[ROM][4.4.2][YP-G70] BeanStalk 4.4+ [US/INT] [METICULUS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
M

Meticulus

Issue note!

Because there are issues with remounting /system rw, you may need to "adb root" then "adb remount" for settings in the "BeanStalk options" to stick. I'm thinking specifically of the build.prop mods and the init.d scripts but there may be others...;)

EDIT: I've posted my performance settings in OP3.

EDIT2: After a quick look, I got "Screen Recording" fixed. Will be released with next build...

EDIT3: Posted a screen record of some of the settings in beanstalk (OP 4) ...

Last edited:
Because there are issues with remounting /system rw, you may need to "adb root" then "adb remount" for settings in the "BeanStalk options" to stick. I'm thinking specifically of the build.prop mods and the init.d scripts but there may be others...;)

EDIT: I've posted my performance settings in OP3.

EDIT2: After a quick look, I got "Screen Recording" fixed. Will be released with next build...

EDIT3: Posted a screen record of some of the settings in beanstalk (OP 4) ...

Those tweaks definitely make the ROM "feel" even faster.

Running ART this device is flying!

The only downsides so far are that as soon as I have more than 2 or 3 apps open, the player tends to lock up (at least before I applied your tweaks in post 3), but I guess that's to be expected from such an old device.

M

Meticulus

Those tweaks definitely make the ROM "feel" even faster.

Running ART this device is flying!

The only downsides so far are that as soon as I have more than 2 or 3 apps open, the player tends to lock up (at least before I applied your tweaks in post 3), but I guess that's to be expected from such an old device.

Since I applied those settings, I have not had any lockups, even with multiple apps open but I'm not using ART. :good:

Um... While there are "phone" related settings in the ROM, they don't apply to our device....;)

Well, I just wanted to give ART a try and the responsiveness of the device now compares to my quad core tablet.
Of course loading times are a bit different, with Google Now always taking forever searching, and Chrome hating tabs, but as this has nothing to do with dalvik/art and even though I miss xposed framework, I think I couldn't go back to dalvik now.

Tl;dr: I recommend trying ART.

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda app-developers app

FweaKiid305

Apr 1, 2012
Miami
Well, I just wanted to give ART a try and the responsiveness of the device now compares to my quad core tablet.
Of course loading times are a bit different, with Google Now always taking forever searching, and Chrome hating tabs, but as this has nothing to do with dalvik/art and even though I miss xposed framework, I think I couldn't go back to dalvik now.

Tl;dr: I recommend trying ART.

Xposed Framework Doesn't Work With ART Enabled?

Sent from my YP-G70 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

M

Meticulus

JUST FYI:

Since we don't have a "custom" kernel for kitkat ATM I've started working on one and I'll be integrating it into BeanStalk.. I call it "nutella" (you now that chocolatey stuff :eek:)

Source here: https://github.com/Meticulus/nutella_kernel_samsung_venturi

I'm working on OC to 1520mhz right now... Alot of things will, most likely, be borrowed from sultans kernel but will probably not be as highly optimized as his was. I just want to get some stable moderate overclocking and to put in only tweaks that I understand, not really having as much kernel experience...

I'm testing OC to make sure I've gotten rid of SOD's....:p I tried to do it without getting rid of 100 and 200mhz but it looks like they just have to go!

SODs appear to be the last problem left, at least on my device. Sometimes it takes a minute or so of button pressing to get to the lockscreen. Your suggested tweaks in OP3 made a huge difference in multitasking. No more hangups. Looking forward to your new kernel! :thumbup:
Although it's almost not necessary to change anything on the system.

M

Meticulus

SODs appear to be the last problem left, at least on my device. Sometimes it takes a minute or so of button pressing to get to the lockscreen. Your suggested tweaks in OP3 made a huge difference in multitasking. No more hangups. Looking forward to your new kernel! :thumbup:
Although it's almost not necessary to change anything on the system.

Before my last changes that I'm testing locally, once the device goes to sleep you can't get it to ever wake up.... I think I got that fixed though but the last problem is that overclocking settings in performance do not stick after a reboot...:(

EDIT: I think I got it stable.
  1. Deep Sleep does not seem to be used unless OC is on ( Which is good, improves battery life, especially when not in use)

Also - didn't realize how much there was in "Performance Control"!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-27-20-58-53.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-27-20-58-53.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Before my last changes that I'm testing locally, once the device goes to sleep you can't get it to ever wake up.... I think I got that fixed though but the last problem is that overclocking settings in performance do not stick after a reboot...:(

EDIT: I think I got it stable.
  1. Deep Sleep does not seem to be used unless OC is on ( Which is good, improves battery life, especially when not in use)

Also - didn't realize how much there was in "Performance Control"!

Sorry for sort of spamming the thread, I just want to give some feedback. :good:

After the last update, I've noticed that Google Play Services go a little crazy regarding wakelocks. My device refuses to go into deep sleep.
Also, the wakelock stats in BBS and WLD are all messed up. Almost every wakelock has the same duration and count (Count:0 / Count:1)
To stop these wakelocks and make the changes stick, again mounting system rw in adb is a must. I am not quite sure though, if that really stops the wakelocks, as BBS and WLD only show that weird data.
In the battery screen it shows that the device is awake all of the time and Google Play Services is number one in the list of battery usage, with Keep Awake time of 2h44m in a total of 11h50m since unplugged.
I have all location services, reporting, etc. turned off.

The good news is, I can live with that, because other than that (and I can get almost two days without charging, which actually isn't bad at all), your ROM is just amazing, and I can't praise your work enough. :victory:

M

Meticulus

Sorry for sort of spamming the thread, I just want to give some feedback. :good:

After the last update, I've noticed that Google Play Services go a little crazy regarding wakelocks. My device refuses to go into deep sleep.
Also, the wakelock stats in BBS and WLD are all messed up. Almost every wakelock has the same duration and count (Count:0 / Count:1)
To stop these wakelocks and make the changes stick, again mounting system rw in adb is a must. I am not quite sure though, if that really stops the wakelocks, as BBS and WLD only show that weird data.
In the battery screen it shows that the device is awake all of the time and Google Play Services is number one in the list of battery usage, with Keep Awake time of 2h44m in a total of 11h50m since unplugged.
I have all location services, reporting, etc. turned off.

The good news is, I can live with that, because other than that (and I can get almost two days without charging, which actually isn't bad at all), your ROM is just amazing, and I can't praise your work enough. :victory:

I believe that the "mounting" issues i related to selinux. I might disable selinux in future builds.With my current changes to the "nutella" kernel ( as you can see by the photo ), it does go into deep sleep.... I definitely get better battery life, even when I OC to 1.5 GHz...:good:

I'm not sure when the next release of BeanStalk will be but, If anyone's interested.. I could build and post the "nutella" kernel so you can check it out.... Not sure if it will work on other kk roms...

Thank you for the praise but keep in mind that I'm building on the work of others, most of which are mentioned in the OP... They deserve the praise too.:good:

Aug 21, 2013
The only problem I've encountered is the INT nutella kernel will occasionally cause the device to reboot. I have it OC to 1520 MHz and have your suggested performance tweaks enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How do I install these?

Thanks ahead!
    By the way I just updated to the lastest version of the rom and the keyboard is huge I see only part of it and the buttons are really big, it's like it doesn't fit to the screen. but everything else like apps and icon are in a normal size. what should I do?

Did you format system (in mounts & storage) and wipe data & cache before installing ROM ??

I'm no expert, but I think I know how to install custom recoveries: Download the file(s) from the links provided; Unzip or extract the file(s). Use ADB to create the /cache/custom_recovery directory and copy one of the 2 files to your device into that directory. There's lots of help available here and elsewhere to learn how to use ADB.
    Settings -> Personal -> Apps Permissions -> Device

anyone help me how to less my ram used? because all of my apps eat my ram? see my screenshot :(

Go to settings then performance control and tap the menu button and switch to tabs. Swipe to left to get to memory settings. From there select how you often you want to kill apps. After that check to automatically set on reboot. Then reboot your device. I hope this help. Thank you all.

Any update ?

ANY update for this rom ? i like this rom.. very smooth in all games like nba2k13 and 14 ..
    So far the new kernel is working well. I can't overclock though, because apparently the voltages won't stick, and without adjusting them I get reboots.

Great job and thanks for compiling and posting it!

Edit: No reboots so far on 1320 MHz. So maybe voltages do stick. In performance settings it says setting to apply: 1375mv and current voltage: 1310mv though... And stays like that even after a reboot. 1310mv could never be enough for my hardware before. But who knows, your ROM and kernel are so stable, that maybe the device just doesn't get stressed enough to panic.

Actually the player feels like a multi core 1gig ram device now.
    The name nutella is well deserved :p