[WIP][DEV] S-Off [off-topic discussion prohibited]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

sk806

Jan 30, 2005
Rye, New York
Hi All,

OK, bootloader is unlocked, I am working on recovery, so the next challenge is....................S-OFF!!! Aw, f%@ck, I thought i had my life back...

I invite all users with ideas and/or knowledge to jump in and tell me what they think I am doing right and what makes me a moron. I have no pride, so lay it on me.

I will post progress reports in Post #2.

Anyway, here's to getting this done quickly.

Steve

Moderator Edit
This Thread has been moved back to the development section in an effort to put an end to the off topic discussion.
Given the size of this thread I'm going to suggest that you USE the Search thread feature located at the top to make sure your suggestion or idea has not been attempted already.

ANY OFF TOPIC POSTS WILL BE DELETED!

Last edited by a moderator:

killathenoob

Nov 27, 2010
Hamilton
Samsung Galaxy Tab E
Sorry if I'm totally off base here but I do believe reading on XDA somewhere that with the HTC One series phones when you unlock the bootloader it locks the phone from being able to flash recoverys.

This is the reason why I have waited to do the bootloader unlock I didnt want to screw myself from ever being able to flash custom roms.

sk806

Jan 30, 2005
Rye, New York
Sorry if I'm totally off base here but I do believe reading on XDA somewhere that with the HTC One series phones when you unlock the bootloader it locks the phone from being able to flash recoverys.

This is the reason why I have waited to do the bootloader unlock I didnt want to screw myself from ever being able to flash custom roms.

Nope. I have flashed CWM recovery at least 4 times on an international One X AFTER unlocking the bootloader. I wish that were it...:).

I think you may be thinking of firmware, which is a real mess, because unlocking your bootloader can set your CID to "none", and thus, you can't flash different firmware (i.e., an EU firmware on an Asian phone)...not that that would matter for these carrier-branded phones...

Last edited:
Reactions: ericjwdchen

JSLEnterprises

Apr 26, 2011
Buenos Aires

If that was completely true, then the Tegra 3 model's would not have cwm recovery... yet they do.
We just havent figured out a working method for ours.

LNKNPRKFN

Dec 16, 2010
BRAMPTON
If that was completely true, then the Tegra 3 model's would not have cwm recovery... yet they do.
We just havent figured out a working method for ours.

i think what Killathehnoob is trying to say is that its only the ROGERS version of the ONE X that when unlocking the BLer HTC has somehow lock the other partitions so that custom recoveries and kernels are not able to be flashed to the phone...which essentially could be the case because all they said they will "unlock" the BLer...BUT they never said they would NOT do anything else in the process. maybe its a possibillity that has been over looked...just THINK TANKING is all

Reactions: selectodude

JSLEnterprises

Apr 26, 2011
Buenos Aires
i think what Killathehnoob is trying to say is that its only the ROGERS version of the ONE X that when unlocking the BLer HTC has somehow lock the other partitions so that custom recoveries and kernels are not able to be flashed to the phone...which essentially could be the case because all they said they will "unlock" the BLer...BUT they never said they would NOT do anything else in the process. maybe its a possibillity that has been over looked...

I understand what you mean

I wonder if the fact that its new proprietary qualcomm chip is the reason why its being 'limited'... so we may have to rethink the whole initialization process.
we cant even get to the point that the logcat is able to start logging. So we're flying blind.
We've extended the time between loading to the soft reboot after the flash... but that doesnt tell us much.

Last edited:

sk806

Jan 30, 2005
Rye, New York

Interesting. I think the lack is fastboot boot is what they are referring to. This would prevent custom kernel development on an s-off device, but should still allow flashing of insecure stock boot images, as with the int. HOX, althoug i read it again, anf maybe they are talking about more than that. I am not sure that the article is saying that there is something different with the Rogers version vs other versions, but it seems like there may be, and obviously with the Att version. I think I will spend a day just reading, trying to pick other devs' brains, and start fresh...thanks for the input.

Steve

Last edited:

JSLEnterprises

Apr 26, 2011
Buenos Aires
Interesting. I think the lack is fastboot boot is what they are referring to. This would prevent custom kernels being flashed on an s-off device, but should still allow flashing of insecure stock boot images, as with the int. HOX. I am not sure that the article is saying that there is something different with the Rogers version, but it seems like there may be, and obviously with the Att version. I think I will spend a day just reading, trying to pick other devs' brains, and start fresh...thanks for the input.

Steve

The 'fastboot boot' command works however, its how we got root in the first place.

... delegated to a Nigerian prince. Send money.

Reactions: sk806
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

OK, bootloader is unlocked, I am working on recovery, so the next challenge is....................S-OFF!!! Aw, f%@ck, I thought i had my life back...

I invite all users with ideas and/or knowledge to jump in and tell me what they think I am doing right and what makes me a moron. I have no pride, so lay it on me.

I will post progress reports in Post #2.

Anyway, here's to getting this done quickly.

Steve

Moderator Edit
    This Thread has been moved back to the development section in an effort to put an end to the off topic discussion.
    Given the size of this thread I'm going to suggest that you USE the Search thread feature located at the top to make sure your suggestion or idea has not been attempted already.

ANY OFF TOPIC POSTS WILL BE DELETED!
    Confirmed S-Off for Evita. Booyah! And its all software as well, no hardware required. What a find by our man beaups! :) confirmed working
    You suck at moderating ... We have no use of you.. go now we 'd be better off without you in these forums...you suck you suck you suck you suck ...power hungry people like you make me sick

Goodbye

XwEap.jpg
    Progress Reports

Just starting out...
    More good news Here.............

There have been 3 crucial files that we have been needing and searching for.

Partition.XML
    8960_msimage.mbn
    Mprg8960.hex

I was able to build 2 of them from scratch and they are proper

8960_msimage.mbn
    http://db.tt/zePePzCO

Partition_boot.XML
    http://db.tt/IeKEAsLj

So we have 2 ready, now to make them usable we need the mprg8960.hex, which is the flash programmer. Once we have the 3 together, we can flash the emmc to a big USB storage device, and we can build from scratch. This should not only benefit s off but unbricking any Evita that is in qshusb mode, regardless of how it got there and what firmware it was on......

8960_msimage.mbn is used in conjunction with the mprg8960.hex to flash emmc into usb storage device.

Partition_boot.XML will be used to flash sbl1, sbl2, sbl3, tz and rpm if one of them becomes corrupted.....namely sbl3 or rpm, as we sit, if either of those get borked, there is no fix ATM.

So......mprg8960.hex......we need to find one or build one:beer:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

I'm not investigating the pads on the motherboard ATM. A bricked hox cant provide the testing needed so if anyone else wants to jump on that it may provide some good news for us.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2