ORIGINAL Xbox Controller Used With Nexus 7

Search This thread

Dslrocks10

Sep 30, 2012
Indianapolis
Hey everyone, I recently bought an OTG cable off amazon along with a ps2 controller to USB adapter. Well, while waiting for my ps2 adapter to come in(OTG is already in my possession), I wanted a temporary solution.

I used to mod original xbox's and even make adapters to convert controllers to USB(Original xbox uses USB, just different shaped ports). Well, on windows you have to download special drivers that you have to find yourself due to your computer not being able to automatically install the controller. So, I figured the controller would be the same way on Android.

Well, I was wrong. what you do is strip an xbox controller's cable, or the break away cable(this is smarter due to the fact you can still use your controller later with another break away cable), and strip a usb cable (the male end still in tact) and simply wire the corresponding colors together(Green to green, red to red, black to black, white to white). Now the xbox controller has a 5th wire which is yellow, you can ignore that one.

So far this controller has been a good temporary solution for my wait. The L & R triggers don't work, but im not sure if that's an android issue or my controller just funked. Anyways if anyone has a spare xbox controller laying around and about 10-20 minutes of spare time, give this trick a go! Would love to see other people's results!

Games tested on:

GTA III
Modern Combat 3
Dead Trigger

opz187

Sep 30, 2012
Hey everyone, I recently bought an OTG cable off amazon along with a ps2 controller to USB adapter. Well, while waiting for my ps2 adapter to come in(OTG is already in my possession), I wanted a temporary solution.

I used to mod original xbox's and even make adapters to convert controllers to USB(Original xbox uses USB, just different shaped ports). Well, on windows you have to download special drivers that you have to find yourself due to your computer not being able to automatically install the controller. So, I figured the controller would be the same way on Android.

Well, I was wrong. what you do is strip an xbox controller's cable, or the break away cable(this is smarter due to the fact you can still use your controller later with another break away cable), and strip a usb cable (the male end still in tact) and simply wire the corresponding colors together(Green to green, red to red, black to black, white to white). Now the xbox controller has a 5th wire which is yellow, you can ignore that one.

So far this controller has been a good temporary solution for my wait. The L & R triggers don't work, but im not sure if that's an android issue or my controller just funked. Anyways if anyone has a spare xbox controller laying around and about 10-20 minutes of spare time, give this trick a go! Would love to see other people's results!

Games tested on:

GTA III
Modern Combat 3
Dead Trigger

I may try this.. Just curious, what did you snip to use as the male USB part?

silcharde

Mar 17, 2010

Games tested on:

GTA III
Modern Combat 3
Dead Trigger

Well I already have a XBOX to USB adapter, I guess that would save me the stripping right? (I'm at work, cant test it myself yet)

Telemachus

Nov 23, 2006
I too have an xbox to USB adapter from the old Xbox modding days. Plugged into my OT G adapter for the note 2 tonight, and no love on riptide GP or dead trigger.

is there anywhere where you can check to see if the Android is even detecting it?

do you need to help 6 axis controller or something installed?

Last edited:

bobbinthreadbare

May 12, 2012
This sounds pretty awesome. I modded the break away cable on one of my original Xbox controllers years ago so I could use it as a PC controller because I had extras. Now I just need to get an OTG cable.:cyclops:

subnet_zero

Dec 7, 2010
Frankfurt
I used this tutorial to mod my Xbox 1 controller a few days before: http://www.ocmodshop.com/how-to-use-an-xbox-controller-as-a-usb-pc-gamepad/

It works perfekt with my i9305 including the L & R triggers if you build you own driver with USB/BT Joystick Center 6: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.poke64738.usbjoy

You also can copy my config file to your folder USBJoyData and import it with USB/BT Joystick Center 6: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56411924/Xboxcontroller/Xbox1Controller_JoyPrefsFile_1118_645_0.zip

Tested with: Shadowgun

Brigaid

Aug 11, 2010
Using an original Xbox controller with USB adapter to OTG cable. GTA 3 doesn't work for me, sadly. I just get camera spin and some buttons do odd things.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Dslrocks10

Sep 30, 2012
Indianapolis
I too have an xbox to USB adapter from the old Xbox modding days. Plugged into my OT G adapter for the note 2 tonight, and no love on riptide GP or dead trigger.

is there anywhere where you can check to see if the Android is even detecting it?

do you need to help 6 axis controller or something installed?

You shouldn't need any third party software installed. As long as your devices supports usb hosting it should work. What Os version are you on?

Would this work on for the Motola Atrix Lapdock's full USB port? That would be pretty sick...

It should work! What Os version are you running?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

360porcento

Dec 4, 2011
WAAITTT!!

Stop! I got an idea: buy a extension cable instead of doing it with the original breakawy if you want to use it on the xbox again... something like this
I dont know if someone pointed tha out yet, I dont have time to read it now...

hygnos

Sep 2, 2012
Using an original Xbox controller with USB adapter to OTG cable. GTA 3 doesn't work for me, sadly. I just get camera spin and some buttons do odd things

That's normal. All you need to do is install USB/BT Joystick Center 6 and map the buttons to your needs. It also works perfectly on my rooted Galaxy Nexus

D

Deleted member 5009337

Simple question, but you are using the micro-usb slot right? Is it possible to charge and connect a controller at the same time?

Because well, I can't play games for any longer then 2hours, then my battery is dead.

Dslrocks10

Sep 30, 2012
Indianapolis
Simple question, but you are using the micro-usb slot right? Is it possible to charge and connect a controller at the same time?

Because well, I can't play games for any longer then 2hours, then my battery is dead.

There is a y cable I believe that can help you achieve this. I don't have the link or anything though :(

Would this work on other phones such as sony xperia p

As long as it supports otg!

Telemachus

Nov 23, 2006

Charging with otg is kernal specific. If you have a usb extender cable, cut it where you want the charging port to be and solder in a 'y' with a male end. Only red and black need be connected. Leave green and white alone for the charging plug in.

Plug power in first, then the controller, then attach to your device.

I made one to use thumb drive and charge while traveling.

Works great on galaxy s3 with lean kernal.

More about nexus 7 here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1934722

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Games tested on:

GTA III
    Modern Combat 3
    Dead Trigger
    where can i buy the controller :confused:

Amazon, ebay, used game store. Flea Market, pawn shop

Edit: if you buy it online you can also find a XBOX to USB adapter

Xbox 360 wired controller also works with otg cable and no drivers. Is anyone else using one? It was so easy (plug and play) I assumed it was common...it doesn't require any modification as 360 uses standard usb.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Games tested on:

GTA III
    Modern Combat 3
    Dead Trigger

Sorry for more necromancy. The reason some buttons don't work by default is the generic.kl file assignments don't match the codes output by some functions. The 360 one is close if you copy it to the V_ID_P_ID.kl that matches the ids of the controller (requires r/w to /system of course), everything except Black and White works when doing so. Attached is the my modified version after figuring out those, also switched the back button from BACK to BUTTON_SELECT since while the former matches the name, the latter is probably what's intended since it's a gamepad button rather than invoking the system back command. http://paste.ubuntu.com/7227510/ . To use, needs to be saved to /system/usr/keylayout, Vendor_045e_Product_0202.kl in my case but the PID part would be different if not a Duke, VID if it isn't first party Microsoft. Third party controllers should output the same codes and work if saved to the right place I think