Gps issues on KitKat ?

Search This thread

DireWolfZero

Aug 10, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
So I've been noticing my GPS takes a while to connect and when it does get a signal it constantly loses it and connects again.

Causing my GPS to think I'm turning down streets that I'm physically not, facing different directions and thinking I'm 5 blocks away from where my actual position is.

All my toggles are in the on position for GPS and I have the High Accuracy option selected.

Don't know what else it could be other then maybe the hardware going out? :'-(

Anyone else have this problem on stock XT926 kitkat?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

iBolski

So I've been noticing my GPS takes a while to connect and when it does get a signal it constantly loses it and connects again.

Causing my GPS to think I'm turning down streets that I'm physically not, facing different directions and thinking I'm 5 blocks away from where my actual position is.

All my toggles are in the on position for GPS and I have the High Accuracy option selected.

When you took the OTA to KitKat, did you just upgrade your existing configuration? You might want to look at wiping dalvik and cache first. If that doesn't work, then you might have to resort to a Factory Data Reset, which will wipe out all your settings, and see if that works. Usually, an issue like this points to stale files/settings/cache sitting around and if wiping cache/dalvik doesn't fix it, then usually an FDR fixes it. If the FDR doesn't fix it, then I would assume hardware issues or a bad OTA.

With the official FXD out now (http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=5), you could try flashing that to your phone via RSDLite or SamuriHL's House of Moto tool to see if a fresh flash of the official Kit Kat image will fix it.

If after that, the issue still persists, then I would definitely say it's a hardware issue. I haven't had any issues with the GPS on my phone.

Reactions: DireWolfZero

DireWolfZero

Aug 10, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
When you took the OTA to KitKat, did you just upgrade your existing configuration? You might want to look at wiping dalvik and cache first. If that doesn't work, then you might have to resort to a Factory Data Reset, which will wipe out all your settings, and see if that works. Usually, an issue like this points to stale files/settings/cache sitting around and if wiping cache/dalvik doesn't fix it, then usually an FDR fixes it. If the FDR doesn't fix it, then I would assume hardware issues or a bad OTA.

With the official FXD out now (http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=5), you could try flashing that to your phone via RSDLite or SamuriHL's House of Moto tool to see if a fresh flash of the official Kit Kat image will fix it.

If after that, the issue still persists, then I would definitely say it's a hardware issue. I haven't had any issues with the GPS on my phone.

Thank you for the reply. :) see when I upgraded i did a fresh flash. Completely wiped the phone and system and used the 183.46.10 fxz file and flashed it with RSDlite.

I'll try the other steps, wiping cache and dalvik. If that doesn't work I'll try flashing the fxz file again.

The thing I didn't do when I flashed the fxz file was regenerate the script with RSD script generator. I figured i just wanted to just save my data on my internal memory (photos, music etc) so I edited the original script my self and took out the (erase user data line)

Everything flashed over fine with no errors. now I'm wondering since I did that if it delete specific files.

I did format everything with twrp before the kitkat fxz update.

I'll try everything you mentioned before ruling out hardware though.

iBolski

Thank you for the reply. :) see when I upgraded i did a fresh flash. Completely wiped the phone and system and used the 183.46.10 fxz file and flashed it with RSDlite.

I'll try the other steps, wiping cache and dalvik. If that doesn't work I'll try flashing the fxz file again.

The thing I didn't do when I flashed the fxz file was regenerate the script with RSD script generator. I figured i just wanted to just save my data on my internal memory (photos, music etc) so I edited the original script my self and took out the (erase user data line)

Everything flashed over fine with no errors. now I'm wondering since I did that if it delete specific files.

No, that should work if you wanted to save data, but I do know that sometimes, that can cause issues and a full wipe is necessary.

When I upgrade from JB to KK, I had issues with not being able to use blue-toot and wifi together. I did a factory data reset (wipes everything, including user data and internal storage as well as the internal sd card) and things cleared up since then.

I back up my applications and their data weekly with Titanium Backup and then I push those to my Google Drive, so whenever I wipe my phone clean, I can restore it back to where it was with the exception of any downloaded data files that are needed (such as offline maps for my GPS app, etc). So, doing an FDR for me is not an issue and it definitely helps with performance.

If you have a way of backing up your application data (and if you need to, your text messages), I would suggest doing that and then doing an FDR before trying to FXZ again. I know FDR sucks in that it wipes everything out and you have to set things back up again (Google account, etc), but it seems to be the one thing that fixes a lot of the issues people see after upgrading to KK.

Good luck!

Reactions: DireWolfZero

DireWolfZero

Aug 10, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
No, that should work if you wanted to save data, but I do know that sometimes, that can cause issues and a full wipe is necessary.

When I upgrade from JB to KK, I had issues with not being able to use blue-toot and wifi together. I did a factory data reset (wipes everything, including user data and internal storage as well as the internal sd card) and things cleared up since then.

I back up my applications and their data weekly with Titanium Backup and then I push those to my Google Drive, so whenever I wipe my phone clean, I can restore it back to where it was with the exception of any downloaded data files that are needed (such as offline maps for my GPS app, etc). So, doing an FDR for me is not an issue and it definitely helps with performance.

If you have a way of backing up your application data (and if you need to, your text messages), I would suggest doing that and then doing an FDR before trying to FXZ again. I know FDR sucks in that it wipes everything out and you have to set things back up again (Google account, etc), but it seems to be the one thing that fixes a lot of the issues people see after upgrading to KK.

Good luck!

Just wanted to thank you for the help and suggestions.

Backed up my internal memory, flashed the fxz file again (this time I left in the erase user data line), booted up and did a factory reset, restored my apps with titanium, restored my important files to my internal memory and like magic the GPS is working again.

Took a drive around the city for a bit testing it. I also turned it on and off and it's still finding the signal.

Thank you very much :)

Reactions: iBolski

iBolski

Backed up my internal memory, flashed the fxz file again (this time I left in the erase user data line), booted up and did a factory reset, restored my apps with titanium, restored my important files to my internal memory and like magic the GPS is working again.

Took a drive around the city for a bit testing it. I also turned it on and off and it's still finding the signal.

Glad that fixed it for you. Usually, if nothing else works, FDR is my final resort and it hasn't failed me yet when things like this occur after updating.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good luck!

Good luck!