[Q] Rooted S4 (Verizon) no Nandroid backup / restore option in recovery

Search This thread
Sep 22, 2012
Hi Guys, and thank you in advance for reading this post, I have looked in several places and cannot find a solution. When I boot into recovery, there is no option to backup and restore, I am rooted on Stock Android 4.2.2. Baseband: VRUAMDK. I tried switching out SD cards from my extFAT 64GB card to a FAT32 GB card, no go, I am also running into the same exact issue on my galaxy note 8.0. If anyone could help me out I would highly appreciate it! Thank you in advance! I really want to try a different ROM but want to perform a nandroid backup just in case. Thanks!

wtherrell

Dec 30, 2008
Hi Guys, and thank you in advance for reading this post, I have looked in several places and cannot find a solution. When I boot into recovery, there is no option to backup and restore, I am rooted on Stock Android 4.2.2. Baseband: VRUAMDK. I tried switching out SD cards from my extFAT 64GB card to a FAT32 GB card, no go, I am also running into the same exact issue on my galaxy note 8.0. If anyone could help me out I would highly appreciate it! Thank you in advance! I really want to try a different ROM but want to perform a nandroid backup just in case. Thanks!

Which custom recovery are you running?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DroidForPresident
Sep 22, 2012
I downloaded ROM manager because I was under the assumption that I was running CWM. I'm still a newbie so please excuse my ignorance. I did root using Odin.

sulla65

Feb 11, 2012

Did you install a custom recovery? Stock recovery doesn't allow you to make nandroid backups or flash roms via recovery. If rooted you could try latest installing recovery via Rom manager. Or flash a custom recovery via odin.

Reactions: DroidForPresident
Sep 22, 2012
Did you install a custom recovery? Stock recovery doesn't allow you to make nandroid backups or flash roms via recovery. If rooted you could try latest installing recovery via Rom manager. Or flash a custom recovery via odin.

Thanks for the response, I tried installing CWM via rom manager but it doesn't seem to be working at all, tried several times and nothing, how can I install via Odin? I cannot find instructions on doing this for the Verizon Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545) I still have not accepted the OTA update from Verizon so I am still fully rooted and running stock android version 4.2.2

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2012
TWRP seems to be the go to recovery for the S4 on Verizon

I think I finally have it, and contrary of what I read it seems to be working on my 64GB exFAT SD card. I will let you know shortly if it backed everything up

The problem was CWM wouldn't install so I went here teamw.in/project/twrp2/181 and just downloaded GooManager and read their instructions: Tap menu then hit Install OpenRecoveryScript. Tap Yes. Verify that the filename displays your device's code name and hit Yes. The file will download and your device will install the recovery automatically.

I then booted into recovery and BAM! there was the backup option, I have 10GB to backup so I needed it to backup on my SD card, thought it would be a problem since I read that it wasn't possible to perform a nandroid backup on a 64GB SD formatted as exFAT but it seems to be working, will update once complete, it might take a while to backup all that data

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Which custom recovery are you running?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk