[NEWS] Hermes kernel 1413 is a FAKE!

Search This thread

Shadowmite

Aug 22, 2005
www.shadowmite.com
A group of us at #xda-devs on freenode started looking at the crackberry hex edit's to the kernel to make bbconnect work, and in the process noticed some strangeness in the disassembly. It appears the 1413 hermes kernel going around is in fact nothing more than build 1236. We have proven this now in assembly, the getversion function returns the value of 1236, not 1413. We are currently unsure how or where the patch occurs to visually show the faked version ID.

Midget's rom on the universal however, is truely 1413, with the same test his rom passed the correct version back.

Figured someone might like this update...

Midgets: MOVL R3, 0x585
Hermes: MOVL R3, 0x4D4

585 = 1413 decimal
4D4 = 1236 decimal

Last edited:

peezy

Apr 18, 2007
Los Angeles
Would someone please elaborate on these implications? Does this mean that any ROM advertised in the Hermes section as CE 5.2.1413 actually is not?

Shadowmite

Aug 22, 2005
www.shadowmite.com
Correct, 1413 does not exist for the hermes, although it's completely possible for a hybrid kernel to exist, but I for one would not think that to be very "stable". That's not to say a future kernel couldn't be legit, but if you want to be sure, drop by the irc chat and we'll help you pull apart a rom to see what it's made out of!

Midget_1990

Retired Moderator
Mar 4, 2006
Worthing
its really 1236 edited to 1413

similar to when that chick you've been hitting on turns out to ahve a c*ck, only not quite as bad :)

CUSTEL

Mar 10, 2007
its really 1236 edited to 1413

similar to when that chick you've been hitting on turns out to ahve a c*ck, only not quite as bad :)

lmao....

will be updating my kernel tonight, nice find guys, glad I had you help with the bbconnect shadow otherwise it wouldve gone unnoticed.

faria

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Correct, 1413 does not exist for the hermes, although it's completely possible for a hybrid kernel to exist, but I for one would not think that to be very "stable". That's not to say a future kernel couldn't be legit, but if you want to be sure, drop by the irc chat and we'll help you pull apart a rom to see what it's made out of!
if you talking about CE OS 5.2.1413 then you are incorrect....there is such rom native to the hermes.

regards....

Last edited:

Shadowmite

Aug 22, 2005
www.shadowmite.com
I didn't say it doesn't exist, only that we have not seen it yet, the ones we have appear to all be the fake.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I did say that, but I later said it's highly possibly a future rom could be legit at that level... :D

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Interesting.... Whatever the case, the current hermes WM6 build, v17913.0.3.0 has massive improvements on almost every front. Whether the kernel is patched to 5.2.1413 or not is irrelevant to this IMO. I'll leave my own ROM alone.

faria

I didn't say it doesn't exist, only that we have not seen it yet, the ones we have appear to all be the fake.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I did say that, but I later said it's highly possibly a future rom could be legit at that level... :D
no problem ..eheh...

But please note that sometimes a cook changes such info for genuine reasons.

due to this kind of investigation some cooks may have to delay their releases for months or even not even release it till the rom becomes official...but by then who wants the cooked one when you can have the official one...i wonder what will be the consequences of posting such info....just an observation...
xda is becoming to smart for its own good.

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
I wonder if this was necessary to graft on the WM6 update...

All I can say is that the lvsw derivative I'm running is the most stable, fast and improved OS I've ever used on my TyTN. I can't even begin to list the improvements over the last build....

Shadowmite

Aug 22, 2005
www.shadowmite.com
I'm certainly not saying anything about the rest of the OS build, my terminology might be misinterpreted by how new I am here. We only proved that the kernel is faked, and the coverup is not done at the kernel level. The kernel reports itself as 1236 just as it should.

I'll agree, lvsw's kernel (used in custel 2.5 also) is incredible...

faria

I wonder if this was necessary to graft on the WM6 update...

All I can say is that the lvsw derivative I'm running is the most stable, fast and improved OS I've ever used on my TyTN. I can't even begin to list the improvements over the last build....
in this case all credit should go to the rom cook:)

CUSTEL

Mar 10, 2007
no problem ..eheh...

But please note that sometimes a cook changes such info for genuine reasons.

due to this kind of investigation some cooks may have to delay their releases for months or even not even release it till the rom becomes official...but by then who wants the cooked one when you can have the official one...i wonder what will be the consequences of posting such info....just an observation...
xda is becoming to smart for its own good.
so releasing false versions is acceptable?

vp3G

Mar 5, 2007
Flyover Country
I don't give a rat's ass considering it often ends up hex edited to support Crackberry, etc. anyway. An improvement is an improvement, no matter what the version says.

Now back to cooking, everyone! :D