[APP][4.0+][2016/10/05 2.90]Photo Frame&Grid Widget

Search This thread

itandy

Apr 28, 2010
Hong Kong
Here is how the widget looks like on my phone (SGS3) resized to 4x5

In this first image, you can notice that the bottom row of thumbnails is cut more than half (the widget is actually showing the top of the 7th row)

screenshot2012090909422.png

When scrolling down a bit within the widged, the setting is just perfect (the 7th row of thumbnails is no more visible), as shown in this second picture below

screenshot2012090909424.png

When scrolling back up, the visual setting is again like in the first picture. So the more you scroll down, the wider the horizontal spread between thumbnails.

Another issue I have here is that pictures shown in the thumbnails are not centered but showing only the left side of the pics.
In my exemple I chose a folder containing only icons, ie small png files (that the thumbnails in the widged are actually enlarging).
When picking a folder with jpg photos (ie large image files) I don't get this bug: photos are well centered

Keep the good work!

Thank you for your comments!

The first issue is a bit difficult to tackle since the widget is now using a standard Android GridView which controls how grids are aligned automatically. I too found that it doesn't always align them consistently, especially after scrolling up and down.

For the thumbnail issue, can you tell me the dimensions of your icons? I have a folder of icons myself but cannot replicate the problem.

itandy

Apr 28, 2010
Hong Kong
Works okay on my phone (which is based on the Photon 4G, mine is the 3G variant). Seems to only browse internal memory (\storage\sdcard0). I've got pictures I'd like to use in \storage\sdcard1 (my SD card) and your app can't see them.

Widget is 4x4 but my desktop is 5x4. Nova supports resizing in the free version, and when resized to 5x4, your widget performs as it should.

Browsing speed could be a little faster, but you may not have any control over that.

Also, when browsing for a folder, folders shouldn't appear empty. Show the pictures inside as thumbnails when setting up the widget.

Have you tried to use the first option in the config screen to select your external storage? It's a bit subtle now. I'll try to improve the user interface later.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-09-10-18-46-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-10-18-46-48.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 296

itandy

Apr 28, 2010
Hong Kong
New version 1.01 published to Play store.

- New option to skip preview image and launch external viewer directly
- Unified external storage and album folder selections into a single option
- Adjust preview image size for large screen devices

Surfinette

May 23, 2010
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
Great job with v 1.0.1

Thanks

The only (minor) issue is that my icons are still not centered but aligned to the left as in the example I posted a couple of days ago.

The icon set is called Ares VS (if I remember correctly, I found them on the deviant art website). The icons are 118 pixels in height and 120 pixels in width.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

itandy

Apr 28, 2010
Hong Kong
Public testing for next version

I'm now working on a new version and require some testers to see if the new build works fine on different devices (phones and tablets). The new x2 thumbnail size is designed for tablet since I found that the original size is way too small on my friend's Novo 7". The original (small) thumbnail layout is also redesigned so I hope the previous alignment issue (after scrolling up/down) can be fixed.

I'd really appreciate if you could post your screenshots here so I can see how it looks on your device.

- New option to select thumbnail size (x1 or x2)
- Thumbnail is now a square which I think looks much cooler
- Removed thumbnail margin
- Reduced thumbnail file size considerably (performance might improve too)

** please clear previous cache file in the config screen **

Attachments

• Screenshot_gridview_x1.jpg
    Screenshot_gridview_x1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Screenshot_gridview_x2.jpg
    Screenshot_gridview_x2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 250
  • PhotoGridWidget_1.02_09160025.apk
    471.1 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
Reactions: vitalsh189

vitalsh189

Jul 25, 2011
My screenshots. Galaxy tab 2 10.1
Very useful. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-09-16-10-14-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-16-10-14-57.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 213
  • Screenshot_2012-09-16-10-15-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-16-10-15-25.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 202

Surfinette

May 23, 2010
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
Hi,

Congratulations for v1.0.2:
- Squared thumbnails is a great idea
- My icons are now correctly centered
- The vertical separation between thumbnails now remains the same when scrolling up and down (well actually there is no separation at all!)

Now, I would still suggest a number of visual improvement:
1) Vertical pictures are not rotated
2) There is no horizontal separation between thumbnails, while there are vertical ones. I guess it would look nicer with no separation at all for both vertical and horizontal, or the same thickness for V and H
3) The overall grid is not centered but aligned to the left (there is a thick black separation to the right and none to the left)
4) Ideally, it would be great to have only a integer number of thumbnails... Couldn't you auto-adjust the overall vertical grid size by adding transparent borders at the top and bottom so that we get exactly the right number of thumbnails
5) Could you also make a 1.5x1.5? :)

Here is how v1.0.2 looks on my SGS3 (with widget resized to 4x5 from 4x4):

gridwidgetv102.jpg

Last edited:

itandy

Apr 28, 2010
Hong Kong
1) Vertical pictures are not rotated
Let me see how I can implement it. Good idea.

2) There is no horizontal separation between thumbnails, while there are vertical ones. I guess it would look nicer with no separation at all for both vertical and horizontal, or the same thickness for V and H
3) The overall grid is not centered but aligned to the left (there is a thick black separation to the right and none to the left)
4) Ideally, it would be great to have only a integer number of thumbnails... Couldn't you auto-adjust the overall vertical grid size by adding transparent borders at the top and bottom so that we get exactly the right number of thumbnails
I'm afraid a very precise positioning for the thumbnails for all devices is not possible, given the current Android SDK. As you can see from my screenshot for HTC IncS, the grids are quite nicely spaced with almost no space between them. But when applied to another device, the result will be largely different, thanks to different implementation of another launcher as well as different screen dimension and density of another device.

5) Could you also make a 1.5x1.5?
I can definitely add another option to fit 3 thumbnails in 4 grids.

Once again, thanks for your time to test the new build. :good:

itandy

Apr 28, 2010
Hong Kong
Public beta for next version

All features for next version have been frozen and implemented (somewhat).

- New option to select thumbnail size (x1 or x2)
- Thumbnail is now a square which I think looks much cooler
- Removed thumbnail margin
- Reduced thumbnail file size considerably (performance might improve too)
- New option to select display order
- You can now use any combination of thumbnail style and size for different widget instances

Before publishing to Play store, I'll also add two more thumbnail size (x1 and x2) specifically for HTC Sense launcher. The new sizes are too big to fit into Rosie but fine with AOSP launchers.

Please report any bugs to me by whatever ways you like. If possible, please also post your screenshot here.

If you want to be a tester for future release, please PM me your email and the devices you have. I really need more people with different devices to test out new builds. :crying:

Attachments

• PhotoGridWidget_1.02_09190013.apk
    472.6 KB · Views: 199

itandy

Apr 28, 2010
Hong Kong
New version 1.10 just published to Play market.

1.10 (Please re-add your widgets)
New option to choose thumbnail sizes (some optimized for HTC launcher)
Changed thumbnail dimension to square instead of portrait
New option to choose display order
You can now use different thumbnail style, size and other settings for different widget instances independently
Bug fixes and performance optimization

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
How difficult would it be to honor image orientation? I am a portrait shooter about 90% of the time, as such the widget looks bad with most of my shots facing the wrong way... thanks.

Surfinette

May 23, 2010
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
New version 1.10 just published to Play market.

1.10 (Please re-add your widgets)
New option to choose thumbnail sizes (some optimized for HTC launcher)
Changed thumbnail dimension to square instead of portrait
New option to choose display order
You can now use different thumbnail style, size and other settings for different widget instances independently
Bug fixes and performance optimization

Congratulations for 1.10.
The 1.5 thumbnail size is great
Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

chw9999

Dec 29, 2006
Bensheim
Hi, veeeery nice widget, thanks so much :)

I have the EVO 3D and tons of mpo and jps stereo pics, could you support these as well? Right now showing nothing...

Cheers

Gesendet mit EVO 3D/coolexe

itandy

Apr 28, 2010
Hong Kong
How difficult would it be to honor image orientation? I am a portrait shooter about 90% of the time, as such the widget looks bad with most of my shots facing the wrong way... thanks.

I have no idea right now. I guess if there's such orientation information in the file header, then I can make use of that. I need to do some research on that first.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

itandy

Apr 28, 2010
Hong Kong
Hi, veeeery nice widget, thanks so much :)

I have the EVO 3D and tons of mpo and jps stereo pics, could you support these as well? Right now showing nothing...

Cheers

Gesendet mit EVO 3D/coolexe

I just made a new test build with support for MPO and JPS. For JPS, only the left portion of the image will be used for the thumbnail. Please let me know if it works properly for your files.

Attachments

• PhotoGridWidget_1.11_09221702.apk
    480 KB · Views: 48

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** Formerly known as Photo Grid/Frame Widget. Due to complaint of infringement for the trademark "PHOTOGRID", I had to rename it to Photo Frame&Grid Widget. Hopefully, it doesn't infringe any other trademarks. **

Besides, please uninstall any versions older than 2.83 before installing the new version (2.83) because a new package name is assigned and your Android device will treat it as a separate app.

This is my first Android app. Basically I want to replicate the grid-style photo widget from HTC so it can be used by other phones or in AOSP ROM.

I developed the widget and tested it on my HTC Incredible S. If you're interested, please install it in other phones of different brand and screen size. If you encounter any issues, please feel free to report here or give me a PM. Or if you have any request for new features, I'll also consider in future versions.

Features:
    • Resizable & scrollable grid view / photo frame mode / stack mode
    • Support lockscreen widget in JellyBean (Android 4.2 and up)
    • Configurable slideshow interval for frame mode
    • Supports JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP, MPO, JPS for image files
    • Support 3GP, MP4, TS, WEBM, MKV for video files (http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html)
    • Configurable file types & filename filter
    • Selectable photo album from internal/external storage
    • Individual file selection
    • Can choose a specific installed app to launch for full screen image view or video playback
    • Image file details in preview mode (Filename, image dimension, file size and video duration)
    • Tween animation in frame mode (fade / slide) ** even better slide effect if navigation arrows are hidden **
    • Support different settings in multiple widget instances
    • Two different image styles - Scale whole image / Crop to fit
    • User define image border width and color
    • Thumbnail size options
    • Display order options
    • Limit the maximum no of photo files to show. Default is 50.
    • App to change widget settings on the fly
    • Tasker integration
    • Requires ICS (Android 4.0) or above

Permissions
    • WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE - store thumbnails for grid view to improve performance
    • READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE - read thumbnails for grid view
    • RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED - restart services for auto refresh and register alarm manager for slideshow
    • WAKE_LOCK - keep phone awake during background thumbnail generation
    • VIBRATE - vibrate when thumbnail is selected

Outstanding issues:
    • Due to a bug in Android 4.2.1 SDK, if you remove the widget in lockscreen, you need to remove its settings in the app as well manually. Fixed in 4.2.2 SDK.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gzplanet.photoframegridwidget

New release public testing

I've been working on a new release for the past month. Most of the UI have been rewritten to make use of ICS features and style. Besides, you can now change widget settings on the fly using a new application in app drawer.

Change log:
    - New config application to change widget settings on the fly. Find the new app shortcut in app drawer.
    - UI revamp to make use of ICS features (e.g. Action bar, Fragments, Holo theme). Click the icon on upper right corner to confirm settings instead of pressing the Back button.
    - Reduced package size

Please feel free to try on your phone or tablet and report if you encounter any issues.
    New release public testing

This release has lots of changes. Hope it doesn't break anything! :)

• Multiple folder support
    • Implemented fragment animation
    • New options to hide preview info individually (including navigation arrows)
    • Bug fixes
    Public testing for next version

As promised I just pulled together a new build with some cool features:

• New Stack Mode! - similar to Google Gallery stack widget but much cooler
    • Preview/frame photo animation - finally I managed to implement some animation in appwidget. You can select Fade or Slide animation in settings.
    • New border width and color selection for preview image and stack thumbnails

For the slide animation, if you disable arrow buttons, you'll see an enhanced version of the animation. Try it and see for yourself.

Currently I disable auto refresh function for stack mode because it doesn't work properly. Hopefully I can find a solution soon. I already have an idea, though.

Finally, I need to think of a new name for the widget. I just can't call it like "Photo Grid/Frame/Stack Widget". If you have any idea, please let me know. :confused:
    More more thing guys, I've something cool in development. Unfortunately my desktop GPU seems to be dying. I need to replace it. Might slow down the progress. Stay tuned.