[Sprint] Galaxy Mega ( SPH-L600 ) 4.4.2 KatKat OTA Update

Search This thread

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
could you plz clear something up for me..just got this mega..and cant find a dedicated thread for the L600 sprint galaxy mega..do they just have all the varaints in one development thread?

Yes they are all mixed in together, no carrier specific. That threw me off too.

..and i cant find any recoverys for the L600 varaint..every rom every recovery have the 2 model numbers,but not mine the L600..now i know philz has been like unfied to work on many difrent samsung devices with the same build..but im just thrown off,cause i never see my model number..can you explain this to me..point me in right direction. got my code name from samsung info app..its meliusltespr ,im on 4.4.2 kitkat baseband NE4 got the 6.3 galaxy mega sprint carrier...do i just use any file or rom,or recovery thats for the meliuslteXX ??...or do i need to find roms,and all otherr files that say its specficlly for my model number L600 ??

Well you are looking in the right direction! Glad you found the model number as it is the Melius.
You are correct to say meliusltexx is for you as you have Sprint w/ LTE. The other is for 3G only. As you will see, Philz only got as far as v6.48.4.

https://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/meliusltexx/

You also have TWRP Open Recovery available to you as well. This I have seen gone to v2.8.0.1.

https://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/melius/

Both recoveries worked great for me. I preferred Philz Touch though but to each their own. As far as ROMs, you are on your own. You can use roms from other carriers/variants but they will most likely break your cell signal. Unless there is a universal rom which you can use then you are stuck trying to mod or implement your own stuff as I had done before. I wish I could have stuck with the Mega as I did love that Phone but I only had it to play around with and never activated it. I loved modding things on it though.

You can always try porting a rom over to your phone from another Mega on a different carrier as long as you grab the right files from yours and place them into the other roms flashable zip you wish to port and then flash it in recovery. Here is a link to what I am talking about.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2284985

I never tried it on the Mega I had so I do not know if it will work for you but it can be possible to do so. Just make sure you make a backup of your current working rom for when it doesn't work to go back to. Also for info the Mega is unbrickable with an unbrick image. Just need to create one yourself and keep it somewhere safe incase you ever need it. Here is the thread where I helped out a member with one of my images. I also provided useful info on how to create an image or other images with other links as well. I hope you find it useful. Don't be scared to try things out. If you can, get a cheap used phone like a S3 or something similar to play with so you are not out of a working phone. As long as you have recovery available to you, you can always go back.

GL and have fun. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me or post on here. I'll try to respond as quick as I can.

Last edited:

lucky_515

Oct 8, 2014
columbus indiana
thank you for all the info..im off work this weekend..ill dedicate some time to read threw all the threads you provided..and yes i have several phones..so i can spare an s3 no problem...and i do love this stuff..no time better than the present to try learning more..its all about trial and error right!!!..thanks again for the info...i went with CM 11,and philz touch found a thread had all the info i needed...but this sounds interesting porting roms..i would love to know how!!..

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
thank you for all the info..im off work this weekend..ill dedicate some time to read threw all the threads you provided..and yes i have several phones..so i can spare an s3 no problem...and i do love this stuff..no time better than the present to try learning more..its all about trial and error right!!!..thanks again for the info...i went with CM 11,and philz touch found a thread had all the info i needed...but this sounds interesting porting roms..i would love to know how!!..

NP & I know, wish I had time to do certain things through the kitchen and all. The way I posted is just a quick way knowing that the other phone has the same or close to specs as yours so you wont brick. Sometimes you can get away with say a Note 4 port to the Note 3 and so forth.....

Glad you have other phones to try things with first. Took me a while to get over the fear of bricking. I quickly got over it though, as long as you have everything in order. Having a way to move thing around in recover really helps to. If you haven't already get the Aroma Filemanager. It has saved me several times from constant boot loops and freezes. Philz also implements it by double tapping the screen once the files are in the clockworkmod folder as stated in the main thread. it explains it there.

lucky_515

Oct 8, 2014
columbus indiana
comment #9 on the link for porting roms...it says this guide is only for mediatek devices,not htc or samsung phones....mentions there are lots of threads for porting roms...im sure i can search find one for samsung phones...be real cool find one specfically for the galaxy mega!!!..thanks for all the links though has inspired me...that guide looked real easy!people had some problems but looks like they figured them out

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

NP & I know, wish I had time to do certain things through the kitchen and all. The way I posted is just a quick way knowing that the other phone has the same or close to specs as yours so you wont brick. Sometimes you can get away with say a Note 4 port to the Note 3 and so forth.....

Glad you have other phones to try things with first. Took me a while to get over the fear of bricking. I quickly got over it though, as long as you have everything in order. Having a way to move thing around in recover really helps to. If you haven't already get the Aroma Filemanager. It has saved me several times from constant boot loops and freezes. Philz also implements it by double tapping the screen once the files are in the clockworkmod folder as stated in the main thread. it explains it there.
this may nopt be the place for this..but ivegot to ask,since ive got your attention...ive never been able figure this out yet..prolly simple to you..if ive got a png img and i want use it as my philz background how do this?..in twrp we just create a folder called theme,and change the name of zip to ui.zip and reboot to recovery but those are full themes....i just want set a png img as my background??...and i am gonna use this on my mega so does still pertain to my total goal for this phone in the end!!

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
comment #9 on the link for porting roms...it says this guide is only for mediatek devices,not htc or samsung phones....mentions there are lots of threads for porting roms...im sure i can search find one for samsung phones...be real cool find one specfically for the galaxy mega!!!..thanks for all the links though has inspired me...that guide looked real easy!people had some problems but looks like they figured them out

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

this may nopt be the place for this..but ivegot to ask,since ive got your attention...ive never been able figure this out yet..prolly simple to you..if ive got a png img and i want use it as my philz background how do this?..in twrp we just create a folder called theme,and change the name of zip to ui.zip and reboot to recovery but those are full themes....i just want set a png img as my background??...and i am gonna use this on my mega so does still pertain to my total goal for this phone in the end!!

For porting roms search within the actual ROMs thread and looks for the posts where members ask about if they are able to port them over. I recall some of the members and original posters advising of which files were needed to possibly port it over being a Samsung device and all.

For a custom background image, all you need is to make the png to the resolution of your device ( which would be 720 x 1280 for the Mega 6.3 ). I just took apart the recovery image for the latest Philz for the Mega, below is the original default background png used. You can use it as a template per se if you like but all you need is the resolution size.

In Philz, just go to:

Philz Settings
/ GUI Preferences
/ Change Background
/ Image from /sdcard
or
/ Image from/storage/sdcard1

Attachments

• stitch.png
    stitch.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Reactions: lucky_515

lucky_515

Oct 8, 2014
columbus indiana
ok so wont work unless its the exact resolution for that phone....all i do is place it in storage?..dont have to make or create any special folders to place the image in?..i can use phone info app for any samsung phone to find the exact resolution for each phone..ive got several running philz touch...

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
ok so wont work unless its the exact resolution for that phone....all i do is place it in storage?..dont have to make or create any special folders to place the image in?..i can use phone info app for any samsung phone to find the exact resolution for each phone..ive got several running philz touch...

Yup thats it. I would of course place them in the clockworkmod folder and make a folder there so you know where to look for them and keep track of them unless you only have one you want to use. Entirely up to you. Easy to find out the resolution for each phone. Quick search on the wiki here, google or anywhere will result in the numbers.

mash4077fan

Jan 17, 2013
Lake Holiday
I have the Sprint mega and I was on 4.4.2 and last week I finally decided to root. That went well. My biggest problem was getting custom recovery on it and to work properly. I like Twrp so that is what I installed using odin. I tried the latest versions and they all installed but would not let me do anything. When I tried to do a backup it would just return to homescreen. Finally I used an old version like 2.6 I think and it worked and I did a backup and I thought all was well but it still seems a bit iffy. So i tried to flash philz via twrp and it failed. Can I ask what exact version of philz did you use and how did you put it on? If i have twrp on it already can i still use odin to put philz on or do i have to flash it through my current custom recovery. also has anyone had any luck with xposed installer on this phone if so what mods worked

just an update, i was able to flash philz latest recovery using odin and it seems to be working ok

Last edited:

abu170

Apr 6, 2015
Can SPRINT GALAXY MEGA BE UNLOCKED???

OK Newbie here i have a sprint galaxy mega that i want to unlock to use on other networks i do have root as of now here is what im working with

software ver
L600VPUAMK1

HARDWARE VER
L600.04

android ver
jellybean 4.2.2

baseband ver
L600VPUAMK1
KERNAL VER
3.4.0-2048008
SE.INFRA@R0504-12 #1
SAT NOV 2 19:39:50 KST 2013
BUILD NUMBER
JDQ39.L600VPUAMK1

No my question is this can it be done? if so can someone please point me in the right direction? thank you all in advance

mash4077fan

Jan 17, 2013
Lake Holiday
Ok everyone I have been able to deodex the Sprint Samsung Mega running 4.4.2 and I am giong to try and create my own rom. I will be able to change alot of colors through out rom. I am not sure on mods just yes but I may try. If anyone is interested to test some stuff out from me please let me know. I will be combining 3 of my favorite themes together. Priest Punch, Anaconda, and Gurple. It will be called The Mega Mix. This is my first one and I am going to do it no matter whether or not there is interest just because I want to be able to say I did it. I have attached a photo just so you can see a little bit.

Attachments

• 2015-04-18.png
    2015-04-18.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 283
Reactions: tysonpr33

aviator1106

Nov 15, 2015
need root help plz

Well it's easily rooted via Recovery. Just Odin Philz or TWRP and root through there. Once rebooted install SuperSU or Superuser via Playstore . Once installed open the APK and update the binaries. Should be rooted after. I have done this to all my phones including the wifes listed below and all are rooted.

I have also made a flashable Deodex zip for NA7 and will be making one for NE4 as soon as I have the chance.

hi dark angel,
I was wondering if you could help me root my mega spl600. king root (one touch app) wont download to my device. and I'm not tech savvy enough to try a third party flash without some guidance. thanks in advance for the time my friend.

Patrick B.

Iwantfreedom

May 1, 2019
I have samsung galaxy mega with build number KOT49H.L600VPSBQA1. Will this rom work? If not is it is possible to root this device for free?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I pulled my OTA and will be updating as soon as I have the chance. In case anyone with a Sprint variant wants it now, here you go.

Showing KitKat NE4 dropped on Open Source L600VPUBNE4

Official Sprint Mega KitKat OTA.zip

As with all Official Updates, you need to have stock recovery loaded and be unrooted. This is flashed via stock recovery only and not custom recovery. If you have problems with the update I suggest you update via flashing through Odin with the Official NE4 KitKat Update.

This update does state you will not be able to downgrade the bootloader once done but if that really doesnt worry you or could care less then please proceed. Like many other Samsung devices, I am pretty sure one can flash a custom MK1 or NA7 Rom with the newer bootloader ( if one was available for us Sprint owners... ) all as long as you do not try to downgrade the newer NE4 bootloader back to the previous NA7 bootloader. As always you all should know what to do with the update.zip file so be safe and enjoy......

=====================================================
    One way to gain root on your Sprint Galaxy Mega 6.3 ( SPH-L600 ) w/ Firmware NE4 ( KitKat )
    Using PhilZ Touch Recovery Thank you @Phil3759
    Post#20 <------- click here

Official Stock Firmware tar.md5 ( 1.19 GB )
    L600VPUBNE4 Firmware <------- click here

I tried the root and it didn't work :( Can anyone help me out with what exact files I need? I know what to do I just have no idea which files to use.

Philz has whats needed already to root your Mega.

=============================================

Just in case anyone did not know or wants to know a bit about Knox Bootloaders, Rooting and flashing. Some words of caution or heed of warning for you all. Flashing ANY Custom Recovery or even a Custom Rom on your Phone while having the Knox Bootloader will trip your Knox flag and your Warranty Bit will or may go from 0x0 to 0x1. On some newer Knox Bootloaders they are showing your Current Binary as Custom and also showing Knox Warranty Void: 1. There is no way to go back to 0x0 or 0 at the moment or revert your Bootloader once you have flashed while on a Knox Bootloader so take this as it is.

As a disclaimer, you are doing this because you know what you are doing and know where to go on your device or computer to do this. I take no responsibility for you bricking, bootlooping or anything implied there of. You know the risks so proceed only if you know what to do.

This method will also not work having a locked Bootloader ( Encrypted ) from Verizon or AT&T so flash at your own expense.

=============================================

1.Flash the latest Philz recovery ( Galaxy Mega (meliusltexx) ) .

1a) Be sure when flashing a custom recovery not to allow the device to reboot into the OS right after and instead go straight to the recovery first.

( Uncheck reboot device in Odin or if you forgot to uncheck the box after a successful flash of the Custom Recovery in Odin, quickly hold down vol+, Menu & Power Button or last resort pull the battery before it has time to reboot into the OS {again this is after the phone reboots from flashing the custom recovery and passes}).

The security will over write the custom recovery with the stock recovery and you will have to flash Philz or if available TWRP again. First boot into custom recovery will make it stick on after.

2. Once flashed and booted into recovery, you'll be on the main screen.

( Optional but recommended )
    2a) At this point, and it is just a suggestion to you all, make a complete backup of the phone as it sits unmodded. I couldn't really tell you how many times I have read/seen of people post that they forgot to back up their phones after they had attempted to do something to their phones and had caused them to have problems..... well many would be surprised how often this happens and I have been guilty of it due to just being impatient. This way you will have a starting point fresh, stock and even unrooted to go back to. After your done proceed to step #3.

3. Tick on Philz settings.

4. Tick on Re-root System (Super SU).

5. You will then see the log scroll at the bottom and tell you to reboot and install SuperSU through the Playstore.

6. Reboot Device and once you have booted up, install SuperSU via Playstore or if you have the APK on hand, install it.

7. Once installed it will ask you that it needs to update binaries, do so. It will also detect KNOX and ask to attempt
    to disable it, go ahead and it will attempt to do so. ( I have yet for it to say unsuccessful )

Also, if the first attempt to Root "Normally" doesn't work and the App states that Root failed, try the other choice of updating, through a Custom Recovery TWRP/CWMR as the App suggests. You are given two choices. It will reboot your device after into the Custom Recovery you have and then reboot your phone again. After reboot, open the app to check if it took.

8. Enjoy being rooted afterwards.

=======================================

If after step #6 it fails to update binaries or for some chance, the SuperSU APK failed to install properly or failed to provide Root Access, below is a link for the newer SuperSU v2.02 that is flashable in your Custom Recovery. Flash it by rebooting back into Recovery and flashing the ZIP file that's downloadable from the middle of the main page in the link below showing installable zip. Once flashed continue on from step #6 above.

Thank you @Chainfire

SuperSU v2.02<------- click here

Bellow at the bottom of this post are both the older flashable ZIP file ( v1.97 ) and the SuperSU v2.01 apk to try if the newer ones do not work for you.
    Finally!! Thanks for that. Now we just need a rooted full install :)

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

Well it's easily rooted via Recovery. Just Odin Philz or TWRP and root through there. Once rebooted install SuperSU or Superuser via Playstore . Once installed open the APK and update the binaries. Should be rooted after. I have done this to all my phones including the wifes listed below and all are rooted.

I have also made a flashable Deodex zip for NA7 and will be making one for NE4 as soon as I have the chance.
    There is no such thing as 4.4.2 only recent sprint update 4.2.2 ota were out and version changwd from mk1 to na7 only mk1 or before can be root but na7 cant be roited only way is downgrade to mk1 and root it

Sent from my SPH-L600 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

Also use ota rootkeeper on mk1 before the na7 ota update

Sent from my SPH-L600 using XDA Free mobile app

So you are saying there is no 4.4.2 Kitkat update and the Open Source website are mistaken as well.

Look at my original post and see for yourself. This is for the Sprint Mega SPH-L600 Phone. I have rooted all my Samsung Galaxy phones via Custom recovery using Philz or TWRP. Once you root through custom recovery it will then ask you to reboot the device and download SuperSU from the Playstore and update the binaries through there. Since then I have De-Odexed NE4 ( & created a flashable zip for US Sprint owners to flash via Philz or possibly TWRP but am waiting to release it ATM ) and have modded my platform.xml file to allow permission to write to external storage manually instead of using an App from the Playstore.

For info, the supposedly unrootable NA7 version is very rootable on its own just like MI6, MK1 and the now NE4. Once I updated my Mega to NA7, I rooted it right away, de-odexed and began modding the phone to the point where I also created a flashable deodexer ( via recovery ) until I saw that NE4 dropped and also the DL on my phone which stopped me from working on anything further for NA7 related.

I have not seen a lot of love for Sprint owners of the Mega and have wanted to contribute for some time. I know there is one member I saw that has made a Deodexed, De-KNOXed version of NA7 but one must not have KNOX at all when installing it. That was not my case. I wish I had a lot more time to actually start or create a Custom Rom for the Sprint users but I don't ATM. I have also read/seen that some Custom Roms from other carriers for the Mega are able to be ported over easily. All the things I have done so far for my Sprint Mega are very achievable and can be done very easily with the many tools provided here at no charge to anyone.
    The posted update might be corrupt, because after I extract the update.zip file, I can't open update zip. It says can't open as archive.

Thanks.

It will not allow one to really open the update, trust me I tried right away to try and pull the stock recovery image to make into a flashable Odin file. I was going to try by other means but I ran out of time and had to come to work. I zipped the official update.zip file to upload it right when I got home for members here to have. You can't unzip further than update.zip. When I tried to unzip ( I can't recall the program I used ) it did advised me it was a signed file.

You must place it in your External Memory card ( not Root or sdCard0 ) and flash via stock recovery. It is an official OTA. If you recieve the official OTA it will be located in your Root/cache/ directory.

On a different note....... I just finished Deodexing the APK's and Jar files and flashed them via recovery and all went well. I am now able to start modding some files and add some toggles if possible and undo the file transfer permission issue that kitkat has done to secure the OS. I am going to try and add the flashlight toggle if I can as that has been one of my goals for this phone.