[Q] Slow native tethering speeds (T-MOBILE $30 5GB PLAN)

Search This thread

daviddcaoo

Jun 24, 2014
This issue hasn't bothered me too much until recently but is there a specific issue that I'm getting such slow speeds when I tether? On USB to my computer my max is 200kbs and when I use it as a hotspot, the max is 10kbs. I have pretty good LTE reception and amazing HSPA+ reception in my house. I've tried tethering with just 3G as well and still about the same. Is this due to the native tethering app that the Android system gives? Should I use something like Foxfi or something like that to see much more improvements? Without tethering, my data speeds are off the roof. Anyone with a solution to this?

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
i have no issue like that(unlimited high speed data plan). try playing with some settings or give tmo a call. on lte, and i always wirelessly tether, i see nearly the same as my data speeds, 30-50mbps download speeds while tethering.

schwab002

Oct 24, 2011
How are you tethering in the first place? I thought T-Mobile only allowed tethering if you bought an extra plan?

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
How are you tethering in the first place? I thought T-Mobile only allowed tethering if you bought an extra plan?

no, all their simple choice plans include tethering. they are all unlimited tether except the unlimited high speed data plan, it comes witb 5gb tethering and is $80. im on an earlier version, i pay $70 for the same plan, but get only 3gb tethering :)

oh, its unlimited on all the smaller high speed simple choice plans because their speeds get reduced when they reach their limit. its limited on the completely unlimited high speed plan because we would all use it for our total home internet.

14%2B-%2B1

14%2B-%2B1

Last edited:

daviddcaoo

Jun 24, 2014
I used the "tether_dun_required" method to tether using my plan. I actually don't have subscription to T-mobile tethering. It's the prepaid plan, not the simple choice one. Is that the issue then?