[Q] Android user for 8 years but what now?

Search This thread

axlastro

Jan 6, 2008
Hi guys, I have been an android user from the beginning. I recently broke my S3 screen and sold it so now I'm using an iphone 5. While it's a marvelous piece of hardware and makes me wonder if I should switch to iOS, I'm still thinking of getting an android phone for a couple of reasons.

I'll be getting my device from a local carrier, so no OPPO, Lenovo or Motorola devices here. Just LG, Sammy, HTC, Huaiwei and Nokia

Let me share some more thoughts after using the iphone for about a week.
The microphone is weak when used at a distance and that's a problem, as I don't like using bluetooth and usually just use the speakerphone on my handset. So what I need is :

1. A phone that can actually be used as a phone - I hear the N5 has even worse speakerphone/microphone performance

2. A phone that will last me thorough a day of HEAVY usage - emails, 1-2 hours of voice calls, internet browsing etc.

3. A phone that won't bulge my jeans pocket too much when used with a case, but still enough screen size for typing - the iphone absolutely SUCKS for typing - it's the worst of all devices I've had in this regard. A bigger screen is a must, but not TOO big.

4. A phone that won't be loaded with c***p and run fast and smooth - you know, like an iphone.

5. A device that can be unlocked/rooted etc. and restored back to stock in case of warranty claim

6. A solid, well built and good looking device that will last me for 2 years, ergonomy is a MUST.

So what are your thoughts?

alastrionia

Apr 16, 2011
I voted for the LG G2 as it happens to be the phone I'm currently using as is the wife
If you can spring for it, I'd get the 32gb model ( extra space is never a bad thing )

1. Phone as a phone , call quality I find is very solid , no dropped calls or odd fluctuations with sound levels.
2. The battery is a beast on this device. I can get a full day with theming / emails / browsing / media streaming
a. some days I can get through work only if I do some heavy netflixing or downloading like crazy
but I keep a spare charger next to my desk for that just in case , hehe
3. Screen size and overall size are very respectable. My wife has an incipio case and loves the feel of it. Fits in her pocket with very little bulge.
4. While stock ( my wifes ) does have some extra stuff loaded on it, does not slow it down in the least. And some of the LG apps are quite nice.
a. I've rooted mine and running CM11 on it , so definitely slimmed it up ,
performance wise depending on what we are doing , can't tell a difference.
5. Forum support here is quite extensive , and there are a ton of ROMS available. Plus going back to stock is pretty straightforward as well.
6. 2 years , this phone should easily last you. I don't see any reason why not.

Hopefully this helps. While it is personal experience with the phone vs none with the others in your list , I'm very happy with LG and what they did.

axlastro

Jan 6, 2008
Well Jailbreaking allows for some customizations but comes at a price - I'm now struggling with some disappearing icons. The microphone sounds muted when you hold the device away from you and the proximity sensor sometimes doesn't work. I'll probably get the lg but really not aure about the design - it is UGLY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

axlastro

Jan 6, 2008
As much as I like the iphone , I'm going back to android mainly because of bigger screen... It is fast though, but not very productive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk