[GUIDE][WIFI ONLY]Android 3.1 on Xoom WiFi, Root, via ClockworkMod Recovery

Search This thread

intensus

Jan 29, 2010
MX
Just work perfect for me, follow the step by step Tuto and its incredible faster 1.6 ghz with Tiamat's Update for 3.1 honeycomb. thanx a lot! No more fear to Stock images or Bricks.

MitchRapp

Aug 18, 2010
Montreal
Confirmed working on CANADIAN wifi-only xoom?
I'm on 3.0.1 right now using Tiamat 1.3.2 ... will have time to upgrade sometime Friday! (hope so anyways)

GrkEngineer

Mar 17, 2007
use stock IE browser, I think adblock hides it.

Also does anyone else have problems with market? i cant find some apps even tried using market enabler.
I'm also having problems with the market. I couldn't see an app that I developed. I originally thought it was due to my rooting/unlocking the device, but I now think it's an issue with the upgrade.

So here's what I found... Other Wifi Xoom users who haven't rooted or unlocked their Xoom could no longer see my app. They could see it with 3.0.1.
I originally loaded the Verizon 3G version of the ROM which was in another thread (dual use ROM). This ROM registered as a different configuration in the Market (stingray vs wingray). When running this version of 3.1 I was able to see my app along with the movies section of the market. When I switched to the Wifi specific version of 3.1 update I could no longer see my app.

I was able to make my app visible by removing copy protection and switching to the new license manager library. With this change I can now see my app on Wifi Xoom with 3.1.

I think Google doesn't have copy protected apps enabled for Wifi Xoom running 3.1. Perhaps a typo between the string in build.prop and what they have configured in their servers?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide may be obsolesced shortly, but it's still good reading for the curious. See [UPDATE][HC3.1] Wifi and 3G! Completely Flashable! No Fastboot Needed! No Data Loss. (thanks, bigrushdog)

WARNING: Following this procedure may damage or permamently destroy your device. This procedure is provided with NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Perform this procedure at your own risk.

COMPATIBILITY NOTE: I have personally tested this procedure ONLY ON THE US XOOM WIFI MZ604. If other devices (i.e., Euro Xoom WiFi) implement the same Android 3.1 update file, then this procedure *should* work; some users have reported success with UK and Canadian models (see this post for more info). Know, however, that you proceed at your own risk.

AWESOMENESS NOTE: Instead of copying files which you're going to adb push to the platform-tools directory every time, why not just add the directory to your PATH environment variable ("How to update your PATH")? That way, you can run adb from any directory you want.

3G GUINEA PIGS: I've edited the 3G version of the updater_script in the same way as the WiFi, but I don't have a 3G Xoom with which to test. IF YOU ARE FLASHING AND TROUBLESHOOTING SUPASTAH, please try the attached updater-script_UNTESTED_Xoom3G_Android3.1_Root_v03.zip(Updated!) with the MZ600 HRI66 stock images and Xoom 3G 3.1 Update ZIP. If it works, I'll update the guide to cover both devices. Please PM me your feedback, since a post might be easily buried in this thread. Thanks!

[size=+1]SUMMARY[/size]

Here's a run-down on the current procedure:
    • Updates the Xoom WiFi to Android 3.1 using ClockworkMod Recovery (update.zip)
    • Resolves issue in updater-script: get_prop ro.product.device wingray
    • Sets correct permission on su to enable functioning root
    • Flashes the recovery (version 03 persists CWM Recovery), boot (kernel), and system partitions to stock (required at this time)
    • Stock kernel means no SD Card in Honeycomb (still available in recovery), no overclocking until devs release 3.1 compatible kernels
    • Updates bootloader to include Recovery in the boot menu
    • Leaves user data intact

Outstanding Issues:
    • (FIXED in updater_script version 03) Recovery partition gets overwritten to stock on reboot: Edit updater-script to leave recovery partition intact
    • Too many steps: Include the edited updater-script, su, Superuser.apk in the update.zip

Now, without further ado...

[size=+1]ASSUMPTIONS[/size]

[size=+1]PROCEDURE[/size]
    1. Prepare the Android 3.1 Update file
      The update file as-provided is not ready for use in ClockworkMod Recovery. This fixes it. I could just include a link to a prepared update.zip file, but this is safer than trusting some dude with less than 20 posts on XDA. I'll upload one when I hit 25. :p
      • Rename the Android 3.1 Update file to update.zip
      • Open the zip file in an archive program for editing
      • Navigate to the following directory: META-INF/com/google/android
      • Delete the following file: updater-script
      • Copy the updater-script file from the ZIP file attached to this post to META-INF/com/google/android
    2. Flash stock system.img
      Prior to performing the actual update, the update script checks a number of files (including bcm4329.ko, which is usually built with the kernel) in /system. If any file doesn't match what's expected, the update halts. Flashing the stock system.img ensures a smooth update.
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      fastboot flash system system.img
      fastboot reboot
    3. Reconfigure superuser
      After flashing stock, we no longer have superuser/root access on our Xoom. By pushing and configuring these files, we restore our root capability without interfering with the pre-update checks. (thanks, Berzerker for catching missing symlink)
      Code:
      adb remount
      adb push su /system/bin/
      adb shell chown root.shell /system/bin/su
      adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
      adb shell ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
      adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
      adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk

4. Flash stock boot.img
      The pre-update checks also include the boot partition. We wait until now to flash the boot partition to stock because we need to perform adb remount earlier in the procedure, which we can't do with the stock boot.img. The actual update flashes this partition with a new kernel that implements the new 3.1 features.
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      fastboot flash boot boot.img
      fastboot reboot
    5. Perform update
      Code:
      adb reboot recovery
      Note that in recovery, you use the hardware volume buttons to navigate up and down, and the power button to select.
      • In ClockworkMod Recovery, select "mounts and storage"
      • Ensure your Xoom is connected to your PC via USB, then select "mount USB storage"
      • On your PC, copy update.zip to the root of the Xoom's SDCard ("Removable Disk" in Windows)
      • In ClockworkModRecovery (still on the "USB Mass Storage device" screen) select "Unmount"
      • In the "Mounts and Storage Menu" screen, if the option "unmount /sdcard" is present, continue to the next step; if "mount /sdcard" is present, select it then continue
      • Select "+++++Go Back+++++"
      • Select "apply update from sdcard"
      • Select "Yes - Install /sdcard/update.zip"

"Install from sdcard complete." will indicate that the update is completed.
      • Select "reboot system now"

New bootloader will install. The message, "Congratulation! Your bootloader was successfully upgraded" will be immediately followed by an automatic reboot.
    6. Enjoy your rooted Xoom WiFi, running on Android 3.1!

[size=+1]POST-UPDATE NOTES[/size]

• Custom kernels: As of 0730 11 May 2011, there are no kernels/boot.img that are compatible with the Android 3.1 update, though the devs are undoubtedly on it. Do not flash a custom kernel after performing this procedure unless you know that it's compatible with the 3.1 update.
    • Recovery: updater_script v03 no longer flashes stock recovery. If you ran a previous version of the update, please see this post by Berzerker on getting ClockworkMod Recovery to persist (thanks, Berzerker)
    works good on my canadian wifi xoom.

Just to note as indicated previously by others, for people who are running non usa xoom images, like canadian or euro ones, etc, you have to you have to flash the stock userdata.img to fix the endless boot cycle after you flashed the boot.img

fastboot flash userdata userdata.img

Note you will loose all your personal data on your xoom, as this basically wipes the system. Then reboot make sure you enable usb debugging after so you can adb reboot into the recovery to finish the upgrade.

also note that doing the upgrade in this thread sets your xoom into USA version, so you loose all the extra language support.
    Yes, but the official update won't flash in ClockwordMod Recovery unless it is modified, like the one in the OP of this thread. Posting the official version on this thread just adds to the confusion.

All he posted in the OP was a modified script, you still need to get the update.zip from Google.

The Google server is much much faster than the 3rd party download sites too.
    I made a flashable .zip of the WiFi Only version of the 3.1 update for the XOOM with external storage enabled. Here is the thread I just started. The file is hosted on mediafire:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1075260