No Flash Support for Android (Aug 15th)

Search This thread

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
Devices that don’t have the Flash Player provided by the manufacturer typically are uncertified, meaning the manufacturer has not completed the certification testing requirements. In many cases users of uncertified devices have been able to download the Flash Player from the Google Play Store, and in most cases it worked. However, with Android 4.1 this is no longer going to be the case, as we have not continued developing and testing Flash Player for this new version of Android and its available browser options. There will be no certified implementations of Flash Player for Android 4.1.

Beginning August 15th we will use the configuration settings in the Google Play Store to limit continued access to Flash Player updates to only those devices that have Flash Player already installed. Devices that do not have Flash Player already installed are increasingly likely to be incompatible with Flash Player and will no longer be able to install it from the Google Play Store after August 15th.

The easiest way to ensure ongoing access to Flash Player on Android 4.0 or earlier devices is to use certified devices and ensure that the Flash Player is either pre-installed by the manufacturer or installed from Google Play Store before August 15th. If a device is upgraded from Android 4.0 to Android 4.1, the current version of Flash Player may exhibit unpredictable behavior, as it is not certified for use with Android 4.1. Future updates to Flash Player will not work. We recommend uninstalling Flash Player on devices which have been upgraded to Android 4.1.

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/06/flash-player-and-android-update.html

asb123

Dec 15, 2009
Vancouver
Works on 4.1 for now. Just side load in the future

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

zephiK

Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
Works on 4.1 for now. Just side load in the future

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Agreed. Sooner or later, Adobe Flash Player will break but honestly.. I never even touch Flash content on my phone anyways. So it's not a big deal for me but for some people, it will be.

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
I'm not concerned about flash support for my phone, but it's a bit of a kick in the balls for the upcoming nexus 7.

Sent from my Cyanogenmodded GNex

Theshawty

Feb 13, 2011
With the world slowly moving over to HTML5, which in my opinion is far better, it's no suprise that Google's slowly killing adobe flash player on Android devices

Camazza

Jun 23, 2009
Rovigo
Finally. I'm sick and tired of people reviewing Android phones complaining about how the browser is slow.

live4nyy

Mar 5, 2011
I don't even have Adobe Flash installed on my phone now.

HTML5 FTW. :victory:

Nilsonf

Nov 16, 2011
With the world slowly moving over to HTML5, which in my opinion is far better, it's no suprise that Google's slowly killing adobe flash player on Android devices

It wasn't Google's choice. Adobe decided they don't wanna work on flash anymore

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

clay101eve

Jul 8, 2010
Hewitt, TX
Read that the other day, it's kind of sad really, sering a technology I grew up with die.

Clay

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

zephiK

Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
Read that the other day, it's kind of sad really, sering a technology I grew up with die.

Clay

Things come and go. Just like VHS players and CD players :)
.... too bad Adobe won't release source for Flash Player for Android for someone to randomly come and support Flash for Android... for those who are fully into using flash on their devices (especially tablets).

renaud

Aug 18, 2010
Braine-l'Alleud

Clay

Flash is a crap plugin of another time, it was bound to die. Actually, I am impressed it lasts so long.
Either adobe opens up the source for the flash player, making it a so called standard, either it dies. The latter being more probable.