[ROM] JB-SlateROM, a custom ROM for the HP Slate 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jerbear294

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Disclaimer: I am NOT responsible for any damage you do to your device.

Slate 7 Plus 4200 owners, I have a version of this ROM for you guys as well. You can find it here.

This is JB-SlateROM, a customized and debloated ROM for the HP Slate 7! This was designed for the 2800 but might work on the 4600 as I haven't tested since I don't have a Slate 7.

EDIT: Confirmed working on the 2800!

EDIT: NOT working of the 4600/4601. I'll recook the ROM for you guys when time permits.

Before you can install this ROM you need CWM on your device. Go here to get a build of ClockWorkMod v6.0.3.3.

FEATURES
Bloatware removed! :victory:
If the bloatware is still there, go to Settings, then Apps. Find the app and hit Disable Updates. That will delete the bloatware permanently. If it's still there after that I did not remove it. Tell me what you want removed in that case.
Original launcher has been hidden (saved as an .apk-hide file) in favor of Apex Launcher.
ES File Explorer added.
GravityBox Xposed module added.
App Settings Xposed module added.
Quick Boot added.
Xposed Installer added. (Not activated by default! Go into the installer, hit Framework, then hit Install/Update, then hit Soft Reboot or Reboot!)

Download

Last edited:

jerbear294

Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Changelog
v2.0 - Coming Soon :D Complete redo. More bloatware removed and tweaked a few more things... (AKA the "If an android crashes and nobody is around to logcat, can it still be fixed?" Update)
v1.1 - Removed references to ePrint.kpa (UNRELEASED)
v1.0 - Initial release.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

callidus_ex_de_latebros

Feb 4, 2014
Hi, I just tried to install this ROM (on Slate 7 4601), but in CWM, I get the 'Status 7' error.
before this, I see the line 'set_perm: some changes failed'. If that helps, I don't know?

Thanks.

jerbear294

Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Hi, I just tried to install this ROM (on Slate 7 4601), but in CWM, I get the 'Status 7' error.
before this, I see the line 'set_perm: some changes failed'. If that helps, I don't know?

Thanks.

The ROM must not be compatible with the 460x as I know it works fine with the 280x. I'll do a port of this with the 460x ROM and add it to the OP by next weekend at worst.

Reactions: jrc2

dderek

Jan 23, 2006
Lublin
Hi. Same Error 7 here on my Slate 7 2800. Formatting all partitions before install doesn't change anything ..

jerbear294

Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Hi. Same Error 7 here on my Slate 7 2800. Formatting all partitions before install doesn't change anything ..

Which country is your Slate from? Status 7 means incompatible with device.
If you're really adventurous do a Nandroid then toggle signature verification then flash the ROM. Theoretically everything will work, but Nandroid just in case :)

Last edited:

dderek

Jan 23, 2006
Lublin
Thank you for your reply.
My Slate is from Polish distribution channel. It's P/N is E0H92AA.

Signature verification is by default switched off in CWM. Looking at the detailed installation log I can see these lines before the Error 7 is reported:

minizip: Extracted file "/system/xbin/iwpriv"
minizip: Extracted file "/system/xbin/iwspy"
minizip: Extracted file "/system/xbin/su"
set_perm: chown of /system/vendor/app/ePrint.kpa to 0 0 failed: No such file or directory
set_perm: chown of /system/vendor/app/ePrint.kpa to 644 failed: No such file or directory
script aborted: set_perm: some changes failed
E:Error in /external_sd/_/JB-SlateROM.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

EDIT: adding original file /system/vendor/app/ePrint.kpa to your ROM allowed to install it within CWM 6.0.3.3.
But after reboot the device is now stuck at the HP logo :(

EDIT2: Suspecting the device incompatibility I have tested that the original firmware (taken from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2608181 ) runs without problems

Last edited:

jerbear294

Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Thank you for your reply.
My Slate is from Polish distribution channel. It's P/N is E0H92AA.

Signature verification is by default switched off in CWM. Looking at the detailed installation log I can see these lines before the Error 7 is reported:

minizip: Extracted file "/system/xbin/iwpriv"
minizip: Extracted file "/system/xbin/iwspy"
minizip: Extracted file "/system/xbin/su"
set_perm: chown of /system/vendor/app/ePrint.kpa to 0 0 failed: No such file or directory
set_perm: chown of /system/vendor/app/ePrint.kpa to 644 failed: No such file or directory
script aborted: set_perm: some changes failed
E:Error in /external_sd/_/JB-SlateROM.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

EDIT: adding original file /system/vendor/app/ePrint.kpa to your ROM allowed to install it within CWM 6.0.3.3.
But after reboot the device is now stuck at the HP logo :(

EDIT2: Suspecting the device incompatibility I have tested that the original firmware (taken from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2608181 ) runs without problems

It's because I removed bloatware and forgot to remove the references in the updater-script. Sorry about that, I'm VERY new to developing. :(
You should expect a updated ROM very soon. Probably tomorrow worst-case scenario.

blackshard83

May 20, 2013
Mmmh I tried to install your ROM but I got the same Error 7.
Then I proceeded to remove any reference into META-INF subfolders about ePrint.apk package and finally CWM installed it without hassle.

Nonetheless I got a stuck boot logo. I left it 5 minutes, but had no success, now I'm going back to my rooted 1.05.14 stock firmware.

I noticed a pair of things that may be useful to report:

- In /recovery folder there's a patch for the recovery. It may be useful to inhibit such patch, I added an exit 0 in /recovery/etc/install-recovery.sh just to be safe
- When you use CWM to do a factory reset (wipe data/factory reset), it doesn't wipe /system partition. You have to manually go in backup/restore -> format /system. Then you should wipe cache, maybe dalvik cache, and finally install the zip package.

jerbear294

Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Mmmh I tried to install your ROM but I got the same Error 7.
Then I proceeded to remove any reference into META-INF subfolders about ePrint.apk package and finally CWM installed it without hassle.

Nonetheless I got a stuck boot logo. I left it 5 minutes, but had no success, now I'm going back to my rooted 1.05.14 stock firmware.

I noticed a pair of things that may be useful to report:

- In /recovery folder there's a patch for the recovery. It may be useful to inhibit such patch, I added an exit 0 in /recovery/etc/install-recovery.sh just to be safe
- When you use CWM to do a factory reset (wipe data/factory reset), it doesn't wipe /system partition. You have to manually go in backup/restore -> format /system. Then you should wipe cache, maybe dalvik cache, and finally install the zip package.

Is this a bootloop or stuck at bootloader?

jerbear294

Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Sorry for the hiatus- other devices were taking my attention.
I just need to add some things into the redone ROM then I'll upload it. It could take a couple days though, I'm busy porting PAC-ROM to my tablet. Once that's done I'll continue work on this.

Reactions: jrbxx7

zaidrpm

Dec 7, 2013
Hellow, i want to request you to enable usb otg. There are many members on hp forums who are trying to enable it. Otg troubleshooter does not work on stock rom

pcookei

Jul 31, 2011
If you have the time please

Sorry to be a pain, but any idea when you will have the time to fix this. Its my grandsons tab and I would like to fix it for him. Thanks. I know I could probably learn how to do it myself but the old brain cells are a bit thick these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: I am NOT responsible for any damage you do to your device.

Slate 7 Plus 4200 owners, I have a version of this ROM for you guys as well. You can find it here.

This is JB-SlateROM, a customized and debloated ROM for the HP Slate 7! This was designed for the 2800 but might work on the 4600 as I haven't tested since I don't have a Slate 7.

EDIT: Confirmed working on the 2800!

EDIT: NOT working of the 4600/4601. I'll recook the ROM for you guys when time permits.

Before you can install this ROM you need CWM on your device. Go here to get a build of ClockWorkMod v6.0.3.3.

FEATURES
    Bloatware removed! :victory:
    If the bloatware is still there, go to Settings, then Apps. Find the app and hit Disable Updates. That will delete the bloatware permanently. If it's still there after that I did not remove it. Tell me what you want removed in that case.
    Original launcher has been hidden (saved as an .apk-hide file) in favor of Apex Launcher.
    ES File Explorer added.
    GravityBox Xposed module added.
    App Settings Xposed module added.
    Quick Boot added.
    Xposed Installer added. (Not activated by default! Go into the installer, hit Framework, then hit Install/Update, then hit Soft Reboot or Reboot!)

Download
    Changelog
    v2.0 - Coming Soon :D Complete redo. More bloatware removed and tweaked a few more things... (AKA the "If an android crashes and nobody is around to logcat, can it still be fixed?" Update)
    v1.1 - Removed references to ePrint.kpa (UNRELEASED)
    v1.0 - Initial release.

The ROM is done!
    I just have to sign the ROM and we'll be done.
    Is that for the 4600/4601 model?

Theoretically the ROM will work on any model but I designed it around the 2800/2801 models.
    Signing now. :D
    Again the status 7error. It says some changes failed. Please help me. My tab is slate 7 2800

Sent from my GT-I9001 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Note: i had formatted system before installing the rom

Sent from my GT-I9001 using xda app-developers app

That's because I haven't updated the download link yet. Sorry about that, my server's upload speed isn't the best.