Can't write to extsd??? **FIXED**

Search This thread

GorillaPimp

Jul 18, 2008
Ahhh I see. I thought it was all apps, not just ones without root access.

Edit: Shouldn't be saving Snapchat pictures anyway.
ojicu1.png

My root apps won't do it either on stock rooted.

Im more interested in the potential security risk of opening this back up. Who was exploiting this previously to do damage?

1967ls2

Jun 17, 2010
Stock rooted Verizon s5. I'm trying this with root explorer but for the life of me root explorer won't let me do anything. I can't edit or modify anything. Not sure what's going on here. Any insight is appreciated!

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
Stock rooted Verizon s5. I'm trying this with root explorer but for the life of me root explorer won't let me do anything. I can't edit or modify anything. Not sure what's going on here. Any insight is appreciated!
Did you switch it to r/w instead of r/o? There is a little button at the top. Long press the file and choose text editor?

Xalky

Jun 17, 2011
Thanks for starting this thread! I was getting real frustrated just trying to get titanium to make a backup.

I was like, "what the hell,....Why cant I write to the fu@#*n folder. I love this place. The sd fix app worked for me. KitKat has gor some real "control issues" They're making it harder and harder to mess with our phones. :rolleyes:

budies3

Sep 22, 2009
Seattle
Nice:)

Am I the only one that has been able to write to the external SD card with Root Explorer from day one with no mods?

Must be nice, I have tried (I think) all the "Fixes" out... But I'm still unable to move files to the card. Well, that's not completely true.... I have moved 2 files at 2 different times. It happened after I tried 1 after another, and after that 1 move it would do it again....lol

SEAbeliever

Jan 2, 2012
Help!

OK, so I've followed the instructions and downloaded JRummy's SDFix - says that it is changed, but it still doesn't work. Then I edited the platform.xml file manually with the space, and it allowed me to copy a couple of test pictures to a folder on the SD card, but then I opened the folder where I just copied the files again, and they have vanished.

I am really lost on this one. Normally I don't have such a problem with anything tech related, but this issue is really throwing me for some loops. This is the most frustrated I've ever been with customizing any device. Any advice? I really need to be able to use my SD card! :mad::confused:

I'm on jrkruse's BOC4 build of Lollipop 5.0 if that's any help.

autotech40

Jun 29, 2014
OK, so I've followed the instructions and downloaded JRummy's SDFix - says that it is changed, but it still doesn't work. Then I edited the platform.xml file manually with the space, and it allowed me to copy a couple of test pictures to a folder on the SD card, but then I opened the folder where I just copied the files again, and they have vanished.

I am really lost on this one. Normally I don't have such a problem with anything tech related, but this issue is really throwing me for some loops. This is the most frustrated I've ever been with customizing any device. Any advice? I really need to be able to use my SD card! :mad::confused:

I'm on jrkruse's BOC4 build of Lollipop 5.0 if that's any help.

I had to format my sdcard after applying the sdfix,not sure why but everything works.

if i have helped in any way,please hit the thanks button.

whbisondtr

Jun 20, 2012
I just bought my s5, it has lollipop already on it and it wont write to sdcard. Wasnt this fixed on 5.0 and dobi need to root to fix it?

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
I just bought my s5, it has lollipop already on it and it wont write to sdcard. Wasnt this fixed on 5.0 and dobi need to root to fix it?

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app
It wasn't fixed because Google doesn't see that as a broken function, unfortunately. As far as I know, you need to be rooted. There is an app called SDfix (or something like that), not sure if root is needed or not.

Reactions: whbisondtr

Rakuu

Jun 16, 2014
Houston
It wasn't fixed because Google doesn't see that as a broken function, unfortunately. As far as I know, you need to be rooted. There is an app called SDfix (or something like that), not sure if root is needed or not.
You can do it without root but the app needs to request it.

Sent from my Tw5ted SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: whbisondtr

itbedave

Oct 29, 2010
Monroe, Ohio
FWIW - I just did this using the SDFix app on my stock rooted S5 and it works. The KEY here is to REBOOT YOUR DEVICE after using the SDFix app!

After I ran the app and checked Titanium Backup again to see if I could write to SD, it still said the folder was not writeable. So I downloaded Root Explorer and tried to do it the manual way, but found the xml file was properly changed - which was curious. So why wasn't it working?

That's when I decided to reboot.

After rebooting, all works now as expected! Hope this helps someone!:good:

Reactions: Robalboa

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK so as you have noticed kit kat does NOT allow third party apps to write to the SD card, this is stupid, but lucky for us we have a fix IF you are rooted

we have 2 solutions

1) using root explorer or something similar go to

/system/etc/permissions/platform.xml
    and enter the permission that i have circled in red below (see attached) then it will work. Enter it so it looks EXACTALLY like it does below

2) the other option that MAY work is to go to the play store and download SDFix, that does the same thing (however myself and a few others are reporting that it isnt working as it is written)

big thanks to Mr Sam Epic for showing the fix, which came from Unknown Force in a SGS4 forum

****edit 4/19

had a few reports of SDFix not working, it didnt for me, i thought it was just a random error, what i did to fix it was to go into platform.xml and manually edit the permission so it looks exactally like the image below, i put in the extra return after the permission, there is not a logical reason why this fixed it, but it did
    so i popped the micro SD out of my GS4 and put it in the GS5 but now TiBu is saying that it cant write to the external SD card.... any thoughts.... this phone is starting to piss me off, lol

There is an App called "SDFix: Kitkat write to SD" in play store. Fixes Kitkat write to SD issue from new OS for external SD.
    Yep. It's a kit kat issue. They killed third party apps being able to access the SD card

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Can anyone confirm that using the SD Card fix app, then deleting the app, if the fix still works??

id like to know too

Confirmed, I uninstalled and I can still write to card, and NO I didn't have to reformat, very easy run the app it is fixed in seconds
    Here's a screenshot of what needs to be done to fix this issue, if the phone is rooted and you're using an app like root explorer. You need to put in the exact rule that's circled, save, exit and reboot. Credit goes to unknown force in a SGS4 forum.

Sent using my SGS5 w/Ttalk 2