[Guide] Partition your Sd Card, Upgrade to Ext3, and Install Apps2SD

Search This thread

nephron

May 25, 2009
WARNING: DO NOT FOLLOW THE APPS2SD AS MOST ROMS ALREADY DO THIS FOR YOU.
If you do, it will break things.
-ivanmmj

Like My Guide(s)? Donate

Here we go!

Things you need:

A Rooted G1 Phone
Cyanogen ROM - Download v4.0.2
Cyanogen Recovery 1.4 - Download
Apps2SD - Download
Clean SD Card

Note: This will remove ALL files on your SD Card so please back it up :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install the New Recovery Image

Download the recovery image

Place the cm-recovery-1.3.1.img file in the root of your SD Card (Root = not in any folder)

Go back to your phone (Dont forget to unmount)

Open terminal and type in the following

Code:
su (wait for a screen to popup and press "allow")
flash_image recovery /sdcard/cm-recovery-1.3.1.img
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install Apps2SD

Download the Apps2sd apk from above
Place the apps2sd.apk on your sd card
Download a file manager like Linda or Astro from Market (They are both free)
Go to Settings > Applications and check the Unknown Sources button
Open up the file manager you just downloaded and find the apps2sd on your sdcard
Press on the app and install the Package Installer and press on Install
Apps2sd should now be installed

Partition Fat32/Ext2 with App2SD

Open up Apps2SD
It will show you a screen telling you that your card is not partition and you will have a sliding bar to choose the amount of space you want for an EXT2 partition
I suggest a max of 600mb for EXT2 space (I use 500mb)
Press Ok
You will get a Force Close screen DONT PRESS FORCE CLOSE PRESS WAIT
You will get a reboot message, Press Reboot
You now have a EXT2 partition

Upgrading your EXT2 Partition to EXT3

Note: You do need the Cyanogen Recovery image for this to work!

Reboot into Recovery (Home + Power)
Go to console (Alt+x)
Press Enter
Type the following in the Console:
Code:
upgrade_fs
Wait for it to finish
Congrats! You now have a Fat32/EXT3 partitioned Sd Card!

Installing the Cyanogen ROM with Auto Apps2SD

Download the ROM
Rename the file from cm-xxxxxxx.zip to update.zip
Place update.zip at the root of your sd card (Root = Not in any folder)
Wipe (alt+w)
and Flash (alt+s)
Wait for it to finish and reboot!

Congratulations! You now have a Fat32/EXT3 Partitioned SD Card with auto Apps2SD enabled. You can check if you have both partitions in Settings > Sd Card and Storage. Remember, this is Auto Apps2SD, that means the everytime you reboot it will move all your installed apps to your sd card AUTOMATICALLY!

Format your EXT3 Partition (ADB is needed)
Code:
adb remount
adb shell
rm -r /system/sd/*
reboot recovery
then flash the update.

Here is another way to partition your sd card!

Note: You will need The latest CM recovery image

This guide will partition your SD card with 32 mb swap, and 512 mb EXT4 partitions!

WARNING! This will erase EVERYTHING on your SD Card!

Note: ADB Is needed for this script to work. If you dont have ADb working please read the ADB Sticky in the Q & A Forum

Step 1:

Download the necessary files HERE

Step 2:

Place the sdparted.sh file in C:\ Note: Do not place it in any folders!

Place adb.exe and AdbWinApi.dll in C:\Windows\system32

Step 3:

Run sdparted.bat

Thats it! All done!

Thank you 51dusty for the sdparted Script! :D
Batch file made by me! :D

Last edited:

nephron

May 25, 2009
ya i know i saw that guide. I decided to put this one up becuase it uses minimal commands and doesnt involve a lot of terminal usage and stuff. Just another way to partition i guess. :D

lazee_smurf

Oct 28, 2008
Ok I looked in settings and storage. This is what I have....sd card total 6,501mb available space 5,813mb sdcard secondary 1,048mb available space 829mb but for internal space it's showing 86mb. Did I do this process right? Is my internal space suppose to have much more space? When I download something it takes away the internal memory.

nephron

May 25, 2009
Ok I looked in settings and storage. This is what I have....sd card total 6,501mb available space 5,813mb sdcard secondary 1,048mb available space 829mb but for internal space it's showing 86mb. Did I do this process right? Is my internal space suppose to have much more space? When I download something it takes away the internal memory.

yup! you are all good! 86mb for a cupcake rom is perfect! Congrats! :D

lazee_smurf

Oct 28, 2008
So what goes into the secondary storage because if I download something the internal space gets used

Karmazara

Jul 10, 2009
Lake Forest
Greetings
I knew it all could'nt go as smoothly as the new rom install ^_^

When I try to run apps2sd wether out of astro or from the app panel, it goes to a black screen, and thats it. The phone is not locked, I just hit home (after waiting for minutes for something to happen) and I'm back at my home screen.
I did'nt think I skipped any steps. Idea's ?

pistol4413

May 28, 2009
Philadelphia
ext3 slowed my g1 down

I jus upgraded my partition using this guide and my fone seems WAY SLOWER. Is there anyway to downgrade safely back to ext2 without wiping the partion clean? Or do u recomed an app I already have an overclock app.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I am lost. I have the newer SPL and JF 1.51 adp. Why all of these steps for apps2sd?

Should it not be:?

1. Format card using a partition program and create ext3 / FAT partitions
2. Install newest Cy rom
3. It automatically moves the apps when it sees the ext3 related parameters.

Why all of the steps in this thread? Am I missing more brain than I normally do?

Why would I need the 1.3.1 recovery rom? Are all of these steps if you do not already have a JF rom?

Thanks!

nephron

May 25, 2009
I am lost. I have the newer SPL and JF 1.51 adp. Why all of these steps for apps2sd?

Should it not be:?

1. Format card using a partition program and create ext3 / FAT partitions
2. Install newest Cy rom
3. It automatically moves the apps when it sees the ext3 related parameters.

Why all of the steps in this thread? Am I missing more brain than I normally do?

Why would I need the 1.3.1 recovery rom? Are all of these steps if you do not already have a JF rom?

Thanks!

Apps2SD2 detects if your card has been formated with an ext2 partition. If not it will format your sd card for you therefor not needing a computer program. The new reocvery 1.3.1 allows you to run the upgrade_fs command to format the ext2 to ext3 and also has other features such as gparted and fix ext filesystem.

kidnoble

Jun 25, 2009
my question is this...I already have cyanogen's rom installed...I have been away from a computer and the internet for about a week so I'm still on 3.6.5...which is fine with me.

In Cyan's thread, he says:

DO NOT RUN ANY OTHER APPS2SD APPLICATIONS ON THIS BUILD. YOU WILL BREAK YOUR SYSTEM. THEY ARE NOT NECESSARY BECAUSE THIS ROM WILL DO A2SD AUTOMATICALLY AND BETTER!

however one of the steps to partitioning the sd card in this post is installing apps2sd..

i want to partition the card...but I don't want to break my system...am I missing something? clarification please?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: DO NOT FOLLOW THE APPS2SD AS MOST ROMS ALREADY DO THIS FOR YOU.
    If you do, it will break things.
    -ivanmmj

Like My Guide(s)? Donate

Here we go!

Things you need:

A Rooted G1 Phone
    Cyanogen ROM - Download v4.0.2
    Cyanogen Recovery 1.4 - Download
    Apps2SD - Download
    Clean SD Card

Note: This will remove ALL files on your SD Card so please back it up :D

Install the New Recovery Image

Download the recovery image

Place the cm-recovery-1.3.1.img file in the root of your SD Card (Root = not in any folder)

Go back to your phone (Dont forget to unmount)

Open terminal and type in the following

Code:
    su (wait for a screen to popup and press "allow")
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/cm-recovery-1.3.1.img

Install Apps2SD

Download the Apps2sd apk from above
    Place the apps2sd.apk on your sd card
    Download a file manager like Linda or Astro from Market (They are both free)
    Go to Settings > Applications and check the Unknown Sources button
    Open up the file manager you just downloaded and find the apps2sd on your sdcard
    Press on the app and install the Package Installer and press on Install
    Apps2sd should now be installed

Partition Fat32/Ext2 with App2SD

Open up Apps2SD
    It will show you a screen telling you that your card is not partition and you will have a sliding bar to choose the amount of space you want for an EXT2 partition
    I suggest a max of 600mb for EXT2 space (I use 500mb)
    Press Ok
    You will get a Force Close screen DONT PRESS FORCE CLOSE PRESS WAIT
    You will get a reboot message, Press Reboot
    You now have a EXT2 partition

Upgrading your EXT2 Partition to EXT3

Note: You do need the Cyanogen Recovery image for this to work!

Go to console (Alt+x)
    Press Enter
    Type the following in the Console:
    Code:
    upgrade_fs
    Wait for it to finish
    Congrats! You now have a Fat32/EXT3 partitioned Sd Card!

Installing the Cyanogen ROM with Auto Apps2SD

Download the ROM
    Rename the file from cm-xxxxxxx.zip to update.zip
    Place update.zip at the root of your sd card (Root = Not in any folder)
    Wipe (alt+w)
    and Flash (alt+s)
    Wait for it to finish and reboot!

Congratulations! You now have a Fat32/EXT3 Partitioned SD Card with auto Apps2SD enabled. You can check if you have both partitions in Settings > Sd Card and Storage. Remember, this is Auto Apps2SD, that means the everytime you reboot it will move all your installed apps to your sd card AUTOMATICALLY!

Format your EXT3 Partition (ADB is needed)
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell
    rm -r /system/sd/*
    reboot recovery
    then flash the update.

Here is another way to partition your sd card!

Note: You will need The latest CM recovery image

This guide will partition your SD card with 32 mb swap, and 512 mb EXT4 partitions!

WARNING! This will erase EVERYTHING on your SD Card!

Note: ADB Is needed for this script to work. If you dont have ADb working please read the ADB Sticky in the Q & A Forum

Step 1:

Download the necessary files HERE

Step 2:

Place the sdparted.sh file in C:\ Note: Do not place it in any folders!

Place adb.exe and AdbWinApi.dll in C:\Windows\system32

Step 3:

Run sdparted.bat

Thats it! All done!

Thank you 51dusty for the sdparted Script! :D
    Batch file made by me! :D