Dock productivity review?

Search This thread

cheater1

Feb 7, 2013
I have the asus transformer tf700 and I'm trying to decide to get a dock or not. I only need a dock to write lab reports. My report will need images and equations. How productive is the tf700 at writing reports? And which word processing app with support images and equations?

Last edited:

pvka13

Jan 2, 2013
Kaunas, LTU
I have the asus transformer tf700 and I'm trying to decide to get a dock or not. I only need a dock to write lab reports. My report will need images and equations. How productive is the tf700 at writing reports? And which word processing app with support images and equations?

Depends on the software. In my case the dock was certainly worth its cost - I use my TF700 as my main laptop after installing Ubuntu. I'm mostly programming (lots of typing) so you can imagine how much my productivity depends on the keyboard :) Well, the decrease wasn't very noticeable.

(Note - don't be tempted to install ubuntu on TF700 if you're not familiar with linux. There's still a lot of rought corners that need to be rounded :) )

tttimmcg

Aug 27, 2012
I got my infinity at the beginning of the fall semester, and tried to use it for lab reports. The included polaris office is far less convenient for word processing than microsoft word. And its spreadsheet function is not comparable at all to excel. But now there are options to use microsoft office programs on the tablet, and it is becoming more convenient to use the tablet as a laptop replacement.

My point is that you can use the infinity for what you want it. Your laptop would probably be faster and easier (mainly because of familiarity), but the functionality is right on par.

I use it to write pretty much all of my reports. Polaris office is crap, but Kingsoft (free) works fine, as does Officesuite Pro (not free). Wouldn't want to part with the dock, writing on the screen doesn't work for me. Also, suggestion-typing drives me to near insanity; I hate it. I do 140 wpm on a keyboard, I don't need typing aid. So the Dock is the way to go for me.

jbrukardt

Feb 25, 2013
Depends on the software. In my case the dock was certainly worth its cost - I use my TF700 as my main laptop after installing Ubuntu. I'm mostly programming (lots of typing) so you can imagine how much my productivity depends on the keyboard :) Well, the decrease wasn't very noticeable.

(Note - don't be tempted to install ubuntu on TF700 if you're not familiar with linux. There's still a lot of rought corners that need to be rounded :) )

Is it still dirt terrible slow because you have to VNC to get graphical desktop?

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

The area ive found where the TFs (and android in general) really suffer, is any form of multitasking. The OS is just not made for that. 4.2.2 and GMD gesture control help a bit, but its still pretty miserable.

As far as just enhancing typing? The dock is perfect

kali113

Apr 16, 2012
Cluj-Napoca

what enviroment are you programming in? what are you running on ubuntu on the tf700?
Thanks in advance, I mostly use eclipse, but I cant seem to be able to run it on rabbit's build.

efalis

Nov 27, 2011
Office alternatives

I got my infinity at the beginning of the fall semester, and tried to use it for lab reports. The included polaris office is far less convenient for word processing than microsoft word. And its spreadsheet function is not comparable at all to excel. But now there are options to use microsoft office programs on the tablet, and it is becoming more convenient to use the tablet as a laptop replacement.

My point is that you can use the infinity for what you want it. Your laptop would probably be faster and easier (mainly because of familiarity), but the functionality is right on par.

I use PlanMaker Mobile, Presentations Mobile and TextMaker Mobile as good replacements for Excel, PowerPoint and Word respectively. I think they cost about $10 apiece and are a great bargain. Add PrinterShare Pro to access printers and you're in business for this kind of application.

Reactions: tttimmcg
I use PlanMaker Mobile, Presentations Mobile and TextMaker Mobile as good replacements for Excel, PowerPoint and Word respectively. I think they cost about $10 apiece and are a great bargain. Add PrinterShare Pro to access printers and you're in business for this kind of application.

I am on the same set-up and it works very well for me. Really is worth the investment.Trying to recreate the text fields from an original document just wasn't working well with the others for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Office alternatives