Verizon has already started "optimizing" me

Search This thread

bamige1

Jun 28, 2013
If it helps, I heard that because they dont wanna do unlimited anymore, they will slow down the ppl with unlimited to get them to switch to a limited data plan.

graymonkey44

Nov 12, 2011
New York
If it helps, I heard that because they dont wanna do unlimited anymore, they will slow down the ppl with unlimited to get them to switch to a limited data plan.

That's exactly their plan. This network optimization only affects unlimited data customers. Another customer could use 500 GB in a day as long as they're paying for it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

Neontc

Aug 10, 2012
Weird how they start doing this just as t-mobile comes out with a plan that's unlimited with no throttling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
Weird how they start doing this just as t-mobile comes out with a plan that's unlimited with no throttling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app
What do you mean come out? They had it for quite awhile. Last carrier to have truly unlimited.
11GB in 10 days?

Maybe it's because I never had the luxury of ever having unlimited data because when I got my first smartphone, Verizon had already gotten rid of unlimited and I haven't ever been on a different carrier, but I can't even begin to fathom how someone can uses that much data unless they do some serious media consumption/torrenting daily.

I don't even know what I'd do with unlimited data. ~3GB is my monthly usage.

Sucks that Verizon is going to throttle unlimited users, but they'll do ANYTHING to get you off of the plan (other than pay you to).
Lol that 11GB is alot. My cycle just finished a few days ago and my line used 169GB and the wifes used 79 GB.

Hell I'm currently at 42GB and the wife is at 19GB and we are only a few days in!

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
A few pics to show usage

1410022188170.jpg
1410022172727.jpg

ryant35

Feb 17, 2009
Cypress
It doesn't look like I've been throttled down at all... And I average 20-40gb a month for the past 6 years.
My home wifi is actually even faster so I don't use 4G at home very much anymore.

2014-09-11071430_zps5a92d6d9.png

Screenshot_2014-09-11-06-39-11_zpsb379eeb0.png

loukwarm

Jul 22, 2013
I have noticed a drop in speeds. Been contemplating a switch to TMO, not sure of service in my area though.

zombolt

Mar 29, 2011
I believe I was optimized today. Just hit 16gb for the month. I was in a small town next to the interstate with moderate traffic. My data was so slow that my phone was completely unusable. Web pages and the play store would time out before anything loaded. Email still worked. Restarting and turning on off Airplane mode did not help. As soon as I got closer to the city my speeds picked up again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thankfully I haven't seen the optimization happen yet and I am running at about 10gB per month. What will be interesting is how bad it gets when verizon starts turning on all the VoLTE cities and seeing how quickly the unlimited data customers get optimized into hell because they need the bandwidth for the voice data.
    Complain to the FCC chairman - the selective throttling of udp customers is not network optimization, it is profit optimization. They are fine with a user using 100GB a month if they pay $375/mo for it; they are not fine with you using 5GB/mo if you only pay $29.99/mo for it.

Verizon's throttling has nothing to do with network congestion and everything to do with profit maximization.

Here is where you complain:
    fcc.gov/leadership/tom-wheeler-mail