SD Cards Which Do & Dont Work With The Defy

Search This thread

airwolf1544

Known not to work

Transcend 8GB Extreme-Speed Class 10 on CM7 2.3.5

This card:
1. formatted with Windows 7 using "Allocation unit size" Standard -> Known not to work
1. formatted with Windows 7 using "Allocation unit size" 32KB -> Known not to work
1. formatted with Windows 7 using "Allocation unit size" 64KB -> Known to work :cool: (after 1 hour of testing)

Maybe formating with 64KB is the solution.. can anyone test this with a "known not to work"-card?

Attachments

• greenshot_2011-08-19_13-05-09.jpg
    greenshot_2011-08-19_13-05-09.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 200

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
The main problems with getting a card to work with a bigger cluster size is that it seems to start to play up again in a few weeks :(

minomarimat

Jul 17, 2011
excuse me for asking a basic question, but what exactly is the effect of the sd card with respect to the processing speed/ performance of the Defy?

on topic, I have a Kingston 4gb class 4 sdhc, works just fine. I'm assuming that if I use a class 4 sdhc with a higher memory capacity, my Defy would work much better, faster. Am I right?

chancooluk

Feb 2, 2011
excuse me for asking a basic question, but what exactly is the effect of the sd card with respect to the processing speed/ performance of the Defy?

My 1st defy with a green lens was completely useless with any card other than the one it shipped with. Incompatible cards caused all sorts if issues on mine like freezing, cam not working, gallery broken, widgets not loading. The cards I used were of varying speeds and sizes, the only type I could use was a slow 2gb card.

Now im on my second defy after using a desire s for a few months till it died. My new one uses a red lens cam and appears to have no issues with any of the cards i've tried. I'm using a 16gb c6 samsung at the mo and its great.

Loving being back on a defy, although I do miss the aluminium ubibody... oh well

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App

alexemel

Dec 10, 2010
Moscow
Transcend 8 GB class 6 works fine (formated via win7), but sometimes card becomes read-only
pls help to solve this problem

kbxdauser2011

Aug 6, 2011
Sandisk 16GB SDHC is working fine for me on 2.1,2.2,CM7,MIUI

Sent from my MB525 using XDA Premium App
which class is that?...can u plz tell what speeds do u get on that Sandisk 16GB SDHC card?.... coz i'm geting a sandisk 16Gb sdhc class 4 card for my defy & i really dont know what speed should i expect from it?

Also can any1 tell me honestly would i get a lot of speed difference between using a Class 4, class6 & a class10 Sandisk 16GB SDHC card on my Red Lens Defy?....i'm a value conscious buyer,so if the speed difference is NOT that extreme, & using a class4 16GB SDHC card doesn't cause freezing,hanging,FC & other usability problems on my defy,then i might go for a class4 16gb card only,as the price difference between the different class cards is still much at my place.Though i would want the BEST performing card w/o problems anyday,still my budget rules at the end of the day...if performance issues r Not that extreme!

Can any1 guide me here...i want some honest feedbacks!

farsight73

Dec 29, 2010
Selangor
Same here. Transcend 16GB Class4. Work so good.

Sent from my awesome Moto Defy: Stock Rooted Gingerbread 2.3.4 - XDA Premium

vijayaprasad

Mar 11, 2011
which class is that?...can u plz tell what speeds do u get on that Sandisk 16GB SDHC card?.... coz i'm geting a sandisk 16Gb sdhc class 4 card for my defy & i really dont know what speed should i expect from it?

Also can any1 tell me honestly would i get a lot of speed difference between using a Class 4, class6 & a class10 Sandisk 16GB SDHC card on my Red Lens Defy?....i'm a value conscious buyer,so if the speed difference is NOT that extreme, & using a class4 16GB SDHC card doesn't cause freezing,hanging,FC & other usability problems on my defy,then i might go for a class4 16gb card only,as the price difference between the different class cards is still much at my place.Though i would want the BEST performing card w/o problems anyday,still my budget rules at the end of the day...if performance issues r Not that extreme!

Can any1 guide me here...i want some honest feedbacks!

Its class 4 n speed is
Write:5MB/s
Read:12MB/s

Sent from my MB525 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: kbxdauser2011

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
This it's what sd tools reports my class 6 samsung 16gb card, the setvsel card fix is applied but if still take it with a pinch of salt. The card has been 100% reliable for a number of weeks now

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1315345995932.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1315345995932.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 132

kbxdauser2011

Aug 6, 2011
Would a "Transcend Memory Card MicroSDHC 16GB Class 10 " work with my defy on stock 2.2 or for the matter cm7?
The Card:

If the above card does work,would such a class 10 card be giving speed like this :
Read : 17MBps
Write : started out with writing at 13.7MBps then finished with an average of 14.9MBps

If everything is OK as above,...should i buy this card for my defy?
Plz help here!!!

kbxdauser2011

Aug 6, 2011
now as i asked,is it Class 10?....this is more imp!,...as i have heard abt problems in working/operations/compatibility of many different brand class 10 cards in defy..
..also abt speed,is that what i can expect?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lets post what cards we do know work and the ones that don't because this is starting to cost people money just trying to find out. It is becoming apparent the faster the class the less likely the card will work. All class 2 and 4 cards seems to work, the majority of class 6 cards work but class 10 cards that work are few and far between.

The problems seem to be with the official moto release of 2.2, many had no problems with 2.1 so the issues are with the software not the hardware.

Known to work with 2.2

Samsung Plus 8GB class 6 (MB-MP8G) http://tinyurl.com/42fks93

Known not to work with 2.2

PNY 16GB class 10 http://tinyurl.com/4xywwue

Below is the speeds of the known working Samsung class 6 card.
    Known to Work
    SanDisk 8GB class 4 -> works very well and records smooth 720p videos:)
    Known to Work
    Memorette class 10 32GB card:)
    Very insteresting, I haven't had any of those issues with my Memorette class 10 32GB card. Tested with a good average speeds of 14MBps. I wanted a class 10 card in order to be future proof (HD recording etc).

Currently running the beta stock Orange Ginger (2.3) rom at 1GHz.

//Dave
    Just to add the problems seem to be more prevalent with the official 2.2 release, if you are using another ROM please specify.
    SanDisk 16gb class 4 and Transcend 16gb class 4. Works fine on me :)