MK809 II

Search This thread

TommeleTBone

Feb 3, 2012
HD hardware playback is supported on android on xbmc using the mk809 - I have loads of HD movies and they all play without any problems at all. I believe the gpu on the stick is supported.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using xda app-developers app

Do you play them through lan or directly usb connected?

I have stuttering playback lost frames through lan.

J_B204

Jun 15, 2010
Do you play them through lan or directly usb connected?

I have stuttering playback lost frames through lan.

I play them through wifi. My setup is an old netbook connected via ethernet to my router. I use the netbook as a basic smb server and share a few folders. All my movies are encoded into mp4 using Freemake video converter using either the Sony ps3 720p or 1080p setting. I then use xbmc to stream them wirelessly. Hardly ever get stutters or buffering.

Maybe it is because I've encoded them to mp4 even though they are still HD? The stick connects to a 720p TV so although it is streaming 1080p it only needs to output to 720p.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using xda app-developers app

pdiggitydogg

Jun 27, 2010
Received my stick yesterday (mk809 std).
The wifi is pretty bad. Took over an hour to download/update 10 apps; Netflix and youtube are unwatchable.
Ive seen a few instructions on the 808 for removing the ground (but that model also has 2 wifi antennas) Anyone tried that yet?
I dont have the option of running LAN/USB to where I want to use the stick, unfortunately. Anyone else have luck using a repeater?

mk8092.jpg

mk8091.jpg

TommeleTBone

Feb 3, 2012
Better Wifi might be obtained through different wifi channel. Check router to change this.
But i could not get more as 600k/sec nevertherless which sucks for 1080p streaming. Will try xmbc later and compare it than to mxplayer an bsplayer which i do own as pro version....

TommeleTBone

Feb 3, 2012
Xmbc does not do it.
Playing 1080p from usbstick localy works perfectly with internal video player.
Hmmmmm....

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

J_B204

Jun 15, 2010
Xmbc does not do it.
Playing 1080p from usbstick localy works perfectly with internal video player.
Hmmmmm....

I take it you're using rc3 of xbmc? What file format are you using?

One way would be to encode one of your videos that causes you problems using Freemake (it's freeware and works extremely well) - recommend the ps3 HD setting and see if xbmc plays it. If it does I think its not so much a HD issue but a xbmc codec issue.

Sent from my LT15i using xda app-developers app

TommeleTBone

Feb 3, 2012
.mkv with x264 with dts audio, my guess is that the usb lan adapter i do use does not give the bandwidith, i will try another. As playback from stick via mxplayer works flawless..

No. I will not reencode anything.

J_B204

Jun 15, 2010
.mkv with x264 with dts audio, my guess is that the usb lan adapter i do use does not give the bandwidith, i will try another. As playback from stick via mxplayer works flawless..

No. I will not reencode anything.

Well mxplayer uses proprietary codecs that XBMC will not use as it is open source - MXplayer isn't open source. If you read the XBMC Android wiki/webpage it clearly states that it will never use proprietary codecs so it is very unlikely that you'll be able to play your files unless or until someone releases an open sources codec that suits your needs.

I'd be surprised it it is your LAN adapter unless it is faulty...

Some discussion on streaming here: http://forum.firecore.com/topic/6060

Reactions: TommeleTBone

bikerman124

Jan 12, 2013
VPN possible with MK809

Hi,
This is my first post. I have been looking at the MK809 but need to know whether it is possible to set up a vpn for streaming BBC, Netflix, etc. I am outside the UK often and currently use this method to get home programmes. Can I set one up on the MK809? Does it have this option available under settings? Has anyone tried this? Would be grateful for any response.
Cheers,
M

Yes it should be possible.
You could use the native vpn client in the anroid settings.

Also it should be pissible to use tor for this. Change the exit node to a fast uk server.
Did see that this is usable for desktops. So why shouldn't it for android.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: bikerman124

TommeleTBone

Feb 3, 2012
Will be testing tonight diceplayer, my guess is, that we only need a player which makes use of the stockplayer with extending buffer methods, while playing 1080p through lan.

Does't work tried with bsplayer and the internal videoplayer as it doesn't support lan playback. The bs hardware decoder plays h264 scrambled.

Tried dice player. But on startup it shows. Can not play video. Even if no video is selected.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: TommeleTBone

TommeleTBone

Feb 3, 2012
Yep. Dice does not support the rk3066 chipset, they got busted because of .dts licensed issues anyways....

I think LAN 1080p playback sucks at the moment....

TommeleTBone

Feb 3, 2012
My guess is *only* the stockplayer is able to do local playback stuttering free.
I did connect an 100mbit ethernet adapter directly to the stick.
I did use a nas through fritzbox. Yeah, i know the usb port on the fritz does only do 3mbit/s but it should fit.
We need a codec coder here who can use stockplayer and implement buffering for lan usage.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root MK809 (II)

everything related 2 the MK809 II

Be gentle people it's my first post

all the credits go to:

bothlynn from vondroid com

I don't accept any responsibility for loss of warranty, brain cells, hair or your TV stick as a result of following this guide. All I can say is it worked for me on my Jelly Bean version of the MK809 (II)

So here it is for the community, a step-by-step to root this device.

1/ If not already done install Android SDK and make sure it runs. Put the platform-tools directory in your system PATH variable.

download the attachments for the drivers and TS Sparky root hack

3 / Add lines to <Your Android SDK>\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf

Under the [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] section:

Code:

; WINDOW/YUANDAO MK809
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&MI_01

4/ Connect your MK809 DC port to a high power USB port on your PC or Laptop

on the mk809II its the small microusb port on the left side of the stick
    do not connect any other power-source or device to the stick ( with exception of a mouse to control the device).
    example:

I found that the supplied micro USB cable caused a bootloop and I changed
    to the decent HTC data cable that came with my phone

5/ Once the MK809 is powered up turn on USB Debugging under Developer Settings and allow installations from unknown locations.

In my case. I needed to reset my stick to factory default settings before it enabled USB debugging.

6 / Start the Installation of the PDA.net drivers. When prompted to plug and un-plug your device use the "Connect to PC" option under Settings->USB on your MK809.

After the driver installation is complete you can do a quick test that all is OK so far
    by opening a command prompt on your PC and typing "adb shell" and hitting enter.

If all is well you should get a remote adb shell to your MK809II.

If it's not working at this point could be that step 4 above is wrong.

The original TPSparkyRoot.bat file had a bug. I already corrected this by adding a line: in the bat file:

under line "echo --- Installing SuperSU"
    adb push SuperSU.apk /system/app/SuperSU.apk

If you did the test at Step 6 make sure that adb shell is exited before proceeding
    Also you might want to disconnect and reconnect your MK809 either physically or via Settings->USB
    on your MK809 just to make sure of a clean connection before the point of no return

9/ Run the batch file TPSparkyRoot.bat from the shell you opened at Step 8. Note that after each reboot and before you hit space to continue you will need to reconnect your MK809 to the host PC via Settings->USB.
    Before entering the spacebar to proceed with the hack

You should now be rooted. It's worth running superSU on your MK809 to update the su binary and superSU itself. Then you're done.
    Video Guide on Flashing ROM to MK809II

Hey all,

I followed a couple of guides/gathered resources and managed to flash my MK809II with the iMito firmware. I made a video tutorial on how to flash your device as I thought it could help new users such as myself. I hope it's useful:

everything related 2 the MK809 II
    [FOR ALL HAVING 'adb device' ISSUES] - need older adb

An important note to all those who, like me, have the Android SDK installed and adb in their path (or decide to use that adb and not the one in the TPSparky package attached by the OP).

In short, it won't work. Use the one in the package. =)

The OP states:

"
    After the driver installation is complete you can do a quick test that all is OK so far
    by opening a command prompt on your PC and typing "adb shell" and hitting enter.

If all is well you should get a remote adb shell to your MK809II.
    "

...and you will, providing that you're using that adb...which is version 1.0.26.

I tried using 1.0.31 (which is in the SDK from Dec.2012/Jan 2013) and it doesn't see anything.
    Interestingly enough, 1.0.26 reports the device id as:
    0123456789ABCDEF

...which I'm pretty sure is not valid (i'm not an expert on Google's device UIDs but a safe guess is that they are supposed to be *unique* hehe.)

Anyways, i don't have the time resources to investigate why this is (and since there are a few clones of MK809II devices out there, YMMV). I am guessing it's probably related to the non-unique "UID", and that the mk809 vendor of these particular devices is playing loose with the ADB protocol standard; something that google likely patched somewhere from 1.0.26->1.0.31.

The short of it is that root DOES work as described by the OP as long as you use ADB version 1.0.26 on your host computer.
    Very likely it'll work for SDK work too (debugging, deploying apps, etc)

~L.N.~

p.s. My device also had a very finnicky power appetite. I needed to use an external ACDC power brick->USB (use a 2.1Amp "ipad approved" one to be sure). *One thing to note though*: whenever you do this AND your computer is NOT a laptop AND/OR is NOT running on batteries, be careful that the ACDC charger and the computer are plugged into the **same** wall outlet! (or, if you're using a UPS, plug either both the computer and ACDC chrg. to the wall, or to the UPS, but not 1 to the wall and the other to the UPS). A ground differential can make weird things happen, and in very rare but severe cases where the diff is high, can destroy the mk stick, the computer's USB port, or both.
    just FYI + word of friendly caution
    MK809 results with finless 1.5 (not MK809II)

Works flawless!

Now i do have finless rom and cwmrecovery.

Bye stockrom ;)

Tried the Finless 1.5 Imito ROM on my MK809 (not MK809II). Booted fine but no wifi even after several reboots. Must be a different wifi module? Back to stock without issue.

Definitely benefits to having gone through this though:

Reformatted system partition to 1GB (MK809 only has 4GB in total, not 8 like MK809II). Selected this in the finless utility. Be careful, changing the parameter file during flash formats your internal SD too.
    Seem to have the benefits of the finless 1080p kernel surviving revert to stock: changing output mode actually does something now, as does display scaling. Still getting 1080p resolution, definitely not before.
    Wondering if the xbox controller elements have survived, yet to test this.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of flashing finless on an MK809.