S4

Search This thread

ericerk

Jun 21, 2010
I want to sell my S4 but I'm afraid once I sell it there will be a bootloader exploit... Is this nuts, or is it just me??

(And possibly get the M8)

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I want to sell my S4 but I'm afraid once I sell it there will be a bootloader exploit... Is this nuts, or is it just me??

Just my opinion but... Your probably safe to move on lol there's some extremely talented people working on it , and I don't want to knock their progress, but its some serious security they're trying to break.

The reality is though that we just never know. Could find an exploit tomorrow.... Could never find it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ericerk

Jun 21, 2010
Just my opinion but... Your probably safe to move on lol there's some extremely talented people working on it , and I don't want to knock their progress, but its some serious security they're trying to break.

The reality is though that we just never know. Could find an exploit tomorrow.... Could never find it.

I'm not trying to say they're not working, I'm not saying they're bad. I'm just stating... that there hasn't been an unlock since MDK.
I know that we never know, it's just kinda disappointing...

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I'm not trying to say they're not working, I'm not saying they're bad. I'm just stating... that there hasn't been an unlock since MDK.
I know that we never know, it's just kinda disappointing...

Hey I know... I was just saying is all. Doesn't look good and Verizon is very dissapointing.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
So your opinion, M8 or Stick W/ S4.

I'm a CM addict.

Well I'd either get an MDK S4 off Swappa or get the M8 if your CM addict lol

I had my locked down S4 for a few months, then I sold it on Swappa and got an MDK S4 so I could do just that.
I'm not a real TW fan myself.

I suppose it all depends on what phone you really want.

---------- Post added at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

Just be sure the M8 is able to have custom recoveries too.... I'm not an HTC man so I don't follow it much. You don't want another locked down phone if your goal is to have CM

ericerk

Jun 21, 2010
Well I'd either get an MDK S4 off Swappa or get the M8 if your CM addict lol

I had my locked down S4 for a few months, then I sold it on Swappa and got an MDK S4 so I could do just that.
I'm not a real TW fan myself.

I suppose it all depends on what phone you really want.

---------- Post added at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

Just be sure the M8 is able to have custom recoveries too.... I'm not an HTC man so I don't follow it much. You don't want another locked down phone if your goal is to have CM

At this point i've just refused to use the damn thing... I'm using my razr m w/ 4.1.2. on it because it runs better...

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
At this point i've just refused to use the damn thing... I'm using my razr m w/ 4.1.2. on it because it runs better...

Good comparison between the S4 and M8
http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-One-M8-vs-HTC-One-M7-vs-Galaxy-S4-specs-comparison_id54260

Between that and knowing what's possible with the M8 ( on Verizon ) and an MDK S4 you can probably make a good decision.
I know nothing about HTC phones really... But are they unlocked ( bootloaders ) or is it the same deal as the S4?

Verizon is the one pushing the locked down security. Probably worth finding out 1st.

ericerk

Jun 21, 2010
Good comparison between the S4 and M8
http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-One-M8-vs-HTC-One-M7-vs-Galaxy-S4-specs-comparison_id54260

Between that and knowing what's possible with the M8 ( on Verizon ) and an MDK S4 you can probably make a good decision.
I know nothing about HTC phones really... But are they unlocked ( bootloaders ) or is it the same deal as the S4?

Verizon is the one pushing the locked down security. Probably worth finding out 1st.

All that I know forsure, is that most HTC phones get unlocked and have great lives with CM.

HTC one, Droid DNA, all the other HTC's

Oishikatta

Mar 16, 2014

I'd sell the S4 before the S5 comes out. There might be less interest in it after.

I sold my Mk2 S4 and bought an MDK one for ~$35 difference. The only thing that's missing with non-TW roms is the gesture stuff, but that's a small thing when you get GPE/CM/AOSP/whatever you want.

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
The M8 will probably be unlocked, we've had good success with HTC devices on Verizon. Although the 801 is a new beast to deal with. If you can deal with the razr I'd give it a couple weeks to see how the progress is on the m8

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ericerk

Jun 21, 2010
The M8 will probably be unlocked, we've had good success with HTC devices on Verizon. Although the 801 is a new beast to deal with. If you can deal with the razr I'd give it a couple weeks to see how the progress is on the m8

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yeah, probably going to do that.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Josh... You feel funny holding that Max up to your ear for a call?? LoL

I want that phone but I don't know if I can be trusted with something like that

ericerk

Jun 21, 2010
Josh... You feel funny holding that Max up to your ear for a call?? LoL

I want that phone but I don't know if I can be trusted with something like that

So I went in to the VZ store yesterday and the rep was like, wait a few weeks.

Last edited:

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Meaning, See if it gets unlockable... I'm not about to spend 300 bucks and wait 8 months for it to get unlocked. I hate sense, less than twiz, but still. I wouldn't want it on device for more than a few hours.

Ohhhh gotcha Yea wasn't sure that's what you meant. Some of the reps aren't to bad and you can talk to like normal... Others are just robots. Well I did a little reading on it and it certainly seems more promising that the M8 will be unlocked. This S4 will probably be my last Sammy phone with Verizon anyways. Maybe HTC is the way to go. Just wish it has removable battery.

ericerk

Jun 21, 2010
Ohhhh gotcha Yea wasn't sure that's what you meant. Some of the reps aren't to bad and you can talk to like normal... Others are just robots. Well I did a little reading on it and it certainly seems more promising that the M8 will be unlocked. This S4 will probably be my last Sammy phone with Verizon anyways. Maybe HTC is the way to go. Just wish it has removable battery.

My thoughts exactly. It's just an annoying thing. Vz is the only one to be so resistive.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Meaning... They had noone at all??

Meaning, See if it gets unlockable... I'm not about to spend 300 bucks and wait 8 months for it to get unlocked. I hate sense, less than twiz, but still. I wouldn't want it on device for more than a few hours.