Shield Tablet Open Source Factory Preinstalled

Search This thread

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
This is compiled from Nvidia's source using instructions found on this page Link

You need to have an unlocked bootloader and adb/fastboot.

Be aware this does not include any of nvidia's apps or google's frameworks/play store and is just plain android with no extras. (If someone can pull from their /system it may be helpful). I will try to add more later, but this should at least get any bricked tablets going until nvidia released a factory image.

______________Downloads_________________________________________________

Preinstalled

OTA0

_______________Directions___________________________________________________

Run flash.bat while unlocked/ screen on(if your computer hasn't been approved for adb yet), or while in bootloader.
Or flash each file in fastboot, instructions are in the nvidia link if you need more.

Last edited:

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
This is compiled from Nvidia's source using instructions found on this page Link

Be aware this does not include any of nvidia's apps or google's frameworks/play store and is just plain android with no extras. (If someone can pull from their /system it may be helpful). I will try to add more later, but this should at least get any bricked tablets going until nvidia released a factory image.

Preinstalled

OTA0

Run flash.bat while unlocked/ screen on(if your computer hasn't been approved for adb yet), or while in bootloader.
Or flash each file in fastboot, instructions are in the nvidia link if you need more.

Fixed my problem with WIFI not turning on at all, but is there an easy way for me to install gapps? Playing the waiting game for the factory img sucks....but Without even the playstore this tablets a lemon! hahaha any help would be awesome

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Fixed my problem with WIFI not turning on at all, but is there an easy way for me to install gapps? Playing the waiting game for the factory img sucks....but Without even the playstore this tablets a lemon! hahaha any help would be awesome

You'll have to root and push a gapps package into your root directory. We don't have a recovery unfortunately.

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
precisely...

yeah I normally just slap it in the sd card then boot into twrp and flash away but it's kinda hard at the moment. and even stock recovery is upside down and wont get past the android icon no matter the button combo. lol im SOL.
Pretty sure I received a Lemon Tablet though out of the box. Wifi Was really choppy, but then I factory reset it and wifi was just completely gone. but this reenabled the wifi...thank god. but no playstore/google account is a huge bummer! lmao
I appreciate the fast response though man! I'm not stupid with android, but dummy stock makes me scratch my head. I can throw adb commands all day but I just cant push install them for some reason...maybe im just rtarded

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I had some issues just pushing too, try using these commands.

Code:
adb root
adb remount

(from inside the extracted gapps folder) 
adb push system /system

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
WORKED!

Thanks man! Went perfectly smooth! I forogot about pushing the full folder like that. Havent had to do it inna while but yeah man it went smooth as day! Thanks! now to just wait for the factory img...lol
BTW do you know what I have to rename the tablet under about device to make it look as the shield tablet to the playstore? I was using grid when the wifi crapped but I cant use grid as it says my device isnt supported.

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Thanks man! Went perfectly smooth! I forogot about pushing the full folder like that. Havent had to do it inna while but yeah man it went smooth as day! Thanks! now to just wait for the factory img...lol
BTW do you know what I have to rename the tablet under about device to make it look as the shield tablet to the playstore? I was using grid when the wifi crapped but I cant use grid as it says my device isnt supported.

I'm not sure exactly what it needs to be changed to, if someone could get a dump of the stock rom it would help. I tried to see if someone could get me a dump, but I've had no luck yet.

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
I hear yuh. Yeah I'm no help onna dump at the moment. If somebody could post even a screen shot of their about tablet I can rename the stuff directly. I use ROM Toolbox Pro and use the build prop editor. You just rename the builds to the stock nvidia one and you should be golden as the play store reads it as stock nvidia android...I think...I had to do it with the kindle fire back in the day to make it look like a Nexus 7.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-09-20-51-23.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-09-20-51-23.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 199
  • Screenshot_2014-08-09-20-55-00.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-09-20-55-00.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Screenshot_2014-08-09-20-56-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-09-20-56-11.png
    226.1 KB · Views: 192

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I hear yuh. Yeah I'm no help onna dump at the moment. If somebody could post even a screen shot of their about tablet I can rename the stuff directly. I use ROM Toolbox Pro and use the build prop editor. You just rename the builds to the stock nvidia one and you should be golden as the play store reads it as stock nvidia android...I think...I had to do it with the kindle fire back in the day to make it look like a Nexus 7.

Yes, you should be able to change a few things to make it work. I think most of what you can se is cosmetic and you'll have to change the ro.build.fingerprint too if I'm not mistaken.

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
shield tabletiers

Hopefully someone who is rooted/stock is willing to send us some screen shots. I actually kinda prefer this build over the stock nvidia one...its a lot faster. Theres absolutely no lag...granted I use sd maid/unlocker, fstrim, and nova. But so far this rom has been great. And you cant beat that barebone feel of android! Although the nvidia optimizer is there its unavailable through the settings menu. You can tell how stuff is like in there but hidden. Theres pros and cons to both. I just need to get the right build props to make the playstore see this as the shield tablet. Youve been a great help bub btw I appreciate it.
It just sucks that my first experience with the shield tablet was a bad install of android out of the box? Thats the first time ive ever had a software related wifi failure. The only other time was eith my droid 2 back in the day. LOL

Btw Other Shield Tablet owners, this is the screenshot I need from YOU so i know what to change my props too. Im using rom toolbox pro, but the lite version allows adjustments too. All I need is the screenshot! Much appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-09-20-11-34.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-09-20-11-34.png
    251.5 KB · Views: 137

dcaplinger76

Sep 23, 2010
Oklahoma City
Hopefully someone who is rooted/stock is willing to send us some screen shots. I actually kinda prefer this build over the stock nvidia one...its a lot faster. Theres absolutely no lag...granted I use sd maid/unlocker, fstrim, and nova. But so far this rom has been great. And you cant beat that barebone feel of android! Although the nvidia optimizer is there its unavailable through the settings menu. You can tell how stuff is like in there but hidden. Theres pros and cons to both. I just need to get the right build props to make the playstore see this as the shield tablet. Youve been a great help bub btw I appreciate it.
It just sucks that my first experience with the shield tablet was a bad install of android out of the box? Thats the first time ive ever had a software related wifi failure. The only other time was eith my droid 2 back in the day. LOL

Btw Other Shield Tablet owners, this is the screenshot I need from YOU so i know what to change my props too. Im using rom toolbox pro, but the lite version allows adjustments too. All I need is the screenshot! Much appreciated!
u9u9y8u4.jpg

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
Thanks man!

Your awesome for the shots! So far no luck but ill cha ge the prkps from your next 2 also and ill post back!

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

Yep, stock and rooted

ejepypy8.jpg
9e3ame9e.jpg

I noticed what was wrong, after changing like 20 lines, including the fingerprint which SUCKED! The one that I needed to change was the ro.product.build!
I had it, just by guessing at SHIELD TABLET, and while my gf and I were lookingat it I randomnly noticed that it was SHIELD Tablet, and not SHIELD TABLET! I REBOOTED AND IT WORKED!! YOU SIR, ARE AWESOME!! I appreciate the help!! And Keith, when you built the img's I noticed you put your name in them? You should just change that one line to SHIELD Tablet, and you'll basically have you're own rom with the playstaore recognizing your tablet as the Shield Tablet! Thanks guys, a million!

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Your awesome for the shots! So far no luck but ill cha ge the prkps from your next 2 also and ill post back!

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

I noticed what was wrong, after changing like 20 lines, including the fingerprint which SUCKED! The one that I needed to change was the ro.product.build!
I had it, just by guessing at SHIELD TABLET, and while my gf and I were lookingat it I randomnly noticed that it was SHIELD Tablet, and not SHIELD TABLET! I REBOOTED AND IT WORKED!! YOU SIR, ARE AWESOME!! I appreciate the help!! And Keith, when you built the img's I noticed you put your name in them? You should just change that one line to SHIELD Tablet, and you'll basically have you're own rom with the playstaore recognizing your tablet as the Shield Tablet! Thanks guys, a million!

It automatically uses the user name @ PC name when you build from source. Good to know :)

Sent from my wx_na_wf using XDA Free mobile app

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
It automatically uses the user name @ PC name when you build from source. Good to know :)

Sent from my wx_na_wf using XDA Free mobile app

Oh! No big deal! Your name is still all in it. Its just the one line, I assume, thats seperating the playstore from recgonizing it as the shield tablet! Lol

Gilbot

Jul 29, 2010
Milpitas
This build has external sdcard issues. My 128 GB SD card shows as damaged, every other ROM with sdcard support (including stock) works fine. I'd love to be able to use a pure android build on the tab, any chance of making another build?

EDIT: seems to have issues with exfat formatted cards, works fine with sdcards formatted as fat32 ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Preinstalled

OTA0