getting <waiting for device>
For KFHD7 it's x0149 right?

Kagari_

Mar 11, 2014
It's definitely the 2012 edition, as I got it for Christmas in 2012. Unless the 2013 version was released in 2012, like they do with the guiness world records books.

Might be a dumb idea, but If I download the latest update.zip from the amazon website, and flash it using fastboot would that work?

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest

Waiting for device means your fastboot is not being recognized. Can you copy/paste the path you have set up. It's the tool folder path from the SDK package. You want to make sure the drivers are set up properly to.

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Might be a dumb idea, but If I download the latest update.zip from the amazon website, and flash it using fastboot would that work?

No, not at all. Images have to be made a certain way to flash via fastboot. Besides your fastboot is not being recognized so nothing will flash atm.