[Q] Can anyone boot any Smartphone from the external SD Card?
These are my current problems:
1) I lost my Galaxy S3 overboard!
2) I had not made a backup because I detest Kies. Kies crippled my PC performance and hid my backed up (*.sbu) files from the PC file system.
3) I want to avoid the use of all proprietary software on my PC in order to manage my backups (including OS backups).
1) Buy a replacement Smartphone (a Galaxy S4?) which has an external SD Card slot.
2) Flash a custom bootloader with complete Backup / Restore functionality.
3) Backup Function: A complete phone Backup, (i.e. OS, Apps, Data and MyFiles), is made to a new folder in the root of the external SD Card. I can give this folder any name, e.g. “OriginalPhone” or “2013-04-21” etc.
4) A single file in the root of the external SD Card called “current.txt” contains a single folder name - that of the default folder for booting, e.g. “2013-04-21”.
5) Normal Booting uses the files originating from the folder specified in “current.txt”.
6) If there is no change detected in the boot files of the “current” boot folder, the phone boots “normally” from the OS copy in NAND flash if this results in a quicker boot than booting directly from the external SD card.
7) Booting with a combination of keys enables the Bootloader Restore function which allows the user to choose the boot folder to restore from.
8) I can use my PC file manager to manage all OS and data files for archive, backup and restore purposes. I will not need to use any proprietary software!
9) If I lose my phone again, I simply buy the same model as a replacement, change the bootloader, copy my most recent backup folder from my PC to a new SD card, insert the new SD card into the phone, and restore my "complete phone".
Can anyone help me to create a custom bootloader with complete Backup / Restore functionality that can boot any Smartphone from the external SD Card? Thanks in advance!