[NIGHTLY/KERNEL][USER] UNOFFICIAL CM9 + 3.0.x Kernel for K-Fire [3.0.31+ 06-28]

Search This thread

minieod

Jun 24, 2010
San Diego, CA
Not an excuse. For future reference, at the top of the thread is a "Search this thread" button. I use it all the time, it's good for referencing information.

I know that exists but I'm posting on my kindle and the mobile app doesn't have a search feature (that I know of at least)

Plus what do you search for for my question? Can't put a question in....forum searches are for single or phrase entries.

I figured a question about the development of the kernel was OK for this thread, but seems my post was deleted anyways...

Oh well....such is xda

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using XDA

seishuku

Jan 1, 2010
Midwest
you want to share?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium
Sure, I assume you know how to boot a boot.img with fastboot to test it?
Even though it works fine on my Kindle, it would be a good idea to test before you flash it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?6iqv9xpk7ukdjx6

If a device doesn't work, just pop open a terminal and run dmesg, the kernel will tell you what the current usage is, if it fails.
Would it help to mount them read only? Just wondering if they need more power if mounted read-write?

No, the circuit will use the same current, but the problem is that the devices are using too much power before you can even mount it, so it doesn't help.

Reactions: lovejoy777

southbird

Feb 12, 2010
the problem is that the devices are using too much power before you can even mount it, so it doesn't help.

I would think this is a constant for purely digital devices; obviously hard drives require more current initially to spin up, but can flash drives actually somehow be "delicately" commanded to use less power?

seishuku

Jan 1, 2010
Midwest
Not really, its just how USB works... the device is designed around a power requirement, so that's what it requests.
However, there is a quirk in the Linux kernel that takes the device's power requirement and doubles it as a safety check for devices that have bad power descriptions, which doesn't work quite well with small OTG capable devices where a port can only supply so much.
That's what I changed in my kernel above.

leswgnr

Feb 3, 2012
New York
About the flutter on wakeup, it reminds me of that cool effect Android used to have when turning the screen off, like an old CRT tv. I was just wondering where did that go?

And can we have that too? (I am aware I may sound like a kid wanting to have everything, but wth!)

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using XDA

Bump 1. Of all the unimportant things we need, this is the one I want too.

Reactions: mrl515

dogbreath

Mar 10, 2007
I've tried two roms and searched around but no one has mentioned a trouble I have. The touch control seems erratic after some boots. I gather this is common. Just checking that I'm not missing anything.

Blinding work, starting to use ics more than my iPad

lovejoy777

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
Sure, I assume you know how to boot a boot.img with fastboot to test it?
Even though it works fine on my Kindle, it would be a good idea to test before you flash it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?6iqv9xpk7ukdjx6

If a device doesn't work, just pop open a terminal and run dmesg, the kernel will tell you what the current usage is, if it fails.

No, the circuit will use the same current, but the problem is that the devices are using too much power before you can even mount it, so it doesn't help.

tried but put me in a boot loop?
I tried 2xdownloads?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

ma.da.ladla

Apr 13, 2012
this keyboard is working only without any powered hub or resart
its dany chinese keyboard which requires less power but usb flash drive is not working till now i think its kernel side fault
hash should look into this
keyboard is working great

Sent From my Kindle Fire
Setup:Details are Below
Cm7 Barebones+Raven's Kernel
Minimum:300 Higher 1200mhz
Go launcher Ex With MIUI Theme
Games:MC3,Fifa 2012,Real Racing 2,Stick Cricket,Gangster Rio....
Apps:Mx Video Player,JetVid,Titanium Backup,Opera Mobile,Dolphin HD,Adobe Reader

lovejoy777

Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
Oops, sorry about that, I grabbed the wrong image. That one had a few things I was trying out.

Here's the right one:
http://www.mediafire.com/?u6g8ncu81bf1xc2

no good it just boots/doesn't boot to a black screen:-(

---------- Post added at 02:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 AM ----------

do we still need the workaround for cpu not sleeping ie turning off lockscreen sound etc with #8?

lovejoy777

Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
2o mins. its almost like it powers the kindle off as one touch of the power button reboots it.

ill try another dl incase it was bad:)

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
no good it just boots/doesn't boot to a black screen:-(

---------- Post added at 02:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 AM ----------

do we still need the workaround for cpu not sleeping ie turning off lockscreen sound etc with #8?

Yes. It does help sleep. And its a larger issue for other devices as well.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Reactions: lovejoy777

twa_priv

Feb 10, 2011
I have a new full ROM build which includes the #8 kernel and the volume mod up on rombot here:
http://rombot.droidhive.com/ROMs/otter/cm9/

Note that this was more of a test than anything, to see how an automated build would look.

I'm still working on the kernel, etc.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6
Hey Hash,

What do you mean by automated build? Just compiling from the latest sources using your local_manifest?

If so then this works fine including the automated kernel build - I'm building my own slightly modified kangs since quite some time without any issues. I also now forked your android_frameworks_base repo (and merged in the latest CM changes) to get the volume slider and remove bluetooth + notifications toggle.

All works like a charm ... thanks so much for your work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NEW KERNEL IS CHARGING. OS DOESN'T SHOW THE CHARGING ICON.
    Make sure when you plug in to check the Settings -> Battery screen and see "Charging"

06-28: KERNEL.ZIP #13 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): REMOVED TEMP
    (Recompiling w/o Linaro for compatibility)
    md5sum: a16c281fa3dbe0962c6dc2c03e6df5bc
    Full ROM: http://bit.ly/NaD2vW
    md5sum: d9dfe6f5f97eadbeaecc86d0314cb80e
    - Mainline Linux 3.0.31 updates
    - TI kernel 3.0.21 branch updates
    - [ROM-Only] Now w/ "OtterParts where the touchscreen filter setting can be set (0 as default, but 30 is very usable) -- (Scott Brady)
    - Built using Linaro toolchain
    - Added KRAIT optimizations (not sure how effective yet) (twa_priv)

NOTE: I haven't adjusted the nightly server to use the 3.0.31 kernel OR Linaro yet. This is the only ROM link I've built with it in it.

[06-27-2012] UNOFFICIAL NIGHTLY SERVER IS RUNNING:
    DOWNLOAD HERE
    GApps: http://goo.im/gapps (4/29 is the latest in the CM9 row)
    These builds are using a stock framework which includes the volume slider mod. It's kept up-to-date by twa_priv.

STEPS FOR UPDATING:
    1. Download .zip file from the nightly server and place on your device
    2. Reboot into recovery and apply .zip
    3. If coming from any ROM which is not CM9 please wipe data/cache/Dalvik Cache
    4. Reboot and enjoy

LATEST CHANGES:
    [06-26-2012] Added sbradymobile's touch filter patch + OtterParts for controlling the filter level (30 recommended, default as 0 for now) (under Settings -> Advanced) [THANKS!]

SOLO KERNEL NOTES:

06-08: KERNEL.ZIP #12 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/KPbDVm
    md5sum: e7476ff785b2dfbdb062e1cc036c14ac
    - Touchscreen driver changes (event optimization, ICS friendly)
    - Updated the WLAN driver to R5.00.18 (up from R5.00.5)
    - Cleaned up the charger code some more (part of on-going charger work)
    - Added more support for PPTP and L2TP connections
    - [NEW 06/08] Added CCMP support used in 802.11i for EAPOL/WPA2/IPSEC connections using 4-way handshakes (Will fix some users who can't connect to wifi at certain locations)

TROUBLESHOOTING FOR USB not being recognized in Windows 7 (while the Kindle is *NOT* plugged into computer):
    - Open Device Manager
    - Right-click your computer name and select "Show Hidden Devices"
    - The top device group should be: Android device(or phone): under it "Android ADB Composite device"
    - Right-click on that and select uninstall
    - Now plug the Kindle back into the computer and let driver re-install

IF FOR SOME REASON WIFI DOESN'T WORK ON THE FIRST BOOTUP DO THE FOLLOWING:
    Enter Terminal Emulator
    Type: su
    Type: fix-mac.sh
    Exit Terminal Emulator
    Reboot

THIS ROM SHOWS OFF HOW WELL ICS CAN RUN ON THE KINDLE FIRE.
    ** READY FOR DAILY USE **

If I had just installed this ROM and I wanted to see something that might not work in the stock-kernel based ICS ROM, then I'd try the following:
    - Install "Chrome Beta" from the market and test it out.
    - Audio is more stable.
    - Launcher is smoother due to full PVR graphic support
    - Try YouTube!

For user support, look to this thread! Please keep discussion here as to what works and what doesn't, etc.
    06-08: KERNEL.ZIP #12 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/KPbDVm
    md5sum: e7476ff785b2dfbdb062e1cc036c14ac
    - Touchscreen driver changes (event optimization, ICS friendly)
    - Updated the WLAN driver to R5.00.18 (up from R5.00.5)
    - Cleaned up the charger code some more (part of on-going charger work)
    - Added more support for PPTP and L2TP connections
    - [NEW 06/08] Added CCMP support used in 802.11i for EAPOL/WPA2/IPSEC connections using 4-way handshakes (Will fix some users who can't connect to wifi at certain locations)
    I think we can safely agree that the charger driver has issues and it's being worked on. And that each user should ensure that their device charges correctly without the aid of seeing the charging icon in the status bar.

The details are really irrelevant.

ONCE AGAIN KEEP IT CIVIL. WHICH MEANS: don't accuse each other of lying, call each other names, or use otherwise inflammatory remarks.

While rude and insensitive, its also mucking up my thread which is supposed to be a useful resource.

I say this as someone who religiously pages through almost every thread in this area and often could respond badly to poorly worded kernel demands, etc. It doesn't take much to turn a well intentioned post into something worse. And sometimes its due to language barriers or other issues which are beyond control.

A thick skin is almost a requirement in any public forum setting.

/rant

On a side note the new driver is working with the OS: I get a charging icon when plugging in. Now on to removing the extra battery device, fixing suspend and a pleathora of mode switch issues.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
    TEST BUILD #3 IS READY HERE: http://bit.ly/IShcSq

There are 2 changes for this build:
    - HW Codecs are now working.
    - Kernel included in this build is running "silicon type performance" mode. Meaning it's a stock overclock to 1.2 Ghz. Please test this as well.

If you have ANY issues with the 1.2 Ghz speed and want to step back down to 1.0 Ghz do the following:
    - Enter "Settings"
    - Choose "Performance" (at the bottom)
    - Click "Ok"
    - Select "Processor" (the first item on the right)
    - Choose "Maximum CPU frequency"
    - Set this to 1008
    - Then check the "Set on boot" option
    05-10: KERNEL.ZIP #9 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/Iz9J4s
    md5sum bb453c85f7155cea3fab1c83cae65c73
    [ FULL STOCK CM9 ROM AVAILABLE HERE: http://bit.ly/JC6UBT ]
    md5sum 0d7677af67501b0f467130016fb1f928
    - updated PVR/graphics drivers for bugfix (same version 1.8@869593): fixes slight text corruption in at 270 degree rotation and memory leak
    - cleanup work on backlight driver, still flashes on resume slightly (Icemank121)
    - cpu governor: conservative cherry-pick improvment patches (Entropy512)
    - [ROM ONLY] Wifi netloc (GPS) working! (Entrophy512)
    - wifi .ini file change to TQS_S_2.6.ini (doesn't have 5ghz settings like the other)
    - [ROM ONLY] Volume increase (Kuzma30), updated CM9 build, reboot recovery fix, included volume slider, and commented out "survey data missing!" in wpa_supplicant_8, higher quality bootanimation

DEV NOTES: ROM Build is now fixed so that PVR modules are built with the kernel.