Still having data connection issues:chicago

Search This thread

rygel411

Jun 17, 2010
Ever since that data outage from 3 weeks ago, me and my wife's thunderbolts have had issues holding 3g/4g connections. The phones willswitch all the way from 4g to no data connection at all during various points in the day. I've tried the mr1 through mr2.5 radios and the issues haven't gone away. Talked to Verizon tech support multiple times and they said they've opened up a trouble ticket to see if its the network or our phones. We stay around Aurora and naperville which are full 4g areas but have had problems in multiple towns. So just wondering if anyone in the Chicago land area or the country for that matter is experiencing the same thing since that outage from a few weeks back.

For reference, I'm running cm7 with mr2 and mr2.5 on my wife's phone. But like I said I've tried different radios already.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using XDA App

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
Is Aurora / Naperville full 4g? I know going north towards Kenosha I lose 4g around Waukegan

Sent from my ThunderBolt using XDA Premium App

sg1dan

Feb 28, 2010
connection perfectly stable in north side of chicago. i would simply return the phone to stock and exchange it. maybe a bad sim card. do you have problems sticking only to 3g? or does that work pefectly?

rygel411

Jun 17, 2010
Its been acting up since before I installed cm on our phones. They haven't been the same since the data outage. We've had cm for about a week or so and before that we were running mr1 and mr2 with basic root.

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
If the phone is fine no need to exchange it just get a new sim. I got thunderbolts for my gf and her brother yesterday and their 4g seemed perfectly stable as I was rooting them the only thing I noticed was it did take a little for 4g to kick in after toggling via lte onoff

Sent from my ThunderBolt using XDA Premium App

rygel411

Jun 17, 2010
connection perfectly stable in north side of chicago. i would simply return the phone to stock and exchange it. maybe a bad sim card. do you have problems sticking only to 3g? or does that work pefectly?

3g runs fine. And all of naperville and Aurora are 4g. North Aurora is not as far as I know. And I thought about the sim being bad but I don't think that's very likely for 2 phonesphones

DaRkL3AD3R

Dec 5, 2010
Hey rygel411, does this sound like your situation?

1) Boot phone up fresh full reboot
2) Phone grabs a 3g/4g signal instantly and holds it for several hours fine
3) Randomly when you power on the display, you are missing a 3g/4g icon but have full bars
4) Checking under Wireless Network settings, Mobile Networks is OFF and WON'T turn on
5) Reboot solves the problem or Wait approx 2-4 hours and it solves itself randomly without doing anything

Does this sound like your situation? No 3g/4g icons and no data connection, and unable to turn data back on without a reboot or waiting a long time? Cuz if so this is exactly what happens to me and I live in central NJ. I always get perfect 3G signal on all my phones, even in my house. And my data speeds are generally good; 1500-3000kbps on 3G.

I am running MR2 Das BAMF Gingerstripped with Imoseyon's 3.4.0 GB Kernel. It IS related to Gingerbread, as my girlfriends Thunderbolt running full stock does not see this issue at all.

rygel411

Jun 17, 2010
Similar but not exactly, both phones were acting up before I had gingerbread on them

wingdo

Apr 28, 2010
Chicago
I am in the western suburbs (Oak Park, River Forest) and I don't have any issues at all along the I-88 corridor out to Route 59. That's about as far into Naperville as I drive. 4G the whole way, no dropped calls.

davidbudd1

Mar 8, 2010
chicago
Hey rygel411, does this sound like your situation?

1) Boot phone up fresh full reboot
2) Phone grabs a 3g/4g signal instantly and holds it for several hours fine
3) Randomly when you power on the display, you are missing a 3g/4g icon but have full bars
4) Checking under Wireless Network settings, Mobile Networks is OFF and WON'T turn on
5) Reboot solves the problem or Wait approx 2-4 hours and it solves itself randomly without doing anything

Does this sound like your situation? No 3g/4g icons and no data connection, and unable to turn data back on without a reboot or waiting a long time? Cuz if so this is exactly what happens to me and I live in central NJ. I always get perfect 3G signal on all my phones, even in my house. And my data speeds are generally good; 1500-3000kbps on 3G.

I am running MR2 Das BAMF Gingerstripped with Imoseyon's 3.4.0 GB Kernel. It IS related to Gingerbread, as my girlfriends Thunderbolt running full stock does not see this issue at all.

I'm in Chicago and I do have this same problem from time to time. Over the last couple days it has been better but still happens

DaRkL3AD3R

Dec 5, 2010
I'm in Chicago and I do have this same problem from time to time. Over the last couple days it has been better but still happens

Just wondering but are you on MR2? Because if anything its either that or the ROM, and I am more or less thinking its the radio. Could be why we didn't see this radio OTA yet.

rygel411

Jun 17, 2010
I was on 2.5. Then I downloaded the cm7 update that dropped a couple of hours ago and I was getting horrendous speeds with it, barely 1mbps. So I downgraded to mr2 and now I'm back between 7 and 13. I'm thinking about downgrading to the froyo radio and installing the cm7 compatible version with it.

clintonroche

Feb 15, 2008
Tampa
I was in Chicago this past weekend and noticed that my data was spacing out a lot. My GF on an un-rooted Tbolt was fine the whole weekend as best as I could tell.

I am on Sense 3.0 MR 2.5 Radio.

DaRkL3AD3R

Dec 5, 2010
I was in Chicago this past weekend and noticed that my data was spacing out a lot. My GF on an un-rooted Tbolt was fine the whole weekend as best as I could tell.

I am on Sense 3.0 MR 2.5 Radio.

This is exactly my finding, just in New Jersey instead of Chicago. I would like to see explicit details on what exactly happens when you folks lose your data connection, and what happens when you try to toggle certain settings (ie - plane mode, mobile network, etc)

Especially one particular detail. When you lose your data connection, is there a 1x icon in the notification bar, or are there NO icons next to your signal. That will determine if we're having a connection problem to Verizon, or if our ROM's/Radio's are the culprit.

dbisch

Jan 30, 2011
Chicago
This is exactly my finding, just in New Jersey instead of Chicago. I would like to see explicit details on what exactly happens when you folks lose your data connection, and what happens when you try to toggle certain settings (ie - plane mode, mobile network, etc)

Especially one particular detail. When you lose your data connection, is there a 1x icon in the notification bar, or are there NO icons next to your signal. That will determine if we're having a connection problem to Verizon, or if our ROM's/Radio's are the culprit.

I have the same exact problem as the OP. I live in Wheaton, work in Carol Stream and go to Chicago every weekend because my girlfriend lives there. 4G and 3G CONSTANTLY go in and out when trying to use them. The 4G icon diappears and then reappears. It doesn't switch over to 3G or 1X. The icon just disappears, displays full bars for a second in grey, 4G icon comes back in grey with 1-2 bars in grey and then goes green after 10-20 seconds or so. It's so ****ing annoying.

I'm running the latest CM7 build with 0223r radio. I've tried MR2 and MR 2.5 and have no luck. It's driving me nuts. It's not CM7 either. I was running rooted stock and it was doing the same thing.

clintonroche

Feb 15, 2008
Tampa
I was getting symptoms like it was shutting on and off. Mine works fine with no changes in the Tampa area.

BAMF THUNDERBOLT

sg1dan

Feb 28, 2010
I have the same exact problem as the OP. I live in Wheaton, work in Carol Stream and go to Chicago every weekend because my girlfriend lives there. 4G and 3G CONSTANTLY go in and out when trying to use them. The 4G icon diappears and then reappears. It doesn't switch over to 3G or 1X. The icon just disappears, displays full bars for a second in grey, 4G icon comes back in grey with 1-2 bars in grey and then goes green after 10-20 seconds or so. It's so ****ing annoying.

I'm running the latest CM7 build with 0223r radio. I've tried MR2 and MR 2.5 and have no luck. It's driving me nuts. It's not CM7 either. I was running rooted stock and it was doing the same thing.

i only see this problem while tethering. if i try too many connections (open windows at same time) the 4g disappears for a second or two then it comes back. other than that (chicago north side) my 4g has been flawless. never switched to 3g either.

hifromkate

Apr 23, 2012
mobile connection issues on HTC Thunderbolt

Hi,
Did anyone ever figure out connection issues with HTC Thunderbolt? I have the exact issue that DaRkL3AD3R discussed in July.
My Thunderbolt just started doing almost the identical thing as he posted. Can't get on internet unless I wait, boot, whatever - almost identical to what you stated. Connection seems to be connected but it is not. I am new to "messing" around with my phone but this cuased me to root and boot but still on the Gingerbread os. It is driving me batty! It started about Mar 25 or so and I thought booting would help. Do you know if it may be the radio and are there other versions I can try? Someone mentioned new PRI version? Thanks for any pointing in the right direction!