LG G2, Sprint tethering help?

Search This thread

pokemaster787

May 10, 2014
Hello all! Newbie here, recently switched from an iphone to an Android (Definitely not a decision I'm regretting). I have the Sprint LS980 LG G2 on the shipping firmware (Jellybean, 4.2 I believe) I've already got it rooted, but no custom recovery nor custom ROM installed. Now, I was doing some reading and found the only way to tether (without pdanet) would be to flash a custom ROM that removes the check to see if I have the tethering plan. (Apologies if this topic is against the rules, but I don't think it is, I read the rules.)
I'm pretty well with technology and can likely get through the flashing process myself, I just have a few questions first.

1. Custom recoveries- TWRP is the only one I've heard of, and from what I understand custom recoveries are important since data can be lost during a flash, should I use TWRP or do you suggest a different one?
2. The ROM, what size are ROM files generally? I can't download super large files due to slow connection.
3. Can I get a ROM just like stock Jellybean that just has the hotspot check removed? I'm just now learning stock Android and am not ready to learn an entirely new custom ROM.

Thank you every one for help in advance. I will be doing reading on the subject while waiting on responses so I might update the post if I find an answer elsewhere. Thanks again!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
Hello all! Newbie here, recently switched from an iphone to an Android (Definitely not a decision I'm regretting). I have the Sprint LS980 LG G2 on the shipping firmware (Jellybean, 4.2 I believe) I've already got it rooted, but no custom recovery nor custom ROM installed. Now, I was doing some reading and found the only way to tether (without pdanet) would be to flash a custom ROM that removes the check to see if I have the tethering plan. (Apologies if this topic is against the rules, but I don't think it is, I read the rules.)
I'm pretty well with technology and can likely get through the flashing process myself, I just have a few questions first.

1. Custom recoveries- TWRP is the only one I've heard of, and from what I understand custom recoveries are important since data can be lost during a flash, should I use TWRP or do you suggest a different one?
2. The ROM, what size are ROM files generally? I can't download super large files due to slow connection.
3. Can I get a ROM just like stock Jellybean that just has the hotspot check removed? I'm just now learning stock Android and am not ready to learn an entirely new custom ROM.

Thank you every one for help in advance. I will be doing reading on the subject while waiting on responses so I might update the post if I find an answer elsewhere. Thanks again!

ok first we need to know exactly what update are you on in settings>about phone>software version and the build number should have the version you are on, of course you can also share a screenshot of that screen better safe than sorry this way I can recommend an install method for twrp(there is also cwm and philz but I think that twrp is best for beginners) and if you want to stock experience but are only interested in the hotspot mod then after you get custom recovery you can just flash the mod just mentioned also all stock related roms range from 1gb-2gb depends on what's included

p.s. (after getting custom recovery make sure you don't update via ota or you will bootloop/soft brick)

pokemaster787

May 10, 2014
ok first we need to know exactly what update are you on in settings>about phone>software version and the build number should have the version you are on, of course you can also share a screenshot of that screen better safe than sorry this way I can recommend an install method for twrp(there is also cwm and philz but I think that twrp is best for beginners) and if you want to stock experience but are only interested in the hotspot mod then after you get custom recovery you can just flash the mod just mentioned also all stock related roms range from 1gb-2gb depends on what's included

p.s. (after getting custom recovery make sure you don't update via ota or you will bootloop/soft brick)

Thanks for the response, here is a screenshot
uma8yzu7.jpg

Reading into the hotspot mod you linked now, thanks again.
Won't accept any OTA updates, I've actually had an OTA update downloaded since I got the phone but haven't installed it, would there be any way to delete the downloaded update and prevent it from redownloading? (the notification is a tad annoying, no big deal if not though)

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
Thanks for the response, here is a screenshot
uma8yzu7.jpg

Reading into the hotspot mod you linked now, thanks again.
Won't accept any OTA updates, I've actually had an OTA update downloaded since I got the phone but haven't installed it, would there be any way to delete the downloaded update and prevent it from redownloading? (the notification is a tad annoying, no big deal if not though)

I think update that is pending is zvc/zvb(both of them are kitkat for your phone), I know on my device I renamed the lgfota.apk/odex to lgfota.apk.bak/lgfota.odex.bak(this means they aren't deleted but the phone can't update) but since it's already downloaded don't do this, I think you should ota since you still don't have custom recovery and it will either succeed and things will be awesome or fail and just say you are suspected of rooting

what to do after ota:
-if it succeeds and you uodate to 4.4.2zvc/zvb
you will rename the lgfota.apk/odex to lgfota.apk.bak/lgfota.odex.bak so that no more updates happen and then use autorec to install custom recovery
-if it fails and you stay on 4.2zva
you will rename the lgfota.apk/odex to lgfota.apk.bak/lgfota.odex.bak so that if update redownloads it won't install after we get custom recovery, also for custom recovery you will download freegee from playstore and use it to install custom recovery

Last edited:

pokemaster787

May 10, 2014
I think update that is pending is zvc/zvb(both of them are kitkat for your phone), I know on my device I renamed the lgfota.apk/odex to lgfot.apk.bak/lgfota.odex.bak(this means they aren't deleted but the phone can't update) but since it's already downloaded don't do this I think you should ota since you still don't have custom recovery and it will either succeed and things will be awesome or fail and just say you are suspected of rooting

So you think I should unroot, run the update, and then reroot and proceed with TWRP and the hotspot mod?

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
So you think I should unroot, run the update, and then reroot and proceed with TWRP and the hotspot mod?

no need to unroot just ota the reason for this is so that we can rename lgfota safely if it updates then awesome and if it doesn't then it won't be a problem also I updated my last post with further instructions because I'm getting sleepy and am taking precautionary measures in case I fall asleep so that you know what to do

pokemaster787

May 10, 2014
no need to unroot just ota the reason for this is so that we can rename lgfota safely if it updates then awesome and if it doesn't then it won't be a problem also I updated my last post with further instructions because I'm getting sleepy and am taking precautionary measures in case I fall asleep so that you know what to do

So there's no chance I'll get a brick doing this without unrooting? (Also forgot to mention I do have a few root apps installed if that matters) Anyway, think I'm gonna do this all tomorrow so I won't be up till midnight trying to fix it if something does go wrong, taking a look at the instructions now to get a general idea, thanks for the help again

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
So there's no chance I'll get a brick doing this without unrooting? (Also forgot to mention I do have a few root apps installed if that matters) Anyway, think I'm gonna do this all tomorrow so I won't be up till midnight trying to fix it if something does go wrong, taking a look at the instructions now to get a general idea, thanks for the help again

Ok then if you want to wait till tomorrow then perfect it's better to have someone help guide you and I am sure that nothing will happen lots of people ota with root including me for example when the update still doesn't have root exploit then best way to keep root would be to update with root so that root can survive, you understand anyways if you want some help tomorrow for the upgrade/recovery process then you can pm me if you need any help or ask in the noob help thread I help lots of people their so it's second best way to reach me and other helpful people

Sent from LG-G2 D800 on AEONFLEX 4.4.2

pokemaster787

May 10, 2014
Ok then if you want to wait till tomorrow then perfect it's better to have someone help guide you and I am sure that nothing will happen lots of people ota with root including me for example when the update still doesn't have root exploit then best way to keep root would be to update with root so that root can survive, you understand anyways if you want some help tomorrow for the upgrade/recovery process then you can pm me if you need any help or ask in the noob help thread I help lots of people their so it's second best way to reach me and other helpful people

Update ran flawlessly, gonna try and install TWRP now

Edit: Where would I find the file you told me to rename?

Edit: Attached a picture with all of my new software info in case you need it
yqurameh.jpg

Last edited:

pokemaster787

May 10, 2014
Well, appears I've lost root access during the update, and IOroot isn't working? Am I doing something wrong? I'm following the same instructions as before using IOroot 25. USB debugging, charge only mode, airplane mode, then it enters recovery mode (Oddly it didn't even enter recovery mode on the first root) and I choose adb as it instructs me to, then I press any key as instructed and then IOroot just closes and the phone just waits. Anything I'm doing wrong?

Edit: Manually rooted, problem solved.

Last edited:

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
Well, appears I've lost root access during the update, and IOroot isn't working? Am I doing something wrong? I'm following the same instructions as before using IOroot 25. USB debugging, charge only mode, airplane mode, then it enters recovery mode (Oddly it didn't even enter recovery mode on the first root) and I choose adb as it instructs me to, then I press any key as instructed and then IOroot just closes and the phone just waits. Anything I'm doing wrong?

Yea for kiktat root method is different any ways glad you got root working

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

yqurameh.jpg

Installing twrp is easy as pie anyways the file to edit is located in system/priv-app and you can get there using root browser

Reactions: pokemaster787

pokemaster787

May 10, 2014
Installed TWRP and flashed the file successfully, however sadly it did not work. However, I found someone suggesting "Wifi Tether Router" from the play store, works perfectly. Thanks for all the help again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yea for kiktat root method is different any ways glad you got root working

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

yqurameh.jpg

Installing twrp is easy as pie anyways the file to edit is located in system/priv-app and you can get there using root browser