Wood Cases?

Search This thread

Zurginator

Sep 8, 2010
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 5
Unfortunately all iphones (mostly useless post) these look nice, if only for our phone.

http://www.ewoodcases.com/products.html

For anyone wanting to try and mod a case to fit.
Samsung sgs2 Wooden case's

Our phone is quite significantly larger than the S2, so it's impossible to mod.

Anyways, I'm looking into building still, got all the dimensions worked out and stuff. I'll probably build from balsa, due to the lack of any real tools on my end. I'll be carving it by hand.

After measuring out though, I got the idea to remove the plastic casing from the phone.... and build an entirely new shell instead. Thoughts?

Edit: looks like I might actually be able to do this, and layer up a balsa shell replacement. Main catch is the antennae and speaker are mounted to the plastic, with seemingly no way to remove them without destroying said plastic.

....anyone care to donate a shell, for science? :D

EditEdit: Since these will be hand-made, I can put some variation into each, depending on what is wanted. For instance, removing the SD card reader gains me an extra 1.5-2mm in order to make it thinner. When combined with a SGS (1) battery, I can shave close to 2mm off the original case thickness.

Last edited:

HotelZambia

Jul 4, 2010
You've somehow managed to pick the one type of wood I'd be least comfortable wrapping my phone in, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. I'm looking forward to seeing a finalized product though! Should be a beauty.

Zurginator

Sep 8, 2010
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 5
You've somehow managed to pick the one type of wood I'd be least comfortable wrapping my phone in, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. I'm looking forward to seeing a finalized product though! Should be a beauty.

Yeah, it's an unfortunate side-effect of having no real tools to work with.

However, any kind of wood really won't hold up well to a drop at all. Balsa will at least have some give... but no matter what a single drop is going to ruin a wood case.

proxy0

Apr 8, 2012
Yeah, it's an unfortunate side-effect of having no real tools to work with.

However, any kind of wood really won't hold up well to a drop at all. Balsa will at least have some give... but no matter what a single drop is going to ruin a wood case.

Yeah, I don't really do intense work with my phone.

This should be interesting. I'm excited to see how it turns out. How much would you charge for one?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Zurginator

Sep 8, 2010
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 5
Yeah, I don't really do intense work with my phone.

This should be interesting. I'm excited to see how it turns out. How much would you charge for one?

Depends on how long it takes me to build. ATM I haven't started (other than measuring and building 3D mock-ups), because I've been REALLY busy at work. Next week I should have some free time, so we'll see what happens. No promises though.

modifidious

Oct 15, 2009
DUUUUVAAAALLL
I just contacted the seller of seemingly quality snap-on, hard wood covers for D710s on ebay. They have only been selling the same dark oak color for a few weeks (not my fav), but I know I once saw they had a lighter oak or some other wood case a while back. Anyways, I will keep everyone here posted once the seller responds.

Update: N/m...reading fine print...hard "rubberized" case :/ "Epic" fail?
Zurginator: for about $10 it would be a nice template for your project plus it also has a front face snap-on piece

Last edited:

geolemon

Dec 10, 2010
All I can offer comment on is the skin.

I hate cases, I don't drop my phone (butterfingers), but I want to protect it from scratches, because all the in and out of the pocket, handling, placing on surfaces leads to those really unclassy looking micro surface scratches that just make the phone look beat up, and that's if you don't end up with a few nicks, dings, or deeper scratches.
So I think the skins are pretty good, they do offer protection except for drop protection.

I ordered two Skinomi skins - the black carbon fiber look, and the dark wood look.
I installed the carbon fiber skin about when the phone came out - maybe a week later - and it's still looking good. Both came with a screen protector, it's pretty decent also.

The wood grain one looks nice, although I haven't installed it, it's exactly the same as the carbon fiber one except for the wood look. The carbon one looks really classy - black on a black phone, and tight, it doesn't look like a case.

Also, on the plus side - if you DO like cases, but not maybe all the time, this fits nicely inside a TPU case with the skin on. So you could go the best of both worlds.

And I have to say, my matte black TPU case (which I rarely have on, but still) looks really above average, it fits the phone so tightly it itself doesn't really look like a case, which is a plus in my book - and definitely a plus if you are looking for classy, as opposed to playskool colors with skulls, flames, or contrived lines and swooshes that say "I'm in a case! I'm in a case!"
Just not my style.

I highly recommend the Skinomi skin if you wanted to give that a chance though, really amazed how well it's stayed on my phone. Still looks perfect.

tony_rome

May 4, 2012
Genuine Wood Cases for Samsung Galaxy SII

My company is currently negotiating the purchase of real wood cases for the Samsung Galaxy SII (and possibly for the SIII, too). These cases are handmade, genuine wood and completely surround the phone (not the open top and bottom style, as with many of the plastic, wood-effect cases you see advertised).

The cases will, initially, be available in either beige (light) or brown (dark) finishes, in very limited numbers. If there's enough demand, I'll look into the expansion of supply. I'll update here with images and prices, once these are confirmed.

nerys71

May 13, 2008
how much are you looking at selling them for? if its affordable enough I would want one of each !

Everyday Legend

May 1, 2012
This Beach, Florida
I would think wood would be kind of counter-productive - porous surfaces aren't good choices for heat dissipation and airflow, and this phone can get hot when put through paces.

Not saying it would become a charcoal case, but you never know.

tony_rome

May 4, 2012
Genuine Wood Cases for Samsung Galaxy SII

OK, apologies for the delay but I now have a small quantity of the wooden cases available. They are finished in either Maple or Dark Walnut and I am offering them here on the xdadevelopers site first, at £19 per case, including shipping to Germany or the UK. Shipping is possible to other locations, at cost (signed-for).

I have been using a Maple one for a week, whilst I've been on the road and have been very pleased with it so far. For those who would like to try them, I'd be interested to hear some feedback since, depending on the interest, it may be possible to obtain more stock and also similar cases for the new Galaxy SIII.

View the cases at anokhi(dot)co(dot)uk/offers/cases(dot)htm

Reactions: modifidious

modifidious

Oct 15, 2009
DUUUUVAAAALLL
Different design?

OK, apologies for the delay but I now have a small quantity of the wooden cases available. They are finished in either Maple or Dark Walnut and I am offering them here on the xdadevelopers site first, at £19 per case, including shipping to Germany or the UK. Shipping is possible to other locations, at cost (signed-for).

I have been using a Maple one for a week, whilst I've been on the road and have been very pleased with it so far. For those who would like to try them, I'd be interested to hear some feedback since, depending on the interest, it may be possible to obtain more stock and also similar cases for the new Galaxy SIII.

View the cases at anokhi(dot)co(dot)uk/offers/cases(dot)htm

Just visited the site and it looks like the cases aren't design completely for the D710 model. In the pictures provided, the camera is shown as being a square frame, not ovular. Also, it looks like the opening for the speaker in the back is on the left, not the right (if your phone is facing you).. Beautiful cases, don't get me wrong....but are they really for the Sprint version for D710? Because I've been jonesin' for these on this thread for a hot minute :D

proxy0

Apr 8, 2012
Yeah those are nice but aren't for the epic 4g touch (sprint d710). Damn I really like those too.

Top Liked Posts