Car chargers

Search This thread

primo523

Jun 18, 2011
Just thought I'd share something simple that helps if ur charging ur phone in the car. I've noticed a lot of chargers charge at 1 amp. Seems like it took for ever to charge my phone in the car. I recently bought a 2.1 amp charger for $10 and the charging difference is huge. 6-7 % in 10 minutes with full brightness and gps on. Just thought I'd pass this info on. Sometimes it's the simple things we overlook..:D

Sent from my SPH-L720 using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

Reactions: bryguy9021

esqueue

Nov 25, 2007
Long Beach
Just thought I'd share something simple that helps if ur charging ur phone in the car. I've noticed a lot of chargers charge at 1 amp. Seems like it took for ever to charge my phone in the car. I recently bought a 2.1 amp charger for $10 and the charging difference is huge. 6-7 % in 10 minutes with full brightness and gps on. Just thought I'd pass this info on. Sometimes it's the simple things we overlook..:D

There is a lot more to it than just that. Many actual 2 amp + battery chargers refuse to charge at the full 1.9 amp. Apparently the stock samsung charger gives off a certain resistance between the data terminals. Some cheap usb cables drop the resistance to where it will not charge at full 1.9 even with the correct adapter.

I ended up soldering some resistors in my car charger and replacing the 2 wire usb cable with a 4 wire usb cable that I had laying around. It now charges at the full 1.9 amps. It's rated for 2 amps.

Found all the info here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2274321

bryguy9021

May 20, 2014
thanks for pointing out the amps primo.. went and got 2 amp charger from biglots for 8$..much better.. was using a very old one and it was worthless.. also using factory cable instead of aftermarket made huge difference

vilasman

Mar 20, 2007
I charge using external batteries...most of the time. I take it that using the correct cable would make a large difference as well

Spades2006

Jul 16, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I use Monoprice PID 10239, works great

edit: scratch that, monoprice PID 10239 has a 3 amp fuse which blew when my gf tried to charge her iPhone at the same time as my GS4.

search TopG charger on Amazon for a more compact, fuseless 4.4A car charger. It's $9 and Prime eligible. Fuses in car chargers are pointless since the cigarette lighter receptacle is already fused to 10 or 15 amps in your car.

Last edited:

afrancois22

Dec 19, 2014
I bought a car charger from a Chinese eBay vendor and my phone charges from <5% to 50% in roughly 30 minutes.

speedee12

Sep 14, 2010
I actually built my own charger that I hard wired into my car and I love it. I had a snap fish desk charger that crapped out on me, so I bought a lm2596 adjustable power supply for a couple bucks on eBay. Wired that up to the snap fish cable, adjusted the voltage and away I went. The module has a 3 amp capacity so it charges my phone or tablet quickly.

Spades2006

Jul 16, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I actually built my own charger that I hard wired into my car and I love it. I had a snap fish desk charger that crapped out on me, so I bought a lm2596 adjustable power supply for a couple bucks on eBay. Wired that up to the snap fish cable, adjusted the voltage and away I went. The module has a 3 amp capacity so it charges my phone or tablet quickly.
i'm using one of these but the charging keeps cutting in and out. i think i may have fudged up the wiring, i wired it to an add-a-fuse but i may need to just wire it directly.

speedee12

Sep 14, 2010
I would keep the fuse in there. You never know when these cheap electronics will crap out and could potentially start a fire. I would make sure your connections are secure. To me it sounds like loose worrying or a bad unit. I used one of those in girlfriends car, works great-I put a switch in there to cut power if not being used.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There is a lot more to it than just that. Many actual 2 amp + battery chargers refuse to charge at the full 1.9 amp. Apparently the stock samsung charger gives off a certain resistance between the data terminals. Some cheap usb cables drop the resistance to where it will not charge at full 1.9 even with the correct adapter.

I ended up soldering some resistors in my car charger and replacing the 2 wire usb cable with a 4 wire usb cable that I had laying around. It now charges at the full 1.9 amps. It's rated for 2 amps.

Found all the info here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2274321