[GUIDE] How to edit build.prop on any Android device!

Search This thread

vaibhavx100

Jun 5, 2013
help needed

hey i edited my build.prop too in order to install non compatible gameloft games by changing ro model and brand as suggested usually but it didn't solved the problem as the apps are still not compatible, i think i must have to change more extensions of my build.prop in order to get results, below is my build.prop outline, kindly suggest what to do, kindly remove the zip extension from the name

Attachments

• build.prop.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 328

a!n!d!r!o!i!d

Apr 20, 2013
Would it be a big problem if I change the android version from 2.3.6 to 4.1.2. And what will happen if I install holo launcher hd which requires 4.0+ ? Will it run properly?

Last edited:

pollutedmuse

Mar 14, 2013
Sacramento
a similar tip

I am new also, but eager and always learning more about the ridiculously clever system. I really do appreciate all you guys who give so of your lives to the millions of us who have questions. That said I just wanted to add that if one was so inclined, one could could also alter a torrent or blackmart app's ability to...say for instance "check licence" with google play. This is done much the same way, but instead of devise build prop, by editing the apps manifest file-found by opening the file within ES explorer. I was tickled pink when I discovered this power several weeks ago. have fun all!!

IndyIndy

Nov 20, 2010
Hi,

i am trying to install a japanese App, that is only installable on Xperia Devices (like the Xperia Tablet S). My Tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab (GT-P5100)

I changed the following:
ro.product.model=GT-P5100
ro.product.brand=samsung

to:
ro.product.model=Sony Tablet S
ro.product.brand=Sony

also i am using a japanese proxy server to access the Google Play Store via web browser with my Tablet. But it still says that my device is incompatible.

Are there some other settings that I need to change?

abhishekturumella

Jun 17, 2013
thread strtr explained perfectly how to do it so that even beginners like me can do it with ease.thnx dude.....and also thnx to all others :D...Es file explored method dint work for me...after editing it says "error cannot save. the changes will not be saved"

so i downloaded build prop editor and it worked perfectlyyyy !!! :good::good:

catapult1234

Jan 18, 2009
Tilburg
Would it be a big problem if I change the android version from 2.3.6 to 4.1.2. And what will happen if I install holo launcher hd which requires 4.0+ ? Will it run properly?

That would be like putting a ferrari sticker on your bike and ask if it can go 200 mph now! :eek:

No of course it will not run properly. Holo launcher expects certain functions of the android API level, which are simply not present in 2.3.6

Cheers

radhames3048

Sep 4, 2013
Have you ever wanted to use an app from the Google Play store or a game...but it wasn't "supported" on your device?..Well DroidModder is here to the rescue to tell you not to worry at all and that you can use those apps in just seconds by editing one file in your devices system. This file is called build.prop

Once downloaded and installed, Open the application and hit Menu, then tap "Settings", this will bring you to the apps Settings Menu. Once in the Settings Menu, scroll all the way down to Root Settings. In Root Settings, "check" Root Explorer and Mount File System

Once that is done, go back to the main part of the app that shows all the folders. On that page in the TOP RIGHT you should see a little window like icon, tap that and a set of icons should appear..on the left, there will be an icon that has a star and says Favorites...hit that please. When you hit favorites, it will display the directories on your device, such as Internal Storage, SD CARD, etc. Please tap the icon that shows your device. It can also be distinguished by a "/". By tapping that we have gone into our Devices Internal Storage. The next step is to navigate the system file...it should be towards the bottom. Now enter the system file and scroll to the bottom..at the bottom there will be your build.prop. Be aware that there is also a file named build.prop.bak, we are not using that file so just leave it alone..and enter the regular build.prop. Open the build.prop, the device will prompt you to ask what editor you would like to use to view/edit the build.prop...just use the ES Note Editor.

Once in build.prop you can edit the following things:

-edit Android Version by locating ro.build.version.release= and changing the current Build Version.
- Edit your Model # by locating ro.product.model= and changing your model #
- change your product brand by locating ro.product.brand=

Please Note that if you change the product brand, the name MUST be in ALL LOWERCASE LETTERS!!!

Once you are done playing around, press menu, and then Save...now just exit the app and reboot your phone.
Once your device reboots, go to Settings> About Phone/Device and see the changes! ;D

If you thought this tutorial helped you, please hit that thanks button!

Hi I have a lg optimus g e970 on lg stock jelly bean and I'm rooted, nothing more.

I bought root explorer app and I went to my build.pro file (I notice that there only was that file, no the build.prop.bak file) them I edit the ro.radio..blablabla and when I get out I saw I have a new file (build.prop.bak) so I stupidly erase the build.prop file and I only got the build.prop.bak now. I research a little and I found I did a terrible thing and now im scared to reboot my phone.

A little after I try to open the build.prop.bak file and it won't open them I open it with the open with option and use the view and edit text option and it open I it was identically a the build.prop file so I erase the .bak and rename it to build.prop

I don't know if that resolve the problem but I'm scared to reboot my phone.

The only idea I have its going to settings---> backup and restore ---> factory reset and reinstall everything, root, etc.

Pliz help :crying:

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry to bother..

chrissi77

Oct 20, 2008
Since my tablet was incompatible to a game, I once tried Market Helper. White this app I was able to load the game and then it's work. So I must not change the name of Device in the build.prop.
Sorry for my bad English.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

dagauth

Jun 19, 2013
Thanks for the tuto!
Really useful to change the device "ID" :) i can access much more app now with my chinese tablet :)

wwboynton

Feb 8, 2013
Hello! I've gone and done something silly, it seems.

I edited the build.prop file of my HP Touchpad running CM10.1 to identify itself identically to my Verizon Razr Maxx. However, in the process, must've done something careless, as it now hangs just after the CMod splash, with a blank screen, flicking the backlight on and off indefinitely.

I used the ADB to push the backup of the build.prop file to the right place, then pulled it to check that the right version had been pushed. However, despite reverting the file to its original state, I have no such luck; the device is doing the same thing.

Suggestions, anyone? Help would be much appreciated.

desperadoxzg

Sep 19, 2013
I used your way to try it, I also used many other ES explores to try to edit the file

but every time when a reboot my phone, this file just automatically change it back

I already make sure that I change the properities to write first, and also, change it back when I was finish, but it just keep happenning!

It is driving me CRAZY

Please give me some help with this, THX

Rymon

Nov 1, 2009
HEEEELP!!!

Hi all!

I have a Nexus 4 running on PAC (Android 4.2.2).
I have edited the build.prop file, but before that I had taken a copy of the original one in one file (lets call it copy1...but the name is still build.prop), and a copy of the edited file (lets call it copy2...still same name).
I used the edited file for some time, but now I wanted it reverted back to the original settings.
Once I set copy1 in /system/ and overwrote the edited file, I rebooted my phone and after the Google logo it just goes blank.
I booted through TWRP recovery to set it back to copy2 through the file manager, but still the problem is the same.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

winaloha557

Sep 18, 2013
Bangkok
Hi all!

I have a Nexus 4 running on PAC (Android 4.2.2).
I have edited the build.prop file, but before that I had taken a copy of the original one in one file (lets call it copy1...but the name is still build.prop), and a copy of the edited file (lets call it copy2...still same name).
I used the edited file for some time, but now I wanted it reverted back to the original settings.
Once I set copy1 in /system/ and overwrote the edited file, I rebooted my phone and after the Google logo it just goes blank.
I booted through TWRP recovery to set it back to copy2 through the file manager, but still the problem is the same.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I faced this problem before, I used to save entire build.prop in my sd card and I've modified something in build.prop and then copy and replace into original build.prop in system folder, once I reboot, it got bootloop, luckily I had made nandroid backup, I just learned that if I replace entire build.prop to original one, it will get bootloop.

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 AM ----------

I've edited lpa.use-stagefright=true to false value in my friend's phone, and it got bootloop, why did it happen? :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you ever wanted to use an app from the Google Play store or a game...but it wasn't "supported" on your device?..Well DroidModder is here to the rescue to tell you not to worry at all and that you can use those apps in just seconds by editing one file in your devices system. This file is called build.prop

We will talk more about what this file holds and where its all displayed within your OS. Before we go any further, be aware that you must be rooted, which I assume, all of us are.

Now to access this file, you will need a File Manager, you can use the stock manager but I recommend using ES File Explorer. It is free on the Play Store and I will put a link below to download it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

Once downloaded and installed, Open the application and hit Menu, then tap "Settings", this will bring you to the apps Settings Menu. Once in the Settings Menu, scroll all the way down to Root Settings. In Root Settings, "check" Root Explorer and Mount File System

Once that is done, go back to the main part of the app that shows all the folders. On that page in the TOP RIGHT you should see a little window like icon, tap that and a set of icons should appear..on the left, there will be an icon that has a star and says Favorites...hit that please. When you hit favorites, it will display the directories on your device, such as Internal Storage, SD CARD, etc. Please tap the icon that shows your device. It can also be distinguished by a "/". By tapping that we have gone into our Devices Internal Storage. The next step is to navigate the system file...it should be towards the bottom. Now enter the system file and scroll to the bottom..at the bottom there will be your build.prop. Be aware that there is also a file named build.prop.bak, we are not using that file so just leave it alone..and enter the regular build.prop. Open the build.prop, the device will prompt you to ask what editor you would like to use to view/edit the build.prop...just use the ES Note Editor.

Once in build.prop you can edit the following things:

-edit Android Version by locating ro.build.version.release= and changing the current Build Version.
    - Edit your Model # by locating ro.product.model= and changing your model #
    - change your product brand by locating ro.product.brand=

Please Note that if you change the product brand, the name MUST be in ALL LOWERCASE LETTERS!!!

Once you are done playing around, press menu, and then Save...now just exit the app and reboot your phone.
    Once your device reboots, go to Settings> About Phone/Device and see the changes! ;D

If you thought this tutorial helped you, please hit that thanks button!
    Thank you so much! :) and yeah I made this mainly to help the people who are new to android

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
    Very useful specifically for beginners like me! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
    Thanks dude, very noob friendly and useful :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
    You've got some other warnings, might as well add a warning not to mess with anything else, as doing so can put you in a boot loop. This is intended for noobs, after all.