[Q] HTC Desire HD Sound Quality

Search This thread

R832X5

Feb 19, 2011
Hi,

I recently upgraded from an HTC Magic to an HTC Desire HD.

I noticed that the overall sound quality on the DHD is very poor.

I first noticed it when making a call, and the sound was very tinny. It sounded like the treble was turned way up, perhaps in an effort to increase clarity, which resulted in distortion and clipping. I suppose you could also describe it as a high pitched "buzz". I thought it might be the speaker, but ruled that out when I found the same result when using headphones or plugged into an external sound system.

The problem is noticeable in any situation:

a) The earpiece, when making calls
b) The loud speaker, when on speaker-phone or playing music
c) Line-out (headphones, speaker, sound systems, etc) for calls and music
d) Even just the "beep" the phone makes when you turn up the volume, or any other system sounds (high pitched ones obviously make the buzz more prevalent)

I did some searching online and found a few forum threads, and some people agree that it's not very good while others say it is fantastic.

The review on GSM Arena seems to agree that the SQ is lacking, but that seems to contradict what I've heard a lot of people on the forums say.

The main problem is that people have different opinions of what is acceptable, what is good, and what is not.

So, I created a video in attempt to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

I ask that you please watch it, and tell me if it sounds similar to your Desire HD, or if there is something wrong with mine. When comparing your phones to other makes or models, does yours sound a lot more trebley and tinny?

The first part of the video is a speakerphone comparison with a Samsung Galaxy S and my DHD. It's kind of hard to tell in the video, but it's clearly evident in person. I also included a line-out recording with the DHD and an HTC Magic, which I think illustrates the issue a bit better. The last part of the video is comparing audio, from a computer, an SGS, and the DHD. The volume from the SGS and the DHD were pretty low, so I had to boost them a bit in post-processing which does make the "tinny" clipped treble sound very apparent, albeit a little exaggerated.

This issue is less prevelent in some styles of music, so I will also include a link to the exact song used in my tests in case anyone would be so kind as to try playing it back on their device and see if they get the same result.

Tycho - Past is Prologue

I should also mention that SRS and Dolby and all that jazz don't make a difference -- while they do make some songs sound better, the high pitched "buzz" distortion is still present -- and since it's there with plain old system sounds, ringtones, calls, etc., I think it is fair to assume that the music EQ and effects don't really have anything to do with the issue.

Finally, here is the video (be sure to select 720p for optimum audio quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NBHydZ5g-g

I thank you for your time and your help!!

By the way, I am currently running Android Revolution HD 3.2 and my radio version is 12.41.60.19_26.06.04.14_M

Last edited:

RKALLOO

Feb 15, 2010
hey there, please get the TELUS AUDIO FIX for your device
its a .zip
simple to install, just put it on the ROOT of your sdcard
then boot into recovery
i assume you know what recovery is because you have modded the phone
and apply update from zip
pick the telus.audio.fix.zip
give it 10-30 seconds
and boom fixed

Reactions: R832X5

Hawks556

Feb 11, 2011
its a .zip
then boot into recovery
give it 10-30 seconds
and boom fixed
The Telus audio fix is meant for the Telus DHD and shiftis didn't mention he has one.

R832X5

Feb 19, 2011
the 2.2.1 update fixed it.. just update it

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

I am running the most recent Revolution HD ROM (3.2), which is running 2.2.1

Furthermore, I just heard from the creator of the Revolution HD mod, who says that the "TurboniumX audio fix is included in the ROM".

I'm stumped.

kudoboi

Aug 23, 2010
Singapore
i mean the official 2.2.1 update by htc
it adds makes it easier to text, fixs the lag on dhd, improve on camera, fixes major bugs and improves the audio by alot but i think u need to unroot to update

Last edited:

R832X5

Feb 19, 2011
i mean the official 2.2.1 update by htc
it adds makes it easier to text, fixs the lag on dhd, improve on camera, fixes major bugs and improves the audio by alot but i think u need to unroot to update

I'll leave that as a last resort, but if possible I'd like to find a solution that doesn't involve unrooting.

kudoboi

Aug 23, 2010
Singapore
i dont think thr is..... thr r apps out thr but they are all for 2.1 and below

Hawks556

Feb 11, 2011
If the official 2.2.1 update has the fix, I think the devs would have included or even improved it in their custom roms?

kudoboi

Aug 23, 2010
Singapore
Android Version: 2.2.1

Build number: 1.84.720.3 CL335251

Software number: 1.84.720.3

Hawks556

Feb 11, 2011
And getting back to the topic, what have you done so far? Did you find any solution? If not you could try reflashing the turboniumx audio fix even though it is included in the rom.

Reactions: R832X5

Hawks556

Feb 11, 2011
Last edited:

R832X5

Feb 19, 2011
And getting back to the topic, what have you done so far? Did you find any solution? If not you could try reflashing the turboniumx audio fix even though it is included in the rom.

I haven't had a chance to try anything yet -- I am going to try re-flashing TurboniumX when I get home from work, and I'll report back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    its a .zip
    then boot into recovery
    give it 10-30 seconds
    and boom fixed
    Iam wondering , does TELUS AUDIO FIX require rooted DHD ?
    If it doesn't , would it be possible to flash it just by going to recovery mod through CWM and then flash it ?