RBC Mobile in Canada now supports NFC payments with your Samsung Galaxy S3

Search This thread

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
As of today RBC Mobile in Canada now supports NFC payments with your Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rbc.mobile.android&hl=en

What's New
Mobile payment capabilities available for Bell Mobility NFC-enabled Samsung Galaxy S III‡ or Samsung Galaxy S4‡ smartphones. If you’re on Android OS 4.3+ or want additional information, go to http://goo.gl/lGzGgR
The RBC Wallet powered by RBC Secure CloudTM lets you add, manage and store your Client Card and Visa credit cards and be able to make payments.

Setting up your RBC Wallet
-What do I need to start using the RBC Wallet?
Check out "Getting Started" under How to Use for details on setting up your RBC Wallet.
-What cards can I add to my RBC Wallet?
Currently you are able to add your eligible RBC Visa‡ credit cards and your Client Card (Interac‡ Debit) to your RBC Wallet. You will be able to add additional cards to the RBC Wallet in the future.
-Will I need a new SIM to use the RBC Wallet?
Yes, you will need to change your SIM card to a Bell NFC SIM card. Visit bell.ca/NFC for more information.

Do I need to have a data connection in order to make a transaction?
Yes, a data connection is required to download the app, set-up your card information and use the application.
The RBC Wallet does not appear to be working for me. What do I do?
If you are experiencing technical problems with the RBC Wallet please call 1-800-769-2555. They will provide assistance to identify the potential problem.
I have installed the RBC Mobile app but I can't see my card in the RBC Wallet, what should I do?
If you do not see your card in the RBC Wallet it may not be eligible. You must have a personal RBC debit or credit card to use the RBC Wallet. To discuss, please call 1-800-769-2512.
Check out "Getting Started" under How to Use for the list of eligible credit cards.
I plan to cancel my smartphone service and I have the RBC Wallet on my smartphone, what should I do?
Before cancelling a smartphone service it is best to remove all credit cards from your RBC Wallet, disable your debit card, and uninstall the RBC Mobile app. If you have already cancelled your service you can remove cards by using a WiFi network.

OK here is what they DONT TELL YOU!!

I called bell to ask if i have an NFC SIM. NO.
NO CANADIAN BELL USER HAS BEEN GIVEN AN NFC SIM WITH THEIR PHONE. YOU MUST GO TO BELL STORE TO GET A FREE SIM UPGRADE.

ALSO. the guy at bell said they have a notice from RBC telling users to go to:
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/mobile/wallet/nfc-update/
and fill out the form, and an RBC agent will contact you and arrange a push update to your NFC SIM to enable RBC wallet to work.

I am running a SGS4 from bell running a 4.4.2 google edition rom (by danvdh), with build.prop edited back to my original model number from bell.
I just got back from the bell store and have my NFC sim installed. I have the new RBC app installed.
The new card option on first page of RBC app (seen in screenshots from RBC site) is not visible on my device.

I have filled out the form and am waiting for a call back, i imagine this push update will enable the missing button in RBC app.

will update with more information as it comes available.

ONE WEIRD THING...
since i installed my NFC SIM, my phone is telling me i have a voicemail that does not exist. wont go away.

whyvas

Jul 15, 2009
As of today RBC Mobile in Canada now supports NFC payments with your Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rbc.mobile.android&hl=en

OK here is what they DONT TELL YOU!!

I called bell to ask if i have an NFC SIM. NO.
NO CANADIAN BELL USER HAS BEEN GIVEN AN NFC SIM WITH THEIR PHONE. YOU MUST GO TO BELL STORE TO GET A FREE SIM UPGRADE.

ALSO. the guy at bell said they have a notice from RBC telling users to go to:
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/mobile/wallet/nfc-update/
and fill out the form, and an RBC agent will contact you and arrange a push update to your NFC SIM to enable RBC wallet to work.

I am running a SGS4 from bell running a 4.4.2 google edition rom (by danvdh), with build.prop edited back to my original model number from bell.
I just got back from the bell store and have my NFC sim installed. I have the new RBC app installed.
The new card option on first page of RBC app (seen in screenshots from RBC site) is not visible on my device.

I have filled out the form and am waiting for a call back, i imagine this push update will enable the missing button in RBC app.

ONE WEIRD THING...
since i installed my NFC SIM, my phone is telling me i have a voicemail that does not exist. wont go away.

Great. I have RBC and would love this feature but I have a Nexus 5 and am on Telus. I tried the market changer and also the app to change the model of the phone but it didn't work. I would love someone to hack this thing. Why do they restrict it to a specific device and a specific network?

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
Great. I have RBC and would love this feature but I have a Nexus 5 and am on Telus. I tried the market changer and also the app to change the model of the phone but it didn't work. I would love someone to hack this thing. Why do they restrict it to a specific device and a specific network?

security, and controlled release. and the network has to support NFC sim cards and supply them for free.

also even with network change and device ID change, you have to fill out the form and have RBC push an update to your NFC Sim sercure element.

rush381

Apr 7, 2011
Calgary

Any updates on this? I have the NFC sim, RBC emailed me and said everything has been activated but the wallet menu doesn't appear in the app. I'm on a rooted GS4 with a custom 4.4 rom installed with bell. The only problem I can think of is my rom. After a month, can you update us on how things are going with this app?

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
really? just 2 posts up? working on rooted modded STOCK rom, could not get running on custom.

Last edited:

perryh1

Feb 28, 2011
kanata
i know this is an old thread, seems like rbc took away the requirement to push an update to the sim, can the build prop be modded for a work around? thnaks