[Q] Should I buy this or the Note 10.1 (2014)?

Search This thread

mikespe

Dec 19, 2010
What do you teach? I used mine all Spring and I may have loads of great tips for you.

I teach physical education....I'll be using mine mostly for grading, attendance, lesson writing ,etc...I also have an iPad Mini because the anatomy apps on there are much nicer. I prefer Android but I had to get an iPad to teach muscle anatomy & heart anatomy. But I had to buy the VGA adapter to hook it to my projector.

Any ideas you may have would be appreciated!!!

objbuilder

Sep 27, 2013
Originally bought the 10.1. It's a fantastic tablet but the lonnnnng charge times was kind of killing the experience for me. Was always needing to charge and it seemed like it was always dead whenever I needed it.

So when I read the 12.2 has USB 3.0 (like my Note 3) I bought one in hopes that the charge time was shorter. It's much, much shorter - somewhere around 1/4 the time. That was really my only problem with the 10.1 so the 12.2 is absolutely perfect for me.

I prefer the size of the 10.1 but now that I'm used to the 12, it's really nice too - and actually better for taking notes and drawing. I'll probably go back to a 10" screen someday since holding the tablet in one hand is more convenient. However I'm absolutely *loving* the 12.2. One of the best gadgets I own.

For me the speed differences between the two are negligible.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
So when I read the 12.2 has USB 3.0 (like my Note 3) I bought one in hopes that the charge time was shorter.

None of Samsung's USB 3.0 Android devices (yet) use the USB spec to improve charging times.

Charging is an interesting story on the Note 3, but primarily because of what doesn’t change. The Note 3 continues to use Samsung’s tablet charging specification and charger, which has 2 amps of maximum output. The Note 3 draws 2 amps over a considerable amount of the charging curve, like other Samsung devices (in the linear part of the charge curve). USB 3.0 doesn’t change things up here quite yet with the new supported charge voltages that are coming eventually with the power delivery specification.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7376/samsung-galaxy-note-3-review/3
S-800 tablets charge a lot faster than Exynos ones whether they are N10.1-14's, Pro's or S'. That's because all Samsung's S-800 devices are equipped with Qualcomm's QuickCharge chip.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge

The battery on the N12 is 17% larger than the Tab S 10.5 so its charging time should be that much longer also. In other words, it's slow. At least the Exynos versions.

Tsk_Tsk_Tsk

Apr 26, 2013
This thing is magical. I owned both and I'm in love with this. I use it for school mostly and take all my notes digitally. The multi window works pissah and the hand writing is the best of any device I've used.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
Long time no see.

USB 3.0 does increase charge speed when plugged into the computer's USB slot though. But it just raises the speed from turtle to faster turtle. But idk if it works on the exynos ones

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium HD app

bbro84

Aug 17, 2011
DFW
Pro over tab any day

I have both the note 3 and note pro, I personally like the extra few inches on screen because it is good for textbook reading and good for note taking. The note 10.1 2014 is a lot cheaper, so if you use cost as a factor, get the note 10.1 2014. I got the note pro 64GB when it was 849, now it is down to 799 for the 64GB, about 9GB is used for system storage on the note pro. The flip board ui is actually nice, but it limits your home screens on the normal TouchWiz UI. The office is really handy as well, but all depends on what you use it for.

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium HD app

The tab is the consumer friendly version. Lot less wow factor than the pro 12.2. The pro is hands down the best tablet I have had my hands on yet. Pro Power - you will not regret this one!!

Reactions: Android.Ninja

Zombeezy

Jul 11, 2012
I was about to pull the trigger on a 10.1 2014 P607T but ended up with the 12.2 Pro WiFi when Best Buy lopped $100 off it
Labor Day weekend.

Two main reasons: wife could read it better, and the small amount of free data from T-Mo without roaming was not compelling.

Well, that and it will be at home mostly on WiFi. If I need to hop on the internet on a trip and I'm not where WiFi is, I'll get a quick answer using my phone.

Wife being happy about purchase made it a no-brainer!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When I first got the Pro, it was so much bigger and heavier than my 10.1. I decided to make the 10.1 my couch tablet and the Pro my work tablet.

Two weeks later, and my 10.1 sits untouched for the past three days. The only use it's gotten in the past week is my daughter using Sketchbook.

The 10.1 has its advantages - it's much lighter, easier to hold in one hand, and for games with on screen thumb controls, the 10.1 is light enough for extended gaming.

Everything else? The Pro owns. Remote Desktop, comics, magazines, video, browsing - you name it, and it's better on the Pro. Sketchbook is much better too because there's more area to rest your hand.

I had been saying I'd get the 10.1 if I had to choose because it's a better all around package. But in the past week I've done a 180.
    Long time no see.

USB 3.0 does increase charge speed when plugged into the computer's USB slot though. But it just raises the speed from turtle to faster turtle. But idk if it works on the exynos ones

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium HD app
    I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 which charges and syncs using a USB 3 port. I have an old 1-gen Galaxy Tab 10.1 which use to read documents and sometimes read news like on my Note 3. Then I use these two devices while I travel I have to carry two chargers with me the old Samsung non-USB charger for my GT 10.1 and the USB 3 charger for my Note 3.

Some say that the only thing you get from buying this tablet insteed of Note 10.1 2014 is that the Note Pro 12.2 has the larger screen and the USB 3 port. Is that true? Regards if I buy the Note 10.1 2014, I still have to carry two chargers around with me a mini USB 2.0 an mini USB 3.0. What would you Guys surgest that I buy?
    I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 which charges and syncs using a USB 3 port. I have an old 1-gen Galaxy Tab 10.1 which use to read documents and sometimes read news like on my Note 3. Then I use these two devices while I travel I have to carry two chargers with me the old Samsung non-USB charger for my GT 10.1 and the USB 3 charger for my Note 3.

Some say that the only thing you get from buying this tablet insteed of Note 10.1 2014 is that the Note Pro 12.2 has the larger screen and the USB 3 port. Is that true? Regards if I buy the Note 10.1 2014, I still have to carry two chargers around with me a mini USB 2.0 an mini USB 3.0. What would you Guys surgest that I buy?

I have both the note 3 and note pro, I personally like the extra few inches on screen because it is good for textbook reading and good for note taking. The note 10.1 2014 is a lot cheaper, so if you use cost as a factor, get the note 10.1 2014. I got the note pro 64GB when it was 849, now it is down to 799 for the 64GB, about 9GB is used for system storage on the note pro. The flip board ui is actually nice, but it limits your home screens on the normal TouchWiz UI. The office is really handy as well, but all depends on what you use it for.

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium HD app
    The tab is the consumer friendly version. Lot less wow factor than the pro 12.2. The pro is hands down the best tablet I have had my hands on yet. Pro Power - you will not regret this one!!

Second that!

Developers don't need no stinkin' signature!
    If I've been able to help you, please hit the "Thanks" button. ;)