Linux(Fedora, Ubuntu, etc) on the Nexus 10

Search This thread

robotsapiens

Jul 6, 2011
I am not a developer, but if anybody comes out with some possible solution I can try it. Some posts before someone said something about starting from Chromebook: They already have Lubuntu for chrome and it is from the same maker and has the same Exynos 5 inside. Looks like the way to go.

teh_cANONs

Mar 25, 2011
Tulsa
well, it seams no one is actively working on this. i guess im going to try my hands at development and see if i can get a proof of concept. ill post here again if i hit a stumbling block or make a breakthrough

Reactions: newellj79

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
Although the link below is an update on the release of a Ubuntu phone it also mentions tablets. "... will be available on a full range of devices, including desktop and tablet computers ...". I also like that the first target device for the Ubuntu phone is "optimized for the Galaxy Nexus handset".
From Feb 6th: http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2013/02/06/ubuntu-smartphone-shipping-in-october/

It gives me hope that eventually we have an Ubuntu option on the Nexus 10, hopefully in a dual-boot configuration. Which is one of the reasons I am holding out for a 32GB model when/if they every become abailable in Canada.

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
The problem with Canonical is.. I've yet to see a glimmer of hope they made Bloatbuntu into a lightweight distribution of Linux. The Nexus 7 version was a steaming pile and good for nothing except to brag about how you have Ubuntu on your tablet. They have a phone coming out in October also.

Here is my thing.. Android is portable Linux already. Yes, it's Java based but the same principles and kernel are at hand. Why would I want a desktop version of Linux hamfisted into some convoluted tablet variant? You know who else tried turning a desktop OS into a phone and Tablet OS?? Et Hem... You see how well that turned out? Get me a version of Debian, Gentoo or Arch I can install on a phone or tablet and THEN you'll peak my interest.

And that phone in October is going to be a disaster..

Last edited:

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
Someone just got Unbuntu Lucid running. Unfortunately one of the moderators is removing all trace of its existence on these forums for seemingly no reason. The threads look exactly the same info as other threads on booting Ubuntu with other devices that we have here on XDA.

Jotokun

Apr 23, 2011
Someone just got Unbuntu Lucid running. Unfortunately one of the moderators is removing all trace of its existence on these forums for seemingly no reason. The threads look exactly the same info as other threads on booting Ubuntu with other devices that we have here on XDA.

Do you mean this? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2139575

If so, that's just a chrooted linux which many of us already have going. What's being discussed here is real, 100% native, no android in the background linux.

mymusicathome

Dec 4, 2011
Just checked out WWW.ubuntu.com... Looks like a tablet announcement in 16 hours.

I know the nexus s and 4 are getting a taste... Fingers crossed the 10 gets some action too :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Jotokun

Jotokun

Apr 23, 2011
Just checked out WWW.ubuntu.com... Looks like a tablet announcement in 16 hours.

I know the nexus s and 4 are getting a taste... Fingers crossed the 10 gets some action too :)

Definitely have my fingers crossed. I'll admit I'm not a fan of Ubuntu, but this would at least open the door to other distributions like Debian or Arch.

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Definitely have my fingers crossed. I'll admit I'm not a fan of Ubuntu, but this would at least open the door to other distributions like Debian or Arch.

That's the only thing I'm hoping for myself. A pure debian experience in my hands would be amazing.. I'm very skeptical though about Canonical's intentions and execution here.. If it's just a watered down Linux with locked doors in place keeping you from building on it and changing it. Then screw em..

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6

I heard it was related to HTC (both Ubuntu and HTC have a similar counter on their pages it seems) but then I heard it was coincidence. I do hope it is just coincidence and that it'll be something for the Nexus 10 :)

dalingrin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 6, 2007
I heard it was related to HTC (both Ubuntu and HTC have a similar counter on their pages it seems) but then I heard it was coincidence. I do hope it is just coincidence and that it'll be something for the Nexus 10 :)

I think it has a far better chance of being for the Nexus 7 :(

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
Doesn't the N7 already have an ubuntu port?

Here is a podcast showing the install and some use of Ubuntu on Nexus 7.
Hak5 1220, Free your Nexus 7 - Make it run Ubuntu!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9W7E5S5YhE

What you see right away is that the interface is not tuned for a Tablet, also the Nexis 7 screen size is just too small for how it was implemented.

I fully expect that in today's announcement that we will see a much better touch-tablet tuned interface. And yes I am one of the people with fingers crossed that the Nexus 10 is a candidate target for this implementation.

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Well.. That was anticlimactic.

Ubuntu - Where self generated hype crashes our own servers! So much fail...

Last edited:

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Edit nevermind.. That big old countdown for something we already knew about and they already showed live demos of.

Last edited:

dalingrin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 6, 2007
Fantastic news. I'm really glad I didn't go through with porting Linux to the Nexus 10 =)

Now we need two things:
-Boot manager to dual boot Android and Ubuntu
-Android app compatibility

My guess is Android app compatibility will be difficult for the community to make but we should be able to make a boot manager/bootloader

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For now this post is primarily a feeler to see if there are any other developers that want to work on dual booting Android and a Linux distribution. My Nexus 10 has shipped but has not yet arrived so I've not done any work on it yet.

The Samsung Chromebook is able to run Ubuntu without issues and it has the same SoC. Hopefully, the Nexus 10 kernel will be similar and can easily use the Linux GPU blobs without a lot of work.
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=samsung_chrome_a15&num=1

The Nexus 10's fast CPU in combination with a keyboard case should result in a relatively good experience when running a traditional Linux distribution with KDE Plasma Active or the like.
    I just chroot-installed lubuntu 12.04 on my N10, using http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1585009 This is just for curiosity's sake, to see what ubuntu is like on the N10, both in terms of usage/GUI and in terms of performance (knowing full well that performance will take a big hit under chroot/VNC). Here my little report, in case it would be of use as a reference for developing/running linux natively on the N10.

In short: lubuntu is almost usable. Graphics is sluggish (as expected?); as you move xterm across the screen you actually see a series of rectangles and it takes a few seconds for the DE to clean it up. Once you're inside the xterm then the system seems fairly responsive. I was able to apt-get install latex and libreoffice (!) and both work. Curiously scp does not work (ssh does) and I didn't spend much time investigating scp. I can't install dropbox.

I set the resolution of the VNC viewer to be 2560x1500 (leaving room for the android buttons). That was a mistake; menu/window frames/scroll bars etc are TINY. I should have used a smaller resolution and then pinch-zoom. Suggestion for developer: Make everything bigger.

According to top, just running the VNC viewer takes 110-120% of the CPU. That means if we can run linux naively we should expect much better performance.

Finally, I installed "System Profiler & Benchmark". Here's the output of the benchmark for the N10 vs that of an N270 atom netbook with 1G of ram and my Quad Core Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (for all benchmarks below except for cryptohash: a smaller number is better):

CPU Blowfish
    Q9400 2003 MHz 3.283
    N10 Unknown MHz 24.159
    netbook 1600MHz 16.305 <-- not typo
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.50GHz (null) 26.1876862
    PowerPC 740/750 (280.00MHz) (null) 172.816713

CPU CryptoHash
    Q9400 356.041
    N10 67.604
    netbook 57.059

CPU Fibonacci
    Q9400 3.021
    N10 5.861
    netbook 8.358
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 8.1375674
    PowerPC 740/750 58.07682

CPU N-Queens
    Q9400 17.614
    N10 15.616 <-- not typo
    netbook 17.852

FPU FFT
    Q9400 1.560
    N10 13.498
    netbook 17.646

FPU Raytracing
    Q9400 19.257
    N10 20.286
    netbook 33.042
    Intel (R) Celeron (R) M processor 40.8816714
    PowerPC 740/750 161.312647
    Fantastic news. I'm really glad I didn't go through with porting Linux to the Nexus 10 =)

Now we need two things:
    -Boot manager to dual boot Android and Ubuntu
    -Android app compatibility

My guess is Android app compatibility will be difficult for the community to make but we should be able to make a boot manager/bootloader

I would support this too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    I just chroot-installed lubuntu 12.04 on my N10, using http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1585009 This is just for curiosity's sake, to see what ubuntu is like on the N10, both in terms of usage/GUI and in terms of performance (knowing full well that performance will take a big hit under chroot/VNC). Here my little report, in case it would be of use as a reference for developing/running linux natively on the N10.

In short: lubuntu is almost usable. Graphics is sluggish (as expected?); as you move xterm across the screen you actually see a series of rectangles and it takes a few seconds for the DE to clean it up. Once you're inside the xterm then the system seems fairly responsive. I was able to apt-get install latex and libreoffice (!) and both work. Curiously scp does not work (ssh does) and I didn't spend much time investigating scp. I can't install dropbox.

I set the resolution of the VNC viewer to be 2560x1500 (leaving room for the android buttons). That was a mistake; menu/window frames/scroll bars etc are TINY. I should have used a smaller resolution and then pinch-zoom. Suggestion for developer: Make everything bigger.

I've got a Debian chroot running on mine until we get a proper dual-boot solution using a slightly modified from of this script: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1328742

Running LXDE, its definitely usable for text heavy stuff like office. While the visuals would be a little muddy, I'd recommend running at 1280x752. That's a perfect fit while leaving room for the buttons, and things are large enough that you could realistically use it. If you wanted to run at full res, use 2560x1504.

If you're using a bluetooth mouse with yours, I highly recommend using Jump Desktop as your VNC viewer. Its the only one I know of that supports right clicks. The only drawback is you cant run it at full resolution unless you lower the color depth, it crashes immediately otherwise.