[TIPS, TRICKS, GUIDES and SHORTCUTS] Graphics Software Help for Themers

Search This thread

vanessaem

Retired Senior Moderator / Inactive Themer
Jun 7, 2010
Missouri City
TIPS, TRICKS, GUIDES and SHORTCUTS
Graphics Software Help for Themers

I created this thread for anyone who would like help or want to learn quick ways in which to make theming and/or modding easier while using various graphics software. This software includes Adobe CS(Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), GIMP, Paint.NET, Xara, CorelDRAW, Painter, etc.

This thread ideally should be able to help those who would like to use a particular program to create icons, launcher themes, boot animations, wallpapers, etc. There are lots of great theming help threads but within these threads there may be a few questions on how to use certain software to accomplish various tasks. A thread dedicated to just that would be ideal so as to not to deviate from the main topics of those threads.

All questions pertaining to how you would use a particular software for your creation are welcome and I would encourage other themers or anyone else who has knowledge and would like help, to please do so. :)

I am mostly familiar with Photoshop. I'm by no means an expert but I'm comfortable enough with the program to be able to be helpful wherever and whenever I can. There are XDA members who know more than I about this particular program as well the others mentioned.

I will add to this thread as much as I can and will also add helpful posts of other users to the OP.

Lets start:

How to open multiple images as Photoshop layers:

1. Opening Adobe Bridge and navigate to the folder that contains the images you want to add to your document. I have Bridge open to a folder on my Desktop with five images inside of it. I’ll select the first image (the one on the left) by clicking on its thumbnail.

NvMN3kf.png

2. Then, to select the other two images as well, I’ll hold down my Shift key and individually select images or click on the last of the five images (the one on the right). All five images are now highlighted and selected. Or CTRL+A to select everything in your folder.

EYO5Saf.png

3. With all of the images selected, go up to the Tools menu in the Menu Bar along the top of the screen in Bridge, choose Photoshop for a list of Photoshop-specific options, then choose Load Files into Photoshop Layers.

c5WrnL7.png

4. Photoshop will open automatically, if it’s not open already, and will add all five images (or as many images that you have selected) into the same document. It may take a few moments for Photoshop to process everything, but when it’s done, you’ll see a single document open on your screen containing all of your photos.

EPvcm0C.png

(Photoshop) How to apply an action for your images. You can record an action and set it to one to three buttons. (Photos may be provided later)
1. Go to Window and click Action and the Action popup or menu will show on the right.
2. Click the drop-down next to Action and click New Action.
3. Name your action whatever you'd like. Where it says Function, I would recommend creating one so you don't have to keep selecting your action and clicking the Play button every time you want to use your action. For example, you can make F2, Shift+F2, or Ctrl+F2 a function and anytime you you want your action to start, just click the button or button combinations you made.
4. Click Record and perform your action from start to finish then click the Stop button. Now all you have to do is keep clicking your pre-programmed button anytime you want to use these actions on your images.

(Photoshop) How to batch apply one action to multiple images. Once you have a recorded action you can apply it to an endless amount of images at one time without pressing anything.
1. Go to File > Automate > Batch.
2. At the top in the Play section, where it says Set, find your folder in the drop-down.
3. Underneath Set you will see Action. The drop-down will have your pre-programmed actions and select the one you want.
4. Now go to the Source section. Click the Choose button and select the folder in which you would like your image files saved then Click Ok.

Last edited:

vanessaem

Jun 7, 2010
Missouri City
Good job, are you still playing on adding more to this thread?

Thanks a lot. I would like to but don't have the time at the moment. This thread was also created for the community. It's for anyone looking for troubleshooting with the various graphics programs used to theme. Any and everyone could take part and is encouraged to do so. But I guess no one needs the help...lol.
However, the thread is still here. :)

Reactions: xenreon

Samuel2599

Dec 27, 2015
Shillong
On gimp, I opened a .PNG file, a quick setting toggle icon to be specific, it is in a greenish-yellow color and I wanted to change to white. So I set the foreground color to absolute white and picked the pencil tool, lower its size down to a pixel then I clicked on the image,expecting white color to fill the pixel, instead it "popped" out the same greenish-yellow color of the original image. Tried another tool, still the same result. But tried another .PNG image and BAM! white comes out.......then I realized some .PNG images worked while some didn't. Does anybody know what's causing this?
I'm still new to GIMP :)

And also the foreground color never changed from white and background never changed from black......... also if black is used as foreground color it works. So what's wrong with white??

Last edited:

vanessaem

Jun 7, 2010
Missouri City
On gimp, I opened a .PNG file, a quick setting toggle icon to be specific, it is in a greenish-yellow color and I wanted to change to white. So I set the foreground color to absolute white and picked the pencil tool, lower its size down to a pixel then I clicked on the image,expecting white color to fill the pixel, instead it "popped" out the same greenish-yellow color of the original image. Tried another tool, still the same result. But tried another .PNG image and BAM! white comes out.......then I realized some .PNG images worked while some didn't. Does anybody know what's causing this?
I'm still new to GIMP :)

Are you trying to do image masking in order to fill a particular area white?

Samuel2599

Dec 27, 2015
Shillong
Actually, Im trying to add white on top of the old color to as to change the whole icon to white. If that is what you also meant, then yes....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TIPS, TRICKS, GUIDES and SHORTCUTS
    Graphics Software Help for Themers

I created this thread for anyone who would like help or want to learn quick ways in which to make theming and/or modding easier while using various graphics software. This software includes Adobe CS(Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), GIMP, Paint.NET, Xara, CorelDRAW, Painter, etc.

This thread ideally should be able to help those who would like to use a particular program to create icons, launcher themes, boot animations, wallpapers, etc. There are lots of great theming help threads but within these threads there may be a few questions on how to use certain software to accomplish various tasks. A thread dedicated to just that would be ideal so as to not to deviate from the main topics of those threads.

All questions pertaining to how you would use a particular software for your creation are welcome and I would encourage other themers or anyone else who has knowledge and would like help, to please do so. :)

I am mostly familiar with Photoshop. I'm by no means an expert but I'm comfortable enough with the program to be able to be helpful wherever and whenever I can. There are XDA members who know more than I about this particular program as well the others mentioned.

I will add to this thread as much as I can and will also add helpful posts of other users to the OP.

Lets start:

How to open multiple images as Photoshop layers:

1. Opening Adobe Bridge and navigate to the folder that contains the images you want to add to your document. I have Bridge open to a folder on my Desktop with five images inside of it. I’ll select the first image (the one on the left) by clicking on its thumbnail.

NvMN3kf.png

2. Then, to select the other two images as well, I’ll hold down my Shift key and individually select images or click on the last of the five images (the one on the right). All five images are now highlighted and selected. Or CTRL+A to select everything in your folder.

EYO5Saf.png

3. With all of the images selected, go up to the Tools menu in the Menu Bar along the top of the screen in Bridge, choose Photoshop for a list of Photoshop-specific options, then choose Load Files into Photoshop Layers.

c5WrnL7.png

4. Photoshop will open automatically, if it’s not open already, and will add all five images (or as many images that you have selected) into the same document. It may take a few moments for Photoshop to process everything, but when it’s done, you’ll see a single document open on your screen containing all of your photos.

EPvcm0C.png

(Photoshop) How to apply an action for your images. You can record an action and set it to one to three buttons. (Photos may be provided later)
    1. Go to Window and click Action and the Action popup or menu will show on the right.
    2. Click the drop-down next to Action and click New Action.
    3. Name your action whatever you'd like. Where it says Function, I would recommend creating one so you don't have to keep selecting your action and clicking the Play button every time you want to use your action. For example, you can make F2, Shift+F2, or Ctrl+F2 a function and anytime you you want your action to start, just click the button or button combinations you made.
    4. Click Record and perform your action from start to finish then click the Stop button. Now all you have to do is keep clicking your pre-programmed button anytime you want to use these actions on your images.

(Photoshop) How to batch apply one action to multiple images. Once you have a recorded action you can apply it to an endless amount of images at one time without pressing anything.
    1. Go to File > Automate > Batch.
    2. At the top in the Play section, where it says Set, find your folder in the drop-down.
    3. Underneath Set you will see Action. The drop-down will have your pre-programmed actions and select the one you want.
    4. Now go to the Source section. Click the Choose button and select the folder in which you would like your image files saved then Click Ok.

Good job, are you still playing on adding more to this thread?

Thanks a lot. I would like to but don't have the time at the moment. This thread was also created for the community. It's for anyone looking for troubleshooting with the various graphics programs used to theme. Any and everyone could take part and is encouraged to do so. But I guess no one needs the help...lol.
    However, the thread is still here. :)
    Actually, Im trying to add white on top of the old color to as to change the whole icon to white. If that is what you also meant, then yes....

I'm not sure if GIMP had anything to do with one .png's ability to work properly over another. However, it may depend on the quality of the actual image itself.