How to fix google services battery drain
As many of you have probably encountered, on both TW and AOSP roms alike, Google Services will suddenly start using absurd amounts of battery (read 25+% of your battery). You may probably be wondering why it happened, just like me, and download a battery stats app, just like I did. Now if you run this app, and check the wakelock stats, you will notice that the service nlp and a service nlpcollector(correct me if i'm wrong) are holding your phone for about 80% of your discharge time.
Another thing you might notice is that along with the long wakelocks, if you navigate to "Settings>accounts>google>sync settings"(or something like that) you might notice that there are things that haven't been syncing. For me it was something called people details, which had failed to sync for the last 4 days.
Okay now for the fix. The quickest and simplest way to fix this problem is to navigate to
2. find the app manager(different places in different roms)
3. change the tab to "All"(should be the same for all roms)
4. now scroll down and look for "Google Play services"
5. click it and click "Uninstall updates"
HOWEVER, this causes system to ask you to update the app in order to support apps like Hangouts and other google apps.
Now for me, updating Google Play Services via the notification bar did not cause the battery drain to come back, although I have no solid proof that I am anything but lucky. In order to be on the safe side, I recommend
1. update the google play services via the playstore(sometimes just uninstalling the updates and re-updating may fix the problem)
2. restart phone
3. navigate to the accounts menu(tw is a tab i think, aosp is just a list in the settings menu)
4. go to you're google account sync settings and look for the one that wasn't syncing for you(in my case it was People details)
5. uncheck the box
If this works for you or doesn't work for you please let me know.