Finally fixed my battery drain

Search This thread

Jack Barrett

Jul 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Hi. After months of searching and no luck I finally found what caused my battery drain. I had strong overheating near the camera so I decided to search a bit on that. Turned out MicroSD problem. I had ~20.000 files on it (and search indexing was doing all this crap). People reported overheating gone after removing the SD. I deleted the files and voila - no more overheating and drain for me. Its back to the normal battery life when I bought it. It used to drain 5% every 10 minutes before. Many of you probably know this but I thought it may help someone.

Last edited:

rob419

Nov 3, 2012
pittsburgh
Hmm.. What size sd did you have installed? What's your rig? What manufacturer, sd?
I have experienced the over heating as well.. Right underneath the camera lens. And yes, more noticeable when playing games.. (that possibly have data stored on sd)

Note 3, rooted, stock ROM
Galaxy gear 1, rooted, null_rom, stock launcher

.werd.

Yes, that happens. It's been mentioned in the quite numerous battery threads around here repeatedly.

- You may have one or more corrupt files. Hook the card up to a computer (via a cardreader or slot) and do a global search for 0kb files on it. Delete all 0kb media files (ignore the playlists and .nomedia.)

- Drop a .nomedia file in every folder you don't need to see in your gallery, Stock video or Stock musicplayer. This tells mediascanner to skip that folder. It applies to all subfolders as well, so dropping one in your ebook folder is enough to exclude all folders within that folder. (so anything containing stored maps, documents, textfiles, apks, appfiles (you can safely srop one in the Android folder, if Android hasn't already done so.), books, etc canbe safely excluded. If you find you need the folder shown somewhere after all, just delete the file.)

You can copy the ones already existing in several folders on the phone (Android creates them.). May need to enable hidden files first.

For instance, I have one folder containing a total of 24.238 files in 1.439 folders. These are all saved websites for documentation when I don't have internet access. Before I dropped a .nomedia file in my 'Websites' folder, my battery drained within a mere few hours, and the phone always ran hot. Dropped a .nomedia file in there, problem solved. Indexingservice skips the folder entirely, and I can access it via the filemanager (ES in my case, but stock works too.)

The Stock players rely on the Indexingservice. If you use an alternative music player, you can also add one to your music library. (Keep in mind this might disable the album arts. On N7 it works fine, haven't tested the rest.) Quickpic can be set to show folders hidden by a .nomedia file.

Videoplayers use Indexingservice, so adding a .nomedia file to the video folders excludes them from the videoplayers. You can still launch the video from your filemanager though. No issue there.

Oh, and ringtones, alarms and notifications require indexingservice, so don't add a nomedia file there.

Nazty111

Dec 26, 2013
worked for me

Hi. After months of searching and no luck I finally found what caused my battery drain. I had strong overheating near the camera so I decided to search a bit on that. Turned out MicroSD problem. I had ~20.000 files on it (and search indexing was doing all this crap). People reported overheating gone after removing the SD. I deleted the files and voila - no more overheating and drain for me. Its back to the normal battery life when I bought it. It used to drain 5% every 10 minutes before. Many of you probably know this but I thought it may help someone.

Helped me, so I thank you. Almost pulled my hair out, battery was halved for a few months and tried numerous things to rectify to no avail.Pulled memory card out last night, and I just got ten percent drain with screen constantly on for an hour straight!
Oh well, don't try calling Samsung support for a new battery. They had me waiting for 3 weeks when they told me they'd send one out, only when I rang them the fifth time a manager said that's not what they do and told me he would do nothing to rectify their mistake while being a complete a$$ to me.
Cheers for the heads up anyway buddy, appreciate it :good::good:

Last edited:

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
So what's the point of having a SDcard shot :s.. There is so much brag about it on all review sites, claiming that having a card slot is a plus.

Sent from my SM-N7505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

So now no more sdcard?

Sent from my SM-N7505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

So what's the point of having a SDcard shot :s.. There is so much brag about it on all review sites, claiming that having a card slot is a plus.

There's plenty of advantages. And just like everything with Android, it needs proper managing. If you want a use-and-don't-think phone, buy an iPhone.

A large point is that I actually have something to watch and listen to and read during my 7.5 hour daily commute of which 5 hours are a zone where I have no mobile signal whatsoever (or G, if I'm very lucky.) Renders a cloud or streaming service rather useless, wouldn't you say? And I shall not even bother to explain to you the concept of borders and roaming charges.

Not to mention that if my phone dies, at least all my personal data is safely stored where I can get to it.

I've listed exactly what to do to prevent this issue in my post a few posts up. It's a simply copy-paste approach that takes about a minute in total.

Or do you complain about the pointlessness of TV's, too? Seeing as how you need to spend a minute connecting it and selecting the proper channels upon purchase....

Jack Barrett

Jul 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
My brand was Samsung 32GB, I believe Class 6 or 8. Rom always stock and rooted. I always ignored the fact that it may be SD problem. I'm so relieved this problem is gone. Strong overheating where I can't touch it was existing almost every time even on simple youtube videos watching. I never had this issue with my previous devices. Just try unplugging the SD card for few days and drain/charge battery and see for yourself. If it works then great.

Last edited:

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
My brand was Samsung 32GB, I believe Class 6 or 8. Rom always stock and rooted. I always ignored the fact that it may be SD problem. I'm so relieved this problem is gone. Strong overheating where I can't touch it was existing almost every time even on simple youtube videos watching. I never had this issue with my previous devices. Just try unplugging the SD card for few days and drain/charge battery and see for yourself. If it works then great.

So bro, you won't be using the card from now on?

There's plenty of advantages. And just like everything with Android, it needs proper managing. If you want a use-and-don't-think phone, buy an iPhone.

Or do you complain about the pointlessness of TV's, too? Seeing as how you need to spend a minute connecting it and selecting the proper channels upon purchase....

Relax. No need to shout and cry. Don't be insecure about your phone. Did you see me talking about iPhone? Or have you ever seen an iPhone user firing at another iPhone user and asking him to go-buy-an-android if he needs clarification about anything? No. They ain't that insecure like many of the android users we have. Case in point, as seen above.

Moreover, I cannot comment on your TV comment since I don't watch TV much. I prefer YouTubing ;)

mayank shekhar

Apr 16, 2012
yes this is true...I had been facing this issue since the days of Galaxy S2, only solution is to not use the sdcard...formatting the card works but only for a few days, or until the time you start filling it up...creating a .nomedia file in every directory doesn't seem to work for me!

anybody else got it to work?

Relax. No need to shout and cry. Don't be insecure about your phone. Did you see me talking about iPhone? Or have you ever seen an iPhone user firing at another iPhone user and asking him to go-buy-an-android if he needs clarification about anything? No. They ain't that insecure like many of the android users we have. Case in point, as seen above.

Moreover, I cannot comment on your TV comment since I don't watch TV much. I prefer YouTubing ;)

I'm not quite sure how you got insecure from that.... :confused: I own 5 smartphones, I happily use my Note 3 without a shred of doubt every day. And if I was insecure about Android/Samsung, I wouldn't be working for them to help others fix and get the most out of their device.

(Also, maybe men feel the need to be insecure about something they own and see as a reflection of themselves (it seems to be a reoccuring theme with that gender), but I'm not a bloke. I don't see my phone as the metaphorical representation of a phallus I do not have.)

Kindly stop projecting your own feelings onto my comments.

Youtube is utterly useless when it comes to TV shows though. (Admittedly, so is telly these days)

Last edited:
Reactions: onslaught86

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
I'm not quite sure how you got insecure from that.... :confused: I own 5 smartphones, I happily use my Note 3 without a shred of doubt every day. And if I was insecure about Android/Samsung, I wouldn't be working for them to help others fix and get the most out of their device.

(Also, maybe men feel the need to be insecure about something they own and see as a reflection of themselves (it seems to be a reoccuring theme with that gender), but I'm not a bloke. I don't see my phone as the metaphorical representation of a phallus I do not have.)

Youtube is utterly useless when it comes to TV shows though. (Admittedly, so is telly these days)

By poking your nose in and suggesting to buy an iPhone, I can clearly see how secure are you with your device. You wanna fix something? Fix yourself dear. That will help you in long run.
And by the way, sorry to burst your little harlequin romance bubble with you "TV". There is more to the world than an iPhone or a TV. So stop BS-ing. Think you don't want a phone.. You want a life. So why not get one?!!

By poking your nose in and suggesting to buy an iPhone, I can clearly see how secure are you with your device. You wanna fix something? Fix yourself dear. That will help you in long run.
And by the way, sorry to burst your little harlequin romance bubble with you "TV". There is more to the world than an iPhone or a TV. So stop BS-ing. Think you don't want a phone.. You want a life. So why not get one?!!

You really are quite sad. 'dear'? Truly?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, that happens. It's been mentioned in the quite numerous battery threads around here repeatedly.

- You may have one or more corrupt files. Hook the card up to a computer (via a cardreader or slot) and do a global search for 0kb files on it. Delete all 0kb media files (ignore the playlists and .nomedia.)

- Drop a .nomedia file in every folder you don't need to see in your gallery, Stock video or Stock musicplayer. This tells mediascanner to skip that folder. It applies to all subfolders as well, so dropping one in your ebook folder is enough to exclude all folders within that folder. (so anything containing stored maps, documents, textfiles, apks, appfiles (you can safely srop one in the Android folder, if Android hasn't already done so.), books, etc canbe safely excluded. If you find you need the folder shown somewhere after all, just delete the file.)

You can copy the ones already existing in several folders on the phone (Android creates them.). May need to enable hidden files first.

For instance, I have one folder containing a total of 24.238 files in 1.439 folders. These are all saved websites for documentation when I don't have internet access. Before I dropped a .nomedia file in my 'Websites' folder, my battery drained within a mere few hours, and the phone always ran hot. Dropped a .nomedia file in there, problem solved. Indexingservice skips the folder entirely, and I can access it via the filemanager (ES in my case, but stock works too.)

The Stock players rely on the Indexingservice. If you use an alternative music player, you can also add one to your music library. (Keep in mind this might disable the album arts. On N7 it works fine, haven't tested the rest.) Quickpic can be set to show folders hidden by a .nomedia file.

Videoplayers use Indexingservice, so adding a .nomedia file to the video folders excludes them from the videoplayers. You can still launch the video from your filemanager though. No issue there.

Oh, and ringtones, alarms and notifications require indexingservice, so don't add a nomedia file there.

A large point is that I actually have something to watch and listen to and read during my 7.5 hour daily commute of which 5 hours are a zone where I have no mobile signal whatsoever (or G, if I'm very lucky.) Renders a cloud or streaming service rather useless, wouldn't you say? And I shall not even bother to explain to you the concept of borders and roaming charges.

Not to mention that if my phone dies, at least all my personal data is safely stored where I can get to it.

I've listed exactly what to do to prevent this issue in my post a few posts up. It's a simply copy-paste approach that takes about a minute in total.