What component is this? [Q]

Search This thread

irepair18

Jun 20, 2014
Hi, I have an ATT Galaxay Note 3 that won't turn on. I repair phones so I was checking to make sure everything inside was good and I stumbled upon this. I compared it to another note 3 that was also GSM and it did have this component so I believe this is what's causing the problem. Now the issue I'm having is that I don't know what part this is and where I could find it. If anybody could shed some light and help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. I'm new to the forum so if this is the wrong place to ask questions I'm sorry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 30

izzylaif

Jun 10, 2014
Hi, I have an ATT Galaxay Note 3 that won't turn on. I repair phones so I was checking to make sure everything inside was good and I stumbled upon this. I compared it to another note 3 that was also GSM and it did have this component so I believe this is what's causing the problem. Now the issue I'm having is that I don't know what part this is and where I could find it. If anybody could shed some light and help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. I'm new to the forum so if this is the wrong place to ask questions I'm sorry.

that's an smd capacitor

Disgruntledbear

Jun 21, 2014
Waterbury, CT

Sometimes In new revisions of devices they add or in this case remove components for various development reasons.
I am fairly certain that this is not what is causing the device not to boot. If it had been accidentally removed it would have done damage to the board or there would have been a piece of the capacitor still left. The only way that component could have been removed is if someone with precision desoldering kit removed it.
Can you elaborate on "won't turn on"?

irepair18

Jun 20, 2014
Doesn't power on or show signs of life

Sometimes In new revisions of devices they add or in this case remove components for various development reasons.
I am fairly certain that this is not what is causing the device not to boot. If it had been accidentally removed it would have done damage to the board or there would have been a piece of the capacitor still left. The only way that component could have been removed is if someone with precision desoldering kit removed it.
Can you elaborate on "won't turn on"?

When the power button is pressed the phone does not vibrate or show any signs of life. It does not respond at all when it's connected to the computer. The power button has been replaced and it has a new battery. It does absolutely nothing when the power button is pressed. Any guesses as to what the problem might be?

shimp208

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
When the power button is pressed the phone does not vibrate or show any signs of life. It does not respond at all when it's connected to the computer. The power button has been replaced and it has a new battery. It does absolutely nothing when the power button is pressed. Any guesses as to what the problem might be?

It's possible that the device may have been hard bricked before it was given to you to repair. Since you mentioned your repair phones have you tried using JTAG to bring the device back to life.

irepair18

Jun 20, 2014
I have not used JTAG

It's possible that the device may have been hard bricked before it was given to you to repair. Since you mentioned your repair phones have you tried using JTAG to bring the device back to life.

I have not used JTAG bc I don't have a RIFF Box. I repair issues such as cracked screens, Water damage, and internal replacement parts and in some cases lcd connectors and battery ports. I also do a little but of software based stuff but no JTAG. Is there anyway to find out if the device is hard bricked or not?

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
I have not used JTAG bc I don't have a RIFF Box. I repair issues such as cracked screens, Water damage, and internal replacement parts and in some cases lcd connectors and battery ports. I also do a little but of software based stuff but no JTAG. Is there anyway to find out if the device is hard bricked or not?

If the device doesn't vibrate at all, no LED, doesn't power on, can't access download mode (In your case since it's a Samsung device) or recovery, and doesn't respond at all when plugged into a computer, you made sure the battery was charged, and the device had adequate power, that usually means it's hard bricked. JTAG is likely the only option at this point.

irepair18

Jun 20, 2014
JTAG

If the device doesn't vibrate at all, no LED, doesn't power on, can't access download mode (In your case since it's a Samsung device) or recovery, and doesn't respond at all when plugged into a computer, you made sure the battery was charged, and the device had adequate power, that usually means it's hard bricked. JTAG is likely the only option at this point.

Where could I find a good RIFF box and how do I use it? I know you have to solder some pins but how do you know which ones? Any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated. I have some basic knowledge on the subject but enough to start attempting these types of repairs. Thanks in advance.

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Where could I find a good RIFF box and how do I use it? I know you have to solder some pins but how do you know which ones? Any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated. I have some basic knowledge on the subject but enough to start attempting these types of repairs. Thanks in advance.

A good box for JTAG is the RIFF box which you can find out where to purchase one from here. For which pins you have to solder the RIFF box has a feature which allows you to test which pins are which on the board that you need to solder. I would also highly recommend checking out this series of video tutorials, as well as this video on a HTC Wildfire S being resurrected as it gives some what of a tutorial on the process involved. Another possibility that may or may not work is a jig, what the jig does is it forces the device into download mode and you connect it to the micro usb port on the phone, you can purchase a usb jig from here.

irepair18

Jun 20, 2014
Does it have to be activated

A good box for JTAG is the RIFF box which you can find out where to purchase one from here. For which pins you have to solder the RIFF box has a feature which allows you to test which pins are which on the board that you need to solder. I would also highly recommend checking out this series of video tutorials, as well as this video on a HTC Wildfire S being resurrected as it gives some what of a tutorial on the process involved. Another possibility that may or may not work is a jig, what the jig does is it forces the device into download mode and you connect it to the micro usb port on the phone, you can purchase a usb jig from here.

I checked out some RIFF boxes and I was about to buy one when I noticed a warning about "activating" the RIFF box. Does this mean that if it isn't activated it won't work? Does the RIFF box need any updates and if so can I update without being activated?

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
I checked out some RIFF boxes and I was about to buy one when I noticed a warning about "activating" the RIFF box. Does this mean that if it isn't activated it won't work? Does the RIFF box need any updates and if so can I update without being activated?

I'm not a an expert with regards to the RIFF box, but I believe it will still work without being activated but you won't be able to use many of it's features such as the official downloads on the RIFF servers and other important features. As far as updates are concerned, you should always try to use the latest RIFF box updates as each update adds support for more devices and other feature updates. More information about RIFF box licence activation can be found here.

irepair18

Jun 20, 2014
JTAG connectors

I'm not a an expert with regards to the RIFF box, but I believe it will still work without being activated but you won't be able to use many of it's features such as the official downloads on the RIFF servers and other important features. As far as updates are concerned, you should always try to use the latest RIFF box updates as each update adds support for more devices and other feature updates. More information about RIFF box licence activation can be found here.

Last question... I've also seen some connectors that claim to connect to the RIFF box and to the board. They're purpose is to avoid any soldering on the board. They just connect to the pins and to the RIFF box. Are these cables reliable? What are the pros/cons? Will I be able to use them with any phone model? I believe they're called JTAG Molex cables but I'm not sure.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271527969827?nav=SEARCH

Here's the link to the connectors I saw. Thanks in advance for all of your help. :)

Last edited:

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Last question... I've also seen some connectors that claim to connect to the RIFF box and to the board. They're purpose is to avoid any soldering on the board. They just connect to the pins and to the RIFF box. Are these cables reliable? What are the pros/cons? Will I be able to use them with any phone model? I believe they're called JTAG Molex cables but I'm not sure.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271527969827?nav=SEARCH

Here's the link to the connectors I saw. Thanks in advance for all of your help. :)

I have no personnel experience with the molex cables. I have heard from others though that they do the job well and are reliable, and I believe you can use them on almost any model. Sorry I can't provide you with better information, I only have a little experience with JTAG.