[Q] How do you make a backup of a non-bootable SD-card?

Search This thread

BrotherZero

Mar 22, 2011
I want to backup an SD-card I have in a phone(my only sandisk card) to try and see how it works to run ROMs from it on my nook. But I would want to make a backup of that SD-card so I can put it back in my phone again. Is it ok just to copy and paste the entire card to a folder on my PC. Or do I have to use some special kind of backup program or write an image?

omghahalol

Mar 12, 2011
There would be no need to use any sort of special program since the only files you will be copying off are physical files i.e. photos, videos, music etc. The only time would be necessary to create a full image of a card would be if you wanted to save the information such as boot records and changes to the structure of the card, not just the physical files. But I would always just recreate the card later if I had burnt an .img to it or made it bootable etc.

Copy paste would do just fine in this instance, but if you are copying a large quantity of files, I would recommend looking into the free version of TeraCopy.

BrotherZero

Mar 22, 2011
Thanks. I was thinking on apps I've transferred to SD as well and maps for navigon. But I will just copy paste the entire card then.